First Steps with Paul Salopek
Paul's Welcome to Students
Welcome! We are so glad to have you along on this learning journey. We are going to begin by finding out about journalist Paul Salopek and his amazing walk. To get started, please do the following:
Step One - Write about two welcome videos:
- Listen to Paul’s welcome message to you and other students on Vimeo http://vimeo.com/107155620 or YouTube http://youtu.be/K9kIR6ebhpU?list=UUsuoH2mU0m0sbUCfkwk1kqg , which he recorded from Turkey in August, 2014. (He set off from Ethiopia in January, 2013.)
- Watch a short video in which Paul explains why he is taking a seven-year walk around the world: http://www.outofedenwalk.com/media/2013/02/out-of-eden-walk-trailer/
- Answer these two questions in a Google Doc after you watch the above two videos:
- What caught your attention or interested you about Paul’s videos?
- What questions or wonders do you now have?
Step Two - Read and Annotate one of Paul Salopek's Dispatches
Read and add annotations to five paragraphs or images in one of these three dispatches by Paul.
- Sole Brothers http://nowcomment.com/documents/28052 | Sole Brothers (Spanish) http://nowcomment.com/documents/28124
- Electronic Oasis http://nowcomment.com/documents/22680 | Oasis Electronic (Spanish) http://nowcomment.com/documents/28125
- "This Is Not A Life" http://nowcomment.com/documents/28129 | "Esta no es una vida" http://nowcomment.com/documents/28130
Step Three - Write, revise (in a Doc), then post a response on Youth Voices.
Use a Doc to draft and revise, then post on Youth Voices a response to either "Sole Brothers" or "Electronic Oasis" or " 'This Is Not A Life' " that includes quotes from Salopek's writing. Use the Basic Non-Fiction Guide http://youthvoices.net/basicnonfiction
Let's Read Together using NowComment
- Log in to NowComment by clicking the Google Log in button.
- Find the actual "Dispatch" by Paul Salopek that has been uploaded to NowComment.
- Double-click on five of the most important paragraphs, photos, or videos in the Dispatch, and either start a conversation or comment on a conversation that already exists (if any).
- In the first box, "Summary of Comment" paraphrase (put into your own words) what Salopek is saying in that paragraph.
- The second box, "Full Comment" is NOT optional for this mission. In that box elaborate for two or three sentences about the significance of Salopek's words in that paragraph.