Would you rather Steal or save up?

by: 16dasd

I created the Scratch animation "Would you rather steal or save up?" as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that teaches you a life lesson and what could happen to you in a situation like the one we made.

My story is about two kids John and Adam who look forward to get new skateboards but one of the kids named John didn't have enough money to buy the skateboard so he asks adam to steal the skateboard that says given on it and Adam had to make a decision of either stealing it or going to John and say no to him. Adam had to make a decision or listen to john since he was pretty cool in school and wanted to be a good friend of his.

The day the we were assigned this project I was brainstorming ideas and on the way home I passed a skateboard shop and there was two boys talking about buying skateboards. I thought why not make these boys steal and that is how I got the idea.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I made it in 3 minutes and it was interactive. It is also appropriate for 13 year olds.

cool story bro!

16bermejoa's picture
Submitted by 16bermejoa on Wed, 2012-01-04 14:49.

cool story bro!

Good Ethics

16krevoyb's picture
Submitted by 16krevoyb on Wed, 2012-01-04 14:55.

I liked the way you took real pictures and made them fit in your animation.

I feel like you could of timed the way the characters talked better because sometimes it was a little off.

The ethical dilemma in your story is a very important lesson to learn. Your story does a good job teaching its viewers that stealing always is the wrong thing to do no matter how much you want something. I also liked the display of the lesson.

Comment

16belchikovn's picture
Submitted by 16belchikovn on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:38.

I liked that you included his thoughts as he was faced with the problem. I thought the realistic backgrounds fit the story/scenes.
I noticed your timing for the talking was a bit off though but overall it was pretty good.
The ethical dilemma in your story was that the main character was being pressured to steal a skateboard he really wanted. He wasn't sure if it was right to steal or just save up money and buy it for himself. It was the wrong choice to steal it and you could tell because stealing is a dangerous choice. You could get caught and go to jail, it's also wrong to take something that isn't yours and take it for your own. Even if it's in a store.

I liked the ethical dilemma

16huday's picture
Submitted by 16huday on Thu, 2012-01-05 23:14.

I liked the ethical dilemma presented in your animation. However, I did noticed that the character's speech was a bit awkward. The ethical dilemma in your story was a friend being told by his friend to steal a skateboard. I understood the choices and the the lesson you're trying to teach.

Nice

Submitted by 17brickmanl on Thu, 2012-04-26 10:08.

Your animation was pretty interesting. It had the different characters, the background changes, and so forth. I can see a lot of hard work was put into it.

However, I do think the ethical dilemma was a little easy to "solve". I think most people wouldn't help steal the skateboard.

Other than that, nice job! :)

I thought that your animation

17zhul's picture
Submitted by 17zhul on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:21.

I thought that your animation was very interesting! The ethical dilemma presented in the animation was very realistic. I thought that there was obviously a right choice and a wrong choice. But other than that, I liked everything about the animation.

I liked the realistic

17schleyerj's picture
Submitted by 17schleyerj on Thu, 2012-04-26 13:47.

I liked the realistic backgrounds that you had in your animation. I also think that there could be a little more of a story at the end of the story, instead of just blue or red backgrounds.
The ethical dilemma was obvious, either you steal or you save money, like the title said.

I liked that I felt like I

Submitted by 17bergersonc on Fri, 2012-04-27 13:52.

I liked that I felt like I understood both of the characters personalities. One character wanted to do the right thing, but not make his friend mad and his friend didn't care about doing the right thing as long as he got his skateboard.

I thought the ethical dilemma was definitely something a few children are faced with but the answer in very obvious. It is known that if you steal, you will probably go to jail and if you don't you won't. Maybe you could've show us more of the benefits of stealing the skateboard.

Overall... nice job!

I like the story, because it

Submitted by 17shermangodfreym on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:00.

I like the story, because it is interesting and draws in the reader. One thing about the ethical dilemma is that the story does not continue after you decide to steal the skateboard. Instead of giving you a chance to succeed or at least showing you attempting to steal it, the story just basically says "You Fail!", which is sort of depressing.

Sk8bOrdS

Submitted by 17wangl on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:02.

