Will You #7

by: yselvin

#YouAintNoMuslimBruv is a hashtag that was inspired by an eyewitness to a stabbing at Leytonstone station in London. The eyewitness shouted the hashtag at the suspect while police held him down. Soon after the incident was publicized the hashtag became a trending topic on social media. It is a topic that has a lot of people thinking more openly about how they judge a certain religious and/or racial group. In my opinion,I feel the hashtag is bringing a lot of necessary awareness to the culture of Islam and what it’s really about.

All the propaganda about Muslims is somewhat seized due to this hashtag. It’s giving people the chance to actually drop their false judgments as well as giving Muslims a platform to speak out about their culture and not opinions but actual facts. The Muslim community is not based off of violence or terrorism. Islam teaches peace, love and respect. “If anyone slew an innocent person it would be as if he slew the whole mankind and if anyone saved a life it would be as if he saved the life of the whole mankind” this is translated from the holy Qur’an (5:32). This is clear proof that Islam is not about violence. This is one fact people fail to realize. Islam and terrorism do not go hand in hand. Although,all religions do not support nor promote violence you can not point the finger to just one religious group.

This hashtag stops the stereotypes which I love. It lets everyone know that you can’t judge a nation because of a few individuals. Terrorism attacks have nothing to do with religion but something to do with an individual and their own humanity. This hashtag let’s it be known that those who claim to be Muslim but are attacking others are an embarrassment and not respected by the Muslim community. The hashtag is an eye opener for many in the world and hopefully it helped change their views on the religion and culture. Always remember terrorism is not a religion and if you believe they’re related in some way then #YouAintNoMuslimBruv.

Wonderful Blog

swilliams's picture
Submitted by swilliams on Fri, 2016-01-08 16:12.

Excellent Blog Yasmine. Your blog was very interesting ans stating your opinions was very true. Muslims are defined as peace, love, and etc. Not all Muslims are bad people because of the actions that been going on in many countries. When you stated that you "cant judge the nations by few individuals" and you were completely right. That's like saying you cant judged the book by its color. You made me realize how you cant a,ways believe in all of the propaganda about all Muslims.

I completely agree with you.

Submitted by rpreziglesias on Fri, 2016-01-08 16:25.

I completely agree with you. I love that this hashtag separates terrorism from Islam. The religion in no way has ever supported violence. Many people don't know this and simply judge based off stereotypes and what they see in the news. Fortunately, this hashtag has gained publicity and hopefully has expanded the minds of some people.

This post was very

Submitted by Kelsey on Fri, 2016-01-08 16:35.

This post was very interesting. I had no idea that this was a trending hashtag right now. Having messages like these spread to people across the world through social media can be very powerful and it's a good way to get an important message like this one across! I like how you use evidence directly from the Qur'an to prove your point and how you say it is not from the religion that terrorists are born but from their humanity. What do you think causes these people's humanity to be less than others then? Are they simply like other criminals who foolishly act out or make mistakes? Or do you think that religion does play a part and by misinterpreting the Qur'an they are bolstered and given confidence to perform atrocities, unlike the majority of Muslims who are peaceful?

I like your piece, very

Submitted by cniegos on Sat, 2016-01-09 01:39.

I like your piece, very creative and empowering. I agree of what you saying that not all muslims are bad. People should just stop stereotyping other people. Great job on your work piece. Love the idea of hashtag by the way, lol.

Well done sis :)

Submitted by tewilliams on Mon, 2016-01-11 00:37.

Your piece really flowed and was eloquently written. But I think the stereotypes or "propaganda" as you said, isn't seized just because of a social media hashtag. Society will still have that paranoia of persons who even look Middle Eastern.
I liked how you bought a quote from the Qur'an , its very reactive to the whole idea of your piece. And beautiful ending, kind of comedic but still serious. Other than a couple punctuation errors, your work was well done.