You've got a friend in me?

I created the Scratch animation “You’ve got a friend in me,” as my response to a project to create an interactive ethical story. An ethical story is a story that teaches you a lesson. It shares a message that helps you learn a life lesson that can be used in everyday life.

My story is about Woody from toy story. When Andy gets buzz, he starts to leave Woody out and woody no longer the top toy. He must decide whether to be a good friend and help buzz when he falls into a hole, or save him. If he chooses to save him, Woody starts to become more involved in playtime, and he learns that him and buzz lightyear could become great friends and leaders. If he chooses to let buzz fall, he is even more neglected and hurt, because no one can believe what he has done. Andy doesn’t play with him, because he misses Buzz lightyear, so for that the toys don’t talk to you furthermore.

My story was inspired by my two little cousins, they are two years old, and twins. They argue a lot just to get a toy, and other wise an item the other one has. They were arguing about who had a toy and later that day, they watched toy story, while I babysat. From this I was able to make a story based on their actions and use toy story as a base.

I think I was successful in creating my story because I made a story in a little bit over 3 minutes. Children to the age of thirteen could view it. (It could be viewed by older ages, but they might not find it entertaining. My story has one ethical decision and it leads to two different branches of the rest of the story. My story is interactive with the user and the user is required to influence the decision. Finally, I was able to do it in the time frame given and it was posted on the scratch website.

Feedback

16benaresb's picture
Submitted by 16benaresb on Thu, 2012-01-05 15:53.

I enjoyed how you based it off Toy Story. I thought it was amusing and I love that movie.
I wasn't confused by anything because I understood everything that happened in your story. The ethical dilemma in your story was save Buzz from falling in a whole or to let him fall in the hole. I thought that it was clear and tempting enough.

I understood everything and

Submitted by 16linj on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:28.

I understood everything and the theme/lesson was clear. the movement of the sprites were also smooth. I like how it relates to toy story because in our modern society, if kids don't learn it from a parent figure, they will learn it from the TV shows that they love. Nice job

I liked that you used the

16riadc's picture
Submitted by 16riadc on Thu, 2012-01-05 20:34.

I liked that you used the actual toy story movie to create your story. Your ethical decision was very interesting and you made it a little hard for the player to chose what he/she should do, which is a good thing. I really like your story. It is one of my favorite ones.

asdfghjkl

Submitted by 16heronp on Thu, 2012-01-05 21:10.

like the beginning was totally cool... but like I told you in class.. Buzz wasn't in the hole...... when I pushed him... he didn't go down the hole... just kind of stayed there screaming... at the side of the whole..... where he was safe from dying..... LLOVE IT THOUGH!
I also had trouble reading the text b/c sometimes it would move kind of fast.. and I would miss it.... but also the pink whole flew.... and I had to press it multiple times for it to work.

LOV IT THOUGH