I really liked your animation because it kept me entertained. However, in the end, when there is supposed to be an ethical dilemma, there kind of was none, because all that happened was just telling you whether or not you made the right decision.

I really like how you use

Submitted by Adrian on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:06.

I really like how you use real word pictures to make the animation more, real.  If there were colorful drawings than you will have problems including non realism

I also like the ethical dilemma in the animation. Even though it is very repetitive, I likey!

I liked the story. It is one

Submitted by 17kimjn on Fri, 2012-04-27 14:06.

I liked the story. It is one of the most famous story morals, and the quality was good except the timing was a bit of. The ethical dilemma was quite simple and I liked how we could type it in, not just click a sprite. However, I would like it if you continued the story, not just for 2 seconds.

I liked the backgrounds of

17tub's picture
Submitted by 17tub on Sat, 2012-04-28 09:29.

I liked the backgrounds of your animation, it was realistic. I think you could have made the animation a bit longer, but the story was understandable and easy to figure out. I think your dialogue was a little off. Overall, I think you made a good animation.

the animation was really good

Submitted by 17khaitovam on Sun, 2012-04-29 09:45.

The animation was really good, and it made sense. the dilemma was a little bit too easy to solve, and many people wouldn't steal the skateboard, knowing the consequences. i liked how you included Adams' thoughts. That helped me choose the better choice to make.
I feel that the dilemma was a bit too easy to solve, but otherwise, GREAT ANIMATION!

The ethical dilemma was easy

Submitted by 17levkoviche on Sun, 2012-04-29 21:38.

The ethical dilemma was easy to understand, and the animation was interactive, however I found the dialogue a bit confusing and out of time.

Good Job

Submitted by 17palominos on Sun, 2012-04-29 22:14.

i liked the way you presented and formed your animation it met and accomplished all the goals you set for it was more than 3 minutes
it also was iterestingly about a real life event that has a good chance of it happening in life. it also was based on the entire ethical dilema theme that the animation was supposed to be abou t aprt from this i found this animation to be interesting as your scripts as well.

I liked this story because

Submitted by 17oguchit on Mon, 2012-04-30 17:44.

I liked this story because viewers would be interested to see what would happen if you steal the skateboard. There were a few drawbacks, though. First of all, the dialogue was puzzling and the timing was a bit awkward. And also, the different endings could have been better since only one scene was shown and nothing happens (for each ending). You could have added the actual outcome rather than having an ending where it says something like "good choice". And by the way, the ethical dilemma is that you shouldn't steal or you will get caught and might have to face the consequences.

One thing that i liked a lot

17carpiok's picture
Submitted by 17carpiok on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:06.

One thing that i liked a lot about this animation was that it gave you a choice if you wanted to steal the skateboard or you didn't want to. When you made your decision, it would lead you to another page saying if you picked the right choice it would tell you that you did a good job in picking. The ethical decision was deciding if you waned to steal the skateboard or not.

I like the whole concept of

Submitted by Natasha on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:07.

I like the whole concept of the story. I think the ethical diccision is the deccision Adam had to make, if he wanted to help John steal or not.

I like the fact that it

Submitted by 17ramosal on Tue, 2012-05-01 09:08.

I like the fact that it actually teaches one a lesson of whether one does the right thing or the wrong thing. In addition to that the viewer has the option whether to select whether or not the boy steals it or not. Whatever we choose to do which in my case i chose not to steal it I was rewarded with a slide that says good job for not stealing. This story helps us realize the value of making good choices and also shows one how to act under pressure when doing something bad. The ethical decision is really good because it shows that one either takes the thing they want or work hard and reward yourself with getting the object you want the most.

Good Job! :D

I really liked the choice of

Submitted by 17bhowmikn on Wed, 2012-05-02 18:33.

I really liked the choice of the ethical dilemma. It is a life lesson to be learned and which some people do. At first, my answer was yes because I was eager to see what was gong to happen. I believe you should have included some sort of action instead of writing. Also, I was wanting to expect the same if my answer is yes. Overall, I liked your animation.

I liked how Adam's room was

Submitted by 17watsonn on Wed, 2012-05-02 20:30.

I liked how Adam's room was very messy.

The ethical dilemma was the choice Adam had to make between stealing or not stealing.