Would you eat a bug?

Bug

Would I ever eat a bug? Before investigating the topic, one’s initial reaction may be a violent “NO”! However, once one indulges themselves further into the investigation, they may reconsider their reaction, as did I. Insects possess myriads of health benefits and possess great amounts of benefits for the environment. Therefore, not only will our bodies enjoy our friendly fun-sized treat, the environment shall as well. Thus, I would eat a bug due to the fact that not only will my health benefit, but the environment as well.

Bugs should be a part of someone’s daily diet due to the numerous amount of ways it may help one’s personal health as well as the health of the world. Already 2 million people are avid consumers of insects, which proposes the possible solution to world hunger (Beetlemania). The variety of foods that can derive from insects are vast, due to the fact that about 1,900 different species are edible (Beetlemania). With so many varieties of food, it is imperative to notice that starving countries may utilize this as a new source of food (Beetlemania). As 18chu stated in the hypothesis website, “most people find bugs disgusting but they are a good source of protein and they are also an alternative for food”. People in Central South Africa would actually 42 caterpillars daily during their rainy season, when food sources become very limited (Beetlemania). What 18chu brilliantly stated was that it was a great source of protein. Certain bugs are actually more abundant in protein than certain foods that we consider filled with proteins (Beetlemania). For example, 1 kilogram of caterpillars yields a whopping 280 grams of protein, however 1 kilogram of pork chops only yields 250 grams (Beetlemania). Bugs are more affordable as well. 33% of food prices would be cut in most countries, allowing food to be more accessible to more people, thus depleting the population’s hunger (Beetlemania).

Consuming insects is imperative due to the fact that it is beneficial to the environment. Insects require little amounts of water, for a quarter pound of crickets only requires a moist towel at the bottom of the tank. To supply a third of a pound from a cow requires 869 gallons of water (Glausiusz). Bugs also release less carbon dioxide than other sources of food. One kilogram of cricket will only release 2 grams of carbon dioxide, while every kilogram of cow will release 2850 grams of carbon dioxide (Beetlemania). If people were to consume bugs more often, 30% more land would be available (priorly used for livestock) (Beetlemania).

Consuming insects is not only better for you in terms of your health, but it is healthy for the environment for raising insects is less costly (monetarily and environmentally). Thus, people should rid themselves of any prejudices and be open minded into this interesting cuisine. The myriads of the new foods now available will aid world hunger as well as your hunger. These healthy creatures will benefit you only if you open your eyes to try.
Bibliography
18chu Comment
Bug. Digital image. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 May 2015. .

Frost, Adam, and Paulo Estriga. "Beetlemania: Should We All Be Eating Insects? | Infographic." The Guardian. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 May 2015. .

"June 2015." Discover Magazine. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 May 2015. .