You should do what you love to do because it makes you happy

by: SarahVH

This text is introduced and starts at 1:17.

I believe that you should do what you love to do because it makes you happy. I love working with animals, I always have and I always will. It’s been my dream to be a veterinarian since I was little, back when Animal Planet had actually good shows, one of my favorite TV shows that took place in a veterinary clinic and documented the things that happened there. I loved the idea of healing animals back to health and saving their lives. Unfortunately, later in life I found that I fainted at the sight of blood, so that wasn’t going to work out.

For a short while I wanted to be a baker because I love pastries and baking but still animals were part of my plan. I was going to open a pet friendly bakery. Where I made all natural animal and human treats. I could sell homemade pet toys and adorable mini sweaters next to big matching sweaters. That would have been fun too, until I thought more about it and realised that baking wasn’t my passion, it was just a fun thing to do on the weekends.
So the hunt carried on until I started to really become interested in genetics.

Most recently in the past couple of years and I found it fascinating. In seventh grade I learned that One way that it applies to the working world is the idea of taking traits of breeds that humans like and applying them to different breeds of dogs, cats and horses to breed the “perfect” animal for human use.

Over the summer of 2014 I had gone to the Galapagos Islands. The idea that some poor iguana from the mainland had found its way across the Pacific Ocean and onto the islands where over generations it adapted to the islands environment and learn how to survive. That just blows my mind and I wanted to figure out why. But in the end once more I realized that it probably wasn’t the job for me because I know that I would prefer a job that doesn’t takes place in a lab or office all the time. Even though it would probably pay better than what I really want to do, which is to be a zookeeper.

My love of animals will be put to the test a lot but, that’s the great thing about love, it stays strong as long as there is something worth working for and I will be working for the happiness of the animals. I know that it doesn’t sound like a very good job to some people, cleaning up cages, feeding, and taking care of the zoo animals but that is what I love to do. The people need to know that these animals are here for them, to teach them, and allow them to experience new things. Animals are what I love and what I’m passionate about and most importantly, they make me happy.

https://soundcloud.com/sarah-vanarsdale-hoot/tib-introessay-and-conclusi...

SOUNDS NICE

Submitted by Qfrazier on Mon, 2015-03-30 11:26.

I like the idea that you should do what makes you happy as long as it is peaceful. What if someone is harming someone or something but it brings them peace? Should they still do what makes them happy? Think about the whole picture. Life is not fair and people get hurt everyday. What are things people can do if they like hurting others? Can they join a sport, cook, anything. Should there be a limit to someone doing what makes them happy?

There is an end to everything

SarahVH's picture
Submitted by SarahVH on Tue, 2015-03-31 12:58.

Of course they shouldn't continue hurting people! That's terrible! Never ever should anybody purposefully hurt someone when they know that they are causing pain. But if their happiness comes from helping others and doing good, why stop?

Very Relatable Post!

18keegane's picture
Submitted by 18keegane on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:37.

I really liked your post. Your descriptions of how you went back and forth about what you wanted to do were really interesting. Your passion for animals had lasted through your childhood and into young adulthood is really inspiring. I too have had no idea what I want to do for my entire life and I've jumped back and forth between ideas, so I'm really happy that you've found something you'll be really passionate about. One day I hope to find that as well. Best of luck to you and your future!

I agree with your statement

18rydingm's picture
Submitted by 18rydingm on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:38.

I agree with your statement that we should do what we love and not what pays well because it best to do something you have a passion for because you will have to do it your whole life, even if its unconventional. But what if you get sick of it? what if your passion changes? what do you think someone would have to do if their life made a complete 180 and they changed their mind entirely?

Great Post!

Submitted by 18basantanit on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:39.

