Today's Featured Discussions

Argument

Athletics Poll

Survey on Cults

Upon researching my topic for my paper I found some interesting information on Twitter. I found 'tweets' discussing one of the passages Marcus Luttrell had written in his book "Lone Survivor." Marcus Luttrell is a former member of SEAL Team 10 and a...
3

Oranic food increase

Through my research about organic food and genetically modified organisms I found that more and more Americans are demanding less pesticides in their food. In the article I read it talks about how the demand for organic food has increased: USDA...
1

Nuclear Proliferation Poll

Arts and Entertainment

The Raven

One gloomy midnight, while I sat in sorrow With ancient and skeptical number of books While I was sleep, I began to hear a tap A soft tap, on my door " just a Jehovah Witness" I muttered, "knocking on my door It could only be them Bruh, I remember...

Therapy Advertisement

In the poem "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe, is about a man who truly misses his loss love named Lenore. He did not know who to cope with anything. He did not know how to grieve properly. I made an ad with therapy that would help the man deal with...

Relieve Insanity

I recommend for those who are going mentally insane this journal to write in whenever they feel like they can't take it anymore. Since Poe went crazy after this wife, Lenore, died I think he needs this journal. This journal contains many topics that...

The Beatle's Research

In using Gale resources, I found out that The Beatles didn't just write some pretty good songs; they changed the standard of music and songwriting forever. I found an article that outlined The Beatles' rise to fame (which I unfortunately cannot...

The Quaff

This is an advertisement on how the narrator in "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe should use in order to get better.

Booktalk

Family is the best

By: Thinh and Luis P I think Tish would wear this T-shirt that we design is “Family is the best”. We design this T-shrit because even things are not going well and you have no one by your side you always know that your family will be there for you,...

first 6 stanzas of "The Raven" code switched

On a boring midnight, I thought to myself, tired and weak Over old and strange books While I nodded, nearly falling asleep, there came a tapping Like someone was knocking, knocking at my chamber door “Its a visitor,” I muttered, “tapping at my...

The Phone Call (The Raven)

Once at midnight when I was depressed and heartbroken, I was listening to Taylor Swift’s whole album and I almost fell asleep when suddenly my phone rang . “It’s unknown,” I said, “it’s probably them dudes-- them dudes that be selling their mixtape...

Keep Calm and Stay Strong

In the book "If Beales Street Could Talk" by James Baldwin,the main character Tish faces a whole lot of drama.Through all the drama and problems Tish went through,she learned how to stand up against the world and stay strong for her,her...

Book talk part 2

Booktalk (audio only)

Connected Research

Survey for Senior project!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FJDlC64BQEJPolVHKIngOdfUD0Sl6Q0YaqK7Kak... Please help me out with my field research. I know I'm a little behind but I hope I can get out some solutions from this survey. Thank you.

Modern Military

Recently I traveled down to Moab for the Easter Jeep Safari. Not knowing that it would help in my research project a week later. There at the pavilion I came across the newest installment of a Jeep in the military. Actually it won't even be used...

What I have learned about income inequality

Income inequality is how some people get too much and some people get too little but never equally. Something that causes inequality is reach people getting richer because of the work of poor people and low income people never prospered. Also...

Mythology in the Raven

1. In Greek mythology, the raven symbolized prophecy and was associated with the god, Apollo. They also can mean good luck because Ravens are the messengers of the gods to the mortal world. In Poe's poem, it could mean that the Raven is telling him...

Mythological references in "The Raven"

This is my research on the mythological references in the poem with the name "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe. “ Perched upon a bust of Pallas just above my chamber door-” (Poe, 7). In this quote, Poe talks about Pallas, or Athena, the goddess of...

español

Mi nombre

Mi nombre es William. Vino. de mi papa. Mi nombre me recuerda de mi papa. Mi nombre expresa gusta.

Cuentos de misterio

Una vez que yo fui con mi prima al cementerio estaba muy oscuro y me daba mucho miedo. Cuando estábamos caminando había un muerto que estaba vivo sentado en la tumba mirando con su ojos muy oscuro. Mi prima le daba mucho miedo porque el muerto...
Lei un articulo titulado “la metida de pata de la policía de Nueva york twitter.’’ LA idea central del artículo es que la policía quería fotos sonriente con los ciudadanos y le subieron foto de gente esposada. Mi opinion del artículo es que No me...

Pueden algun Diaz desaparecer los examenes

Lei un articulo titulado “Pueden algun dias desaparecer los exámenes.’’ La idea central del artículo es que vas cambia los exámenes pesadilla de mucho estudiantes. Mi opinion del artículo es que si que para mucho estudiantes es una pesadilla...

Pueden algun dia desaparecer los examenes?

Recientemente leí un artículo titulado “Puede algun dia desaparecer los exámenes?”Los exámenes son la pesadilla de muchos estudiantes. La idea central del artículo es que algún día desaparecen los exámenes. Mi reaccion al articulo fue bueno. Por...

From the Middle (6-8)

The Old Hound

This Scratch project is the second one I have created thus far in this school year. It was made and developed on the program Scratch. While being rather different from the first project I created, it was still the same overall process. It was...

A Foggy Morning Deer

At foggy morning, I woke up so early for jogging. When I got out of my house for jogging, I saw a deer under the tree where it was at backyard forest! I also saw a bird on that deer. I thought that there will be more deers. So I took the photo of it...

Being Hungry

Being hungry is a bad feeling. It feels like your stomach is yelling at you. It growls and it makes you space out and think of food then you can taste the food in your mouth. It makes you frustrated and mad. Its worst when you're somewhere out and...

Edonut

It all started in the Santa Cruz, CA. It was a disease called Edonut. That disease caused you to grow corn dogs and donuts all over your body. The disease doesn't kill you. It just make you look funny for the rest of your life. They were saying that...

Edonut

Gaming and New Media

March Madness

Ok so its March and that only means one thing, March madness. This basketball tournament is played every year with the hopes of crowning a new king. Every basketball fan in the united states tries to watch these games. Its conference verses...
On the web, it might look like a reliable piece of modern media and it is clean on the exterior. But in the inside, there are some or more hazards where ever you go, whether you are typing a book report or searching the online dictionary....
1

Internet is Innocent

Weblog In what way is the internet potentially dangerous? Our world in slowly progressing and becoming better and advance. But there is always some cons to something new. The internet, fairly new and a place where people post what they are...
1

Juan's Animated Introduction

Here’s my animated introduction: My