Womans Rights For All

During the Oscars Patricia Arquette, winner of best supporting role for Boyhood, briefly yet powerfully discussed her view on our fight for equality for women. She believes that it is time for society to speak out and support woman's rights; specifically equal pay. Arquettes ambition to achieve the goal of completely equal rights is far from completed though she will continue to fight for the power of women everywhere. In an interview Arquette says "It's time for all women in America and all men that love women, and all the gay people, and all the people of color, that we've all fought for, to fight for us now."

I agree there should be equal

Submitted by JesusSalazar on Fri, 2015-02-27 14:55.

I agree there should be equal rights and equal pay for all women. In her speech she also talks about how equal pay for women is a necessary thing and and how something needs to be done.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/oscars/patricia-arquette-money-...

Social changed has ripped

Submitted by mravarino on Sat, 2015-02-28 14:12.

Social changed has ripped through America in the past 50-60 years and will continue to do so until we reach equality for all. As Patricia Arquette accepted her Oscar late February 2015, she said in her speech that it is now time for women to start being paid equally. This was just a sentence, but her closing line of her speech made the whole thing more powerful. Now, no tomorrow women will not be paid equally because a supporting actress said so at the Oscars, but this does bring about something important. The more people talk about inequality within the United States of America, the more they will advocate for a change, and hopefully the more Congress and legislators alike will fight for a change in the laws. It is important that people like Patricia Arquette with power and fame advocate for changes like these because their voices are so much louder than some others'.

Patricia has received a lot of backlash from what she said after receiving the Oscar onstage and for what she said backstage. She failed to mention other oppressed groups. However, no one else said what she said. She is a strong independent woman advocating for the change she wants to see. Many people want to see many changes in America, but for Patricia she wants to see gender equality.

Patricia's speech speaks loudly of the theme ambition. Patricia has a strong desire for America to achieve full equality among genders. As an actress, she has a loud voice, and with a loud voice she can work hard and help women from all over the country strive for equality. I believe Patricia had good intentions with what she said at the Oscars. I just hope she actually advocates for a change and doesn't let it become just something she once said. She could really help women everywhere. Ambition lacks in so many people, and if she were to light a fire under some people, I cannot imagine what type of social change would come about.

A link to what Patricia Arquette said at the Oscars is below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZeV9Sm3ywM

Award speeches can tend to

Submitted by mschmiett on Sun, 2015-03-01 12:01.

Award speeches can tend to all sound the same: thanking mom and dad, the director, and above all the acadamy. What can be extraordinary and wonderful about the Oscars, is when people get on stage and have a reason and power behind their speech. Patricia Arquette went on stage in one of the most public setting in the world to display her ambition to the world: equal rights for all women.

It is very simple, yet often overlooked for women's inequality is not always as visible as others'. This desire to become equal has brought forth the age of the "feminist" who support "women's rights on the grounds of political, social, and economic equality to men" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/feminism). But as women still try to show that they deserve equal pay, some are saying that feminism is rash and undermining women along with minorities. Arquette was highly criticized for her speech, saying she is too privileged and doesn't fully understand, but also that her speech "prevents oppressed people from actually getting redress". But I would like to argue in that maybe Arquette wasn't necessarily fighting for herself, but is speaking out for those who would never have to opportunity to speak in such a public setting filled with people with enough money that can ACTUALLY fuel society to make a difference.

Critics go on to say that Arquettes' speech was 'weird' because "she suggested that women deserve wage equality with men because they give 'birth to every taxpayer and citizen of this nation.'" While maybe having babies doesn't qualify you for equal pay, it certainly shouldn't make you subject for discrimination. Without women, people wouldn't be able to discriminate, for they wouldn't be alive. Same goes for men, for it takes two, but women are the home and starting point for every single life.
http://theweek.com/articles/541337/feminisms-oppression-obsession-underm...

Emma, I enjoyed your post

Rachelstruhs's picture
Submitted by Rachelstruhs on Sun, 2015-03-01 19:37.

Emma, I enjoyed your post about Arquette's acceptance speech. I watched the Oscars and she had a lovely response to winning. I agree that women should be granted equal pay and with her being such a prominent actress it was good of her to shine light on the inequality of women in the workplace. This video sheds a different light on the situation, give it a listen if you feel like it.
http://www.msnbc.com/melissa-harris-perry/watch/arquettes-comments-launc...

I agree

Submitted by NateHigley on Sun, 2015-03-01 20:32.

I saw this speech during the oscars and it got a staining ovation. I think it was very powerful for her to say that on such a popular award show, and she made a great point. Women and men should be equal, in pay and everything else. With more high profiled people speaking out like this, I believe changes will start happening quicker.

Throughout history, people

Submitted by RaquelMarkham on Sun, 2015-03-01 21:39.

Throughout history, people have struggled towards achieving equal rights, as we continue to fight today. Most recently, the problems with wage inequality based on gender have been brought to our attention through this moment with Patricia Arquette at the Oscars. The "LA Weekly" talks about this unforgettable moment and how it is inspiring change in the California legislation, in Dennis Romero's article, "Patricia Arquette's Oscars Speech Inspires Equal-Pay Legislation." It is incredible how large of an impact moments such as this can have not only on the opinions of the public, but also on our government, as it can truly create change, as can be seen in this article in the "LA Weekly." It explains that a bill has been proposed to "strengthen California’s equal-pay laws to ensure that women are paid equally for work that is comparable to their male colleagues and do not face retaliation if they discuss or ask about pay at work," as said in a statement from the office of the bill's author.

This speech, as well as the bill, largely coincide with the theme of justice found throughout society. Allowing women to discuss their pay without retaliation is the just thing to be done, and now it can finally become a reality.

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.laweekly.com/news/patricia-arquettes-oscars-speech-inspires-e...

Emma, I really enjoyed your

Submitted by SydneyHartman on Tue, 2015-03-03 00:03.

Emma, I really enjoyed your post. Very short and simple but got the the point that needed to be addressed. I agree that women should have equal rights just as everyone else. I especially liked the quote you inserted about how everyone needs to fight for our rights now. Here's an interesting article that I think you'll enjoy!

http://www.unwomen.org/en/what-we-do/post-2015/un-women-position

Hi Emma! I like your

Submitted by saylorsoinski on Tue, 2015-03-31 13:57.

Hi Emma! I like your discussion of Patricia Arquette's speech. You gave a good summary. I am a huge supporter of women's rights, but I wish Patricia Arquette would've been more careful not to make it sound like the fight for gay people and people of color is over. I think she could've been a little more inclusive about us all needing to help each other.
Saylor