Dear :

I loved reading your post, I can totally relate to the struggle of finding something concrete in terms of careers and actually sticking to that choice. I like how you write numerous times that you have been confident about specific decisions at some times but after a while they don't seem to work out really well. This has happened to me many times as well. I have always been interested in cinema, music, mostly in the arts. When I was younger, I was interested in becoming an art teacher because I had and still have the talent, but as I grew up I realized that drawing was just a hobby and that I probably wouldn't be happy doing it as a career for the rest of my life. I can relate to you when you say that the idea around animals has always been an important part of your decisions, and I can say this about music for myself. I have always wished to have a career that relates and incorporates music, and I really hope I succeed in that area one day because it is what I truly love. I hope you accomplish your dream of becoming a zookeeper, and if that doesn't work out, I hope you find something related to animals that you really enjoy doing. Thanks for writing, I hope to see some new posts by you soon! (:

Your Passion

18hammads's picture
Submitted by 18hammads on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:41.

Dear Sarah :

I am inspired by your post, "You should do what you love to do because it makes you happy," because of how it shows your passion and love for animals.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I realized that it probably wasn’t the job for me because I know that I would prefer a job that doesn’t takes place in a lab or office all the time. Even though it would probably pay better than what I really want to do, which is to be a zookeeper." I think this is interesting because we all have to think about whether we want to go for our dreams, or go for a job that will grant us security financially. In a lab working with animals, you can have both which is a privilege.

Another sentence that I had to think about was: "That just blows my mind and I wanted to figure out why." This stood out for me because at this point I realized that people who love animals don't just love the animals but they are fascinated with the things they do.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of how nicely you convey your thoughts and experiences with your passion. You include setbacks and ideas you've had to get past these setbacks, and that inspires me.

Sara

I agree

18iguavillamarinj's picture
Submitted by 18iguavillamarinj on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:41.

I agree with your point that doing what you love will make you happy, but i ask this question. Is it better to do what you love for a little amount of money or do something you hate for a big amount of money? I think i would have to go with the last one because what i would do in that situation would be to do that job i hate for a couple of years, then i would quit and then pursue the job that i really enjoy. Do you think this is a good idea?

Awesome!

Submitted by 18dalyj on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:42.

I really like this post because it shows that people should do what they love. In your example you talk about how you really love animals but then you wanted to be a baker so you decided to follow you dreams and you wanted to open a pet friendly bakery. This is something that i say as you are saying always follow your dreams and dont let anyone put you down as you said in gallapagos islands you cant imagine what it was like for that poor iguana to cross the ocean by its self. In the end what im trying to say is good advice, like look at bill gates who left college to follow his hobbies and look where that got him!

Do What You Love

18cheunga's picture
Submitted by 18cheunga on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:42.

Dear SarahVH:

I am satisfied with your topic, "You should do what you love to do because it makes you happy," because if you are going to have a job where you do it for the rest of your life or for a long time, you should be happy with it. If you have a job you hate and you have to go there every day, it will not be enjoyable and you won't challenge yourself.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "My love of animals will be put to the test a lot but, that’s the great thing about love, it stays strong as long as there is something worth working for..." I think this is true because if you have a passion that will never grow old, you should make it worth it and do something you enjoy. Like you said, love for something will always be there.

Another sentence that I read was: "But in the end once more I realized that it probably wasn’t the job for me because I know that I would prefer a job that doesn’t takes place in a lab or office all the time." This stood out for me because it shows your certainty to what you want to do exactly. If you know your preferences, you can work hard to meet the goals and be satisfied.

I do agree with you that you should do something you love. One reason I say this is, as I mentioned before: You will be doing this for a long time or the rest of your life. You should be able to perform tasks that you enjoy because then you won't get bored of it. Another reason I agree with you is if you do what you like, you will be able to challenge yourself and make it fun. It won't feel like an obligation to do something, and it will be because you want to do it.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I will probably be able to relate to your posts. Like this post, I'm still unsure about what to do with MY life. When the time comes, I'll know for sure my passion and I look forward to other posts so I can relate.

Choosing a Career

18svirinavichyusn's picture
Submitted by 18svirinavichyusn on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:43.

