The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition - Preface and Introduction

Read, pose questions, write about the first part of Omnivore’s Dilemma and photos from Hungry Planet. Make SuperTracker profile.

Also See: Food 2 | Food 3 | Food 4 | Food 5

Step One of Six: Ask questions about these images from the book Hungry Planet: What the World Eats by Peter Menzel and Faith D'Aluision.

How to annotate on the images embedded above:

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Ask three types of questions when you "Start a new conversation" in NowComment and when you reply to annotations by others.

In the top, "Summary of Comment" box, write which kind of question your are asking, and put your actual question in the bottom, "Full Comment" box. You should have at least two of each type of question for this set of images.

1. In The Image Questions: These questions are about what you see in the image, and can be answered through looking closely, again and again.
  2. In The World Questions: These questions have real and objective answers, but you will need to access resources beyond this set of images to find the answers. You might find an answer by talking to a teacher or parent, searching the internet, or looking in another book.
  3. In Your Head Questions: These questions have no single objective answer, and you must think about them themselves to arrive at their own conclusions.

Step Two of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate the Preface and the Introduction of The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio for the Preface and Introduction of The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition, narrated By MacLeod Andrews. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of The Omnivore's Dilemma in the blue frame below.

How to annotate on the texts embedded above (while listening and pausing when needed):

In the top, "Summary of Comment" box, write which kind of question your are asking, and put your actual question in the bottom, "Full Comment" box. You should have at least one of each type of question for the Preface and one of each type for the Introduction.

1. In The Text Questions: These questions are about what you see in the text, and can be answered through reading closely, again and again.
  2. In The World Questions: These questions have real and objective answers, but you will need to access resources beyond this text to find the answers. You might find an answer by talking to a teacher or parent, searching the internet, or looking in another book.

Step Three of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and post a discussion on Youth Voices about reading The Omnivore's Dilemma using these words.

Use the guide: First Questions to write your journal entry, using at least eight of the words in this Quizlet.

Step Four of Six: Check out SuperTracker and Set up a Profile

SuperTracker can help you plan, analyze, and track your diet and physical activity.

Use hypothes.is to answer the questions on the SuperTracker Scavenger Hunt.

Step Five of Six: Start a conversation by posting a discussion about one of your questions.

Post a Discussion on Youth Voices about one of your questions that you wrote while annotating the "Preface" and "Introduction" of The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition using the guide: Adding a quotation to a discussion. Be sure to:

• Identify your inquiry question and how this quotation pushes your thinking.
  • Copy and paste two or three sentences from The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition.
  • Paraphrase the quote.
  • Write more about the signifigance of this in your own inquiry.

Step Six of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' The Omnivore’s Dilemma: Young Readers Edition discussion posts about the "Preface" and the "Introduction," using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Work you will have: 

1. 9-12 links to three or four of each kind of question (Image, World, Head) for photos in Hungry Planet.

2. 15-20 links to four or five of each kind of question (Text, World, Head) for the first part of Omnivore's Dilemma.

3. Link to a "first impressions" (http://youthvoices.net/firstquestions) post on Youth Voices about the first part of Omnivore's Dilemma with new vocabulary words.

4. Links to your answers in Hypothes.is for the SuperTracker Scavenger Hunt, and a link to your SuperTracker Profile.

5. A link to your "quote sandwich" (http://youthvoices.net/quoting) post on Youth Voices about the first part of Omnivore's Dilemma.

6. Two or three links to comments and replies to other students who have posted about the first part of Omnivore's Dilemma. ​

Badges: