Women are forced to accept a false idea of what they should look like

Women are forced to accept a false idea of what they should look like. They feel as if they have to diet and wear makeup to look “pretty.” “Billions of dollars are spent on the "weight loss industry" yearly” according to The Culture Of Beauty in the article "The Images of Women Are Unrealistic and Hurt Women." Women always feel bad about the way their bodies look because of the false ideal body image that is always shown in the media. What people do not understand is that this image is unrealistic and photoshopped. People need to love their bodies and accept that everyone is different and beautiful in their own ways.

When people are not confident they allow others to judge them and base their views of themselves on what others think of them. Allowing others to judge us just diminishes our self confidence and self worth. "People may zero-in on imperfections that others don't see, because everyone else is too worried about their own appearance to notice" according to Carlin Flora in the article "Individuals Should Focus on Self-Acceptance."

Works Cited:
Anderberg, Kirsten. "The Images of Beauty Are Unrealistic and Hurt Women." The Culture of Beauty. Ed. Roman Espejo. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2010. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "Radical Body Politics for Women." off our backs (Nov.-Dec. 2004): 54-55. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Apr. 2016.

Flora, Carlin. "Individuals Should Focus on Self-Acceptance." The Culture of Beauty. Ed. Roman Espejo. Detroit: Greenhaven Press, 2010. Opposing Viewpoints. Rpt. from "The Beguiling Truth About Beauty." Psychology Today (May-June 2006): 62-72. Opposing Viewpoints in Context. Web. 8 Apr. 2016.

I love the topic you picked,

Submitted by Mackenziedaily on Sun, 2016-04-10 13:06.

I love the topic you picked, because it is super interesting and relevant. You seem to have a lot of information about this so far, but if you are looking for more I would research on why beauty is such a big part of society.

Very relevant

Submitted by leximaggelet on Sun, 2016-04-10 19:52.

This is a great research topic. Not only is it very relevant, but it is definitely worth becoming educated on because you will have the ability to help a lot of girls who really struggle with this. It is something that needs to be changed, so I am so excited to see where you go with this essay. Keep up the good work!

You seem to already have a

Submitted by oliviamartha on Sun, 2016-04-10 22:49.

You seem to already have a lot of good sources for your topic! It might also be good to include the statistics on what percent of women feel unhappy with their body image, just to add some concrete facts.

Very insightful! This is a

Submitted by Amy_Cremer on Wed, 2016-04-20 15:18.

Very insightful! This is a topic that means a lot you to me as a woman in todays' social media driven age. I think that women pay much too much attention to the way they will come across and the way they will be perceived by others, while men tend to not have this problem: they're just heard. Wonderfully expressed and well written.