Today's Featured Discussions

Argument

Identity in "Life As a Kid"

Is identity genetic? Well is it, i mean you do get your looks from your parents, you might even get your temper from your parents…….but what does that prove? Nothing it proves absolutely nothing. Identity is based upon decisions. You may be short...

Gap Year

A gap year is a time for self-discovery, exploration, and adventure, but is it worth it. Frequently in between high school and college students will take a year off of school to pursue other ventures, whether that be travel, philanthropy, or...

Happiness and Its Subjectivity

The variability of friendships’ forms allows us as the human race to decide the friendships we participate in and how we express our selective kin-hood. It is our adaptability to these friendships. Thus, it is how close we keep our friends to us,...

Education in Oakland

I hate to say it but Oakland is a very divided city. Private schools and elementary schools in North Oakland and on Skyline BLVD have their own community and the parents there have a lot of money and they’re able to buy all the resources and the...

Is Identity Genetics?

Identity is the fact of being who or what a person or thing is. Genetics is an inherited trait from ancestors or parents. But is identity genetics? Does your height, size, racial background, skin color all identify who you are or what kind of...

Arts and Entertainment

Who I Am

Seasonal Shots

This is a seasonal shot! I took the one on the left during the summer, which I think is portrayed really well by the sun flower. This past week, I took the picture on the left which is the fall themed shot. I really like this one because of the...

Summer vs Fall

This is my backyard one of my favorite places to just hang out. The picture on the left is my backyard during the summer, notice how green everything is. On the right you have my backyard in the fall. The pictures are somewhat the same and you...

Tribute

Although I could not completely recreate Frank's photographs using light rings and motion photography I was able to understand and take something from his concept. His purpose for taking these photos was to help teach people how the little things...

Things I have learned so far...

So far in photography I have learned many different ways of developing my skills. I share with you a picture of me demonstrating one of Kodiak's Top Ten tips. This is a vertical shot that I took one night of a lamppost in my neighborhood. I have...

Booktalk

Modern Lord of the Flies

I previously discussed Lord of the Flies, reviewing what I liked about the book, and where I was. Now, I have come across a couple reviews regarding the recently released Maze Runner. One article described the new movie as, "a modernized version of...
1

Walter Dean Myers

Walter, the protagonist in Bad Boy, has a few traits that influence his relationships with others. One, he is excited about school. Two, he is embarrassed, Three, he is happy. These traits influence his relationships with others. For example he is...

Bad Boy - An Intriguing Life

Bad Boy by Walter Dean Myers is interesting for me because it talks about a young boy with an intriguing life. I feel that this book can describe a person in so many ways just by writing about yourself in a book. I did not read the whole book, but...

Richard, in Black Boy is gentle and adventurous

The first six pages of Black Boy by Richard Wright might leave a reader in disbelief because of what happens in the story. When the book begins, Richard is with his brother, then he gets bored in his house. Richard started a fire and burned most of...

Slaughterhouse-Five

Recently I have been reading the book Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. At first the book drew me in with its stylishly dark and very interesting title. I did a little research on the book and decided to try it out. As I began the book I...

Connected Research

Writing Analysis: An Exciting Experience

After writing my TIED analysis paragraphs for The Interpreter of Maladies I felt accomplished. I felt happy when I finished all my paragraphs but also after rereading them. After reading them I felt proud that I had elaborated and articulated my...

Response to Paul Salopek's "This is Not a Life"

In paul salopek essay, "“This Is Not a Life” ," the author saying that the government help syria. Well people over their need job to work but the government is going to stop help them because they don't have that much money. When we consider...

Response To Paul Salopek's This is Not A Life

In Paul Salopek essay, "This is not a Life" from National Geographic which can be found at http://nowcomment.com/documents/28129#.VEfIIfldWSo, the author summary is how the army is bombing the people houses then they don’t have no where to live....

Update: Student Debt

University of Montana student Mitch Everts drafted a bill that would allow students to repay loans by withholding 3 to 10 percent of their income taxes, and the state would transfer funds to the department of education. The bill was brought to the...
The average cost of college for an in-state public education for the 2013-2014 school year was $22,826; the cost for attending a private university averaged $44,750 (http://www.collegedata.com/cs/content/content_payarticle_tmpl.jhtml?arti...). This...

español

The Power of The Family

Hace mucho, un hombre llamado Juan vivía con su mujer Maria en una casa muy pobre , ellos no tenían muchas cosas pero tenían un gran amor que nadie los podía separar, después de algún tiempo decidieron tener un hijo , pero no se pudo , y luego...

Locura Y Amor

Eduardo Galeano: Cuentan que una vez se reunieron en un lugar de la tierra todos los sentimientos y cualidades de los hombres. Cuando el Aburrimiento había bostezado por tercera vez, la Locura, como siempre tan ocurrente, les propuso: "¿ Vamos a...

la vida de los inmigrantes

Hola Mi nombre es Daniela Cruz, soy de Honduras pero vivo en Austin Tx. Soy una estudiante de Eastside Memorial. En mi clase de English yo y mis otros companeros estamos haciendo un projecto de los inmigrantes y estamos invistigando la vida de los...
2

La vida de los inmigrantes

Queridos estudiantes Mi nombre es José Daniel Martínez soy de El Salvador , san Salvador y tengo 17 años de edad vivo en Estados Unidos en el estado de Austin Texas estudió en la escuala eastside memorial y estoy en el grado 11 . mi clase está...
4

La Vida de Los Inmigrantes

Hola My nombre es Donato Prado y yo soy un estudiante de la Eastside Memorial High School . Y my clase esta haciendo un proyecto de Inmigración . Y nosotros estamos recolectando historias y entrevistas de Los siguientes inmigrantes Por favor les...
2

From the Middle (6-8)

fire station reflection

The two thing I learn in the fire station is that there are two group one is 44 and 96.They both work together but they both do different stuff 44 rescue people and and 96 take down the fire.Also 44 has one of the tallest ladders in ny.

