Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising, April 2015

Annotate these resources from the historic, last week in April 2015 about "Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising, April 2015." Read and listen to these sources and annotate them. Then write a discussion post where you quote from these sources, and comment on other students' posts about Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising. Later go back to these sources, and engage with other students by replying to their annotations.

Step One of Three: Choose two or three of these seven sources below to read and annotate with other Youth Voices students on NowComment

Collected here are President's Obama's remarks, the state attorney's press conference, a reporter's interviews with people in Baltimore the day after the looting on Monday, April 27th, and commentaries with different perspectives--all from the last week in April 2015. As you are listening to a source or reading it, stop five or more times to paraphrase something that you think is important, then add your thoughts, ask questions, show your feelings and opinions, and make links to other sources. 

1. The #MomOfTheYear Controversy, The Brian Lehrer Show, May 1, 2015
  2. Baltimore Prosecutor Charges Six Police Officers, Calls Freddie Gray’s Death a "Homicide" Friday, May 1, 2015
  3. "You Can Replace Property, You Can’t Replace a Life": Voices of the Unheard in the Baltimore Streets, Wed., April 29 2015
  4. How Baltimore's Police and Poverty Fueled a Youth Revolt 4.29.15
  5. Remarks by President Obama on Baltimore - April 28, 2015
  6. The Baltimore Uprising’s Backstory
  7. Civil Rights Group Calls to End Militarized, Aggressive Police Techniques and Criminalization of Protesters in Baltimore

Let's Read Together using NowComment 

1. Log in to NowComment by clicking the Google Log in button. If you are already logged into your gmail, this will be easy.
  2. Find the actual article that has been uploaded to NowComment, by clicking on the blue bar at the top of the embedded article below.
  3. Double-click on five of the most important paragraphs, photos, or videos in the article, and either start a conversation or comment on a conversation that already exists (if any).