Women Shelter

by: cniegos

The program started when a group of women volunteers dream of trying to helped women especially homeless women for shelter, food, and other supports that they needed. The mission of the Women’s Daytime Drop-In Center is to empower women and children to move from the streets to a home by providing ongoing and intensive counseling, case management services, transitional housing and a safe daytime refuge. It offers free services to any homeless woman and her children. Women can access WDDC services by dropping in Monday through Friday between the hours of 8am and 4pm. They seeking volunteers to help with them to day-to-day work at the center as well as skilled based work. Volunteers must willing to make a 4 month commitment and contribute at least 3 hours per week. Activities include: Bridget House Transitional Facility, Children’s Program, Employment and Financial Client Support, Meal Preparation, Office/Administrative Support, Outreach and Fundraising, SHE Project (Women’s Health), Weekly Group Assistance (Limited).

The WDDC serves an average of 150 women and children each month in a nurturing, home-like environment. Services are available at no fee to any homeless woman or child. The program was built for women that needed help especially at day time. Many shelters are usually open at night time. Mothers with their children have no place to stay during the day. The WDDC has evolved from its original mission of providing emergency and crisis response to a program of on-going support services. The Center is a great way to make a huge impact on the women and children.