Would You Like a Soda With That?

by: abrann

In America, soda has become one of our most popular beverages. More than one fourth of all beverages consumed in America are sodas and it is estimated that over 60 million gallons are sold each year. Soda can be found everywhere in just about every restaurant and store and now, over 60% of all schools in America serve soda to the students. Whats alarming about this is the negative impact soda can hae on your health. 

Though it is popular with men, women, and children, many experts believe drinking soda may have serious health consequences. Some studies have suggested a link between drinking soda and obesity, dental problems and caffeine dependence. 

What are the Health Effects of Drinking Soda?

A lot of research has been done on sodas and why they are so dangerous and scientists have identified four ingredients in sodas that are particularly dangerous. 

Phosphoric Acid: May interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, which can lead to osteoporosis or softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients. 
Sugar: Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single user of refined sugar in the United States. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar. Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilepsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens. 
Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks can cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.

Dangers of Soda Pop (Carbonated Soft Drinks)

What's scary is that most people are unaware of the dangers of soda. The average American drinks 12 oz. of soda each day which can have huge effects on their health. Some people choose to drink diet soda to be healthier but it turns out they also have different health risks but thats a totally different story. I think more needs to be done to let people in America know how unhealthy these drinks are and restaurants should make more of an effort to provide alternatives.