The Yellow Mule in The Eyes Were Watching God

by: ctai

I am reading the book Their Eyes Were Watching God and I really enjoy it a lot. This book is filled with a lot of symbolism that represents many different things. In this part of the book we had to discover out what the yellow mule meant. The mule in the book had a special meaning to it because oif its nature and what animal a mule actually is. Some people may know what the mule is and some of them might now. A mule typically means a hard worker and have the ability to do many things that a normal person can't do. The mule in this book probably represent the slavery at this time that was going on. One page 76 there was this one passage where Janie talks about Abraham Lincoln and how he was freeding the slaves and that is what Jody did by buying the mule from the owner.

There was this one line that stook out for me. "Something like George Washington and Lincoln. Abraham Lincoln, he had the whole United States tuh rule so he freed de Negores. You got uh town so you freed uh mule. You have tuh free things and dat makes you lak a king uh something."

What this is trying to explain here is how important a situation can actually be. African Americans were powerless at this time and they were all usually slaves, so it didnt give them the right to do anything. Jody had the powers to turn things around and people should help end slavery. Slavery in my opinion is not the right thing to do and I am glad that ist has stop. Slavery killed a lot of people and this slavery symbolize the great news of how slavery actually ended and how it shaped the world today.

A scence from page 82-88 made me think about how everyone should be free and have fun whenever they want. People are allowed to do whatever they want with their lives. In the world people should get to know each other instead of hating on other people as well. People should learn from other cultures and use that to cooperate with others.

I really like the fact that this book shows a lot of symbolic meanies and how Joe and Janies relationship has been taken down to another level since Janie will not care about Joe anymore. Janie must run away from all her pain that she is suffering and move on and fine a better person for her. She should be happy.