Fire Station Reflection

I learned there are 2 types of fire trucks i think its was very fun learning about 2 fire truck the number was 94 had the small latter and number 44 have a 85 high latter it was the most biggest letter in N.Y.C these are the interesting things i...

Pick-up Game

Boo, the protagonist in Pick-Up Game, by Marc Aronson has a few traits that influence Boo's relationships with others. One, Boo is Determined. Two, Boo is Hardworking. Three, Boo is Devoted. These traits influence Boo relationships with others. “...
Today our class took a walk around our schools neighborhood. The students created a map and directions from school to our local firehouse Ladder 44. The firemen gave us a tour of their fire station and even let us in the ladder truck! This was an...

My Baby sister

My baby sister is everything to me i don't know what i will do without her. But i ask myself why? Why do i have so many bad dreams about her. The dreams are so bad that i wake up scared and crying . All i want is the best for her. These dreams are...

Gaming and New Media

Six word memoir Broadside

Since games have became such an event in the modern world quite a number of teens even kids have set their sights on the video game industry. So many teens have went to the video game world that when someone says they are a gamer you would probably...

Tribute Photos

This photo was taken in 2014. It was inspired by Karl Blossfeldt a photographer her sculpted plants and objects and then photographed them. All of his photos are in black and white. His main focus was always the object he created. The object...

Social Networks and Political Activism

The other day I read an article in my Spanish class about whether it is a good idea to use social media to promote political activism around the world. There were people who talked about the negative influences that could come about from using...
1

What Makes a Social Media Site Successful?

All over, we see people using social media for everything. From valuable communication tools like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to dating websites like Tinder to less serious programs like Snapchat, everyone uses social media. So, what makes a...
3

Animated Introduction

Here's my animated introduction:

Letters to Decision Makers

GraceJ

Hola, I’m Grace and I go to Okemos High School. I can speak fluent Korean, and I have an older brother. My favorite thing to do is eat (anything I can get my hands on). I like all subjects but I'm not very good at math. My hobbies include tennis,...

My Name

Sarah, it’s a pretty plain name, nothing super different from everyone else, but it’s origin is out of the ordinary. A couple decades ago, my dad heard a song, “Sara Smile”. He really loved the song as a kid and early on decided if he had a daughter...

The story of my name

Noah is a Jewish name and my name is famous because my name comes from Noah's Ark. If you don't know Noah's Ark, Noah's Ark is a story that my mother used to tell. They say that God told Noah that it was going to rain a hundred and fifty days, then...

Black Boy

The first page of black boy was about how two boys who wanted to see the fire second they light the curtains on fire and then little brother said that if he don't stop that he was going to tell on him if he don't stop third the curtains got out of...

Read About Me

I am Paula-Christine Campbell. What's important to me? Family ( sort of) , laughter, having a good time. Oh and bacon, you can never go wrong with bacon, unless you’re a vegetarian then I guess turkey Bacon is ok. Right? A turning point that has...

Our Space (K-5)

Hurricane Stories

Given what people in New York and New Jersey are going through with Hurricane Sandy, I thought Youth Voices readers might like to see some writing by third graders in response to Hurricane Gustav a few years ago. Hurricane Gustav arrived, Labor Day...
4

My Shell

Beautiful Like a glimmering lake in the sun it shines so very brightly. On the outside. On the inside, it feels smooth, silky. But it doesn't shine as brightly, it may be bright, on the outside, but on the inside, it seems faded.
3

Documentary

Ocean acidification is a rising problem on Earth. It is a term used to decribe the rising acidity in the oceans. 1/3 of the carbon dioxide we edmit from burning ficil fuels is absorbed by the oceans. This equals to 1 million tones...

A Fish

A fish Blue peach colored Happy and good to be free Black and green A sea creature Tobie
1

Jazz Man

Jazz man Loud, tall Famous, blond, handsome Man who plays jazz. Musician. By Matthew
1

Our Stories and Poems

Trip to Florida - Personal Narrative

Disney World 2014 In the spring of this year, I went to Disney World with my Aunt Wendy and two cousins, Grace and Nolan. We stayed at the Port Orleans French Quarter Resort for eight days. We had a wonderful room, and the scenery outside fit the...

Patience

6 word memoir

Baby

The young lady was pregnant, she was eight months, almost due when a tragedy happened on the day of Halloween. Her baby was eating her alive. Her husband worriedly took her to the Emergency Room, she was in so much pain and didn't know what was...

Fall Vs. Summer

These are some mountains behind my neighborhood. They are stacked with mountain maple as well as scrub oak, so whenever fall rolls around, the colors of the leaves change drastically. Because of the climate, the leaves stay on the trees for a while...

Video Conversations

my name in pictures

My biography

I'm 17 and I live in NY. I'm from Europe. I was born in a south east country called Albania. I just have a year in US. I honestly expected more from this country but it’s fine. I thought it's going to be better and beautiful but no it's worse. What...
1

My Journal

Here Junilka and I were video chatting over Google Hangouts and talking about the journals we wrote in the morning at the youth voices program.

Journal

My conversation with Jennifer. We talked about what we put in our journals this morning and a little something extra.

Class Of 2015

The instructor said Go home and write a page tonight And Let that page come out of you-- then, it will be true I wonder is it that simple? Ms. Rothbard we finna be SENIORS next year Class of 2015 Freshman year from nothing to Senior year to being...
2