I feel the same way! I've had swings about what I wanted to do with my life, and over all it scares me. I think that we shouldn't be making this decision at such a young age. Especially since college is so expensive! What if you don't like what you are doing? We don't have any experience! For example, if you hadn't encountered blood and gone to study veterinary things, and then in a middle of class you fainted? You had spent time and money on college. You would have to restart, from scratch. I find that terrifying! And though I do agree with the fact that you should do what you love, I find myself really confused about what I love, and I think that the only way to get around this is to try everything. Yet, that opens up more options and its harder to make a decision. I think this is a very big change in your life, deciding what you want to do with you life. It is very important but, can be very confusing. Yet, I believe one day we will figure everything out, and until then I will try my best to try everything.

General Discussion Response

18chub's picture
Submitted by 18chub on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:48.

Dear SarahVH :
I am happy with your post, "You should do what you love to do because it makes you happy
," because it shows to me that you have been pursuing your dream job for a while now. Since a child you wanted to work with animals, and now you still do.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "For a short while I wanted to be a baker because I love pastries and baking but still animals were part of my plan." I think this is interesting because you have wanted to pursue other dreams but you have always come back to animals.
Another sentence that I liked was: "My love of animals will be put to the test a lot but, that’s the great thing about love, it stays strong as long as there is something worth working for and I will be working for the happiness of the animals" This stood out for me because it is interesting to see that you do really love animals and you are very fascinated with working with them.
Your post reminds me of something that happened to me. One time I had a childhood dream. I would always switch ideas but I found myself repeating one more commonly then others. I then realized that sometimes what you love to do is hard to achieve and make a living in.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like to see if you follow through on your dream of working with animals.

I agree that people should

Submitted by 18espinosaa on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:49.

I agree that people should follow their passion and do what they love to do. This is not only because it would make working enjoyable and pleasant but because it gives meaning to what you are doing. Even so, I would also like to ask you what you would say to the person that has a passion in a particular career that requires talent, like playing sports for example, but just doesn't have the talent to actually pursue this occupation. I asked other people this and they said that this person should try to find an occupation in the same field. For example, you don't have to play the sport but you could possibly coach the team or report on how the team is doing. Anyways, I thought that this was an important point to discuss...

I Love this Discussion

18elemaryy's picture
Submitted by 18elemaryy on Wed, 2015-04-01 12:54.

Dear Sarah:

I am relating with your post, "You should do what you love to do because it makes you happy," because so many times people are caught in jobs in which they cannot function due to the fact that they dread being there. People should do pursue an occupation so that it doesn't seem like a "job" or a "chore".

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "I know that it doesn’t sound like a very good job to some people, cleaning up cages, feeding, and taking care of the zoo animals but that is what I love to do." I think this is honest because within society, people limit themselves to what appears to be part of the norm. When something seems like an anomaly to them, they try to avoid it at all costs. However, you embrace your open-mindedness and many need to learn to become like you.

Another sentence that I loved was: "For a short while I wanted to be a baker because I love pastries and baking but still animals were part of my plan." This stood out for me because picking a career path is nothing like some make it to seem. It is okay to be indecisive and that is the whole beauty of figuring out what you want to be in life.

I don't agree with you that you should only pursue what you love. One reason I say this is that what you love may not be the most convenient and beneficial for you. Another reason I disagree with you is because you say that loving what you do is substantial for a good job. Honestly, I believe there should be a middle-ground in which you find something that you love to do and it is also enough for you to survive in this highly competitive world.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you possessed the audacity to admit publicly that you'd pursue your passion despite what others may think. Therefore, your work is impressive.

I agree with your sentiment!

Submitted by milasherman on Fri, 2016-04-15 16:31.

I agree with your sentiment! That has been a continuous desire of mine, to find a job and make a living doing something I am actually passionate about. I like that you were reflective and realistic about your journey to this conclusion, and that you explained your thought processes and the obstacles that you came across until you found a job that was most suitable to your interests, that you could see yourself truly doing and loving! :) One thing I would recommend to strengthen your argument is to perhaps provide examples of other people who have had the same experiences and reached the same conclusions as you, and to perhaps interview people who have successfully found jobs in fields they are passionate about and who would have valuable things to say. Other than that, this was excellent! It's just always a good idea to expand generally to make arguments as convincing and compelling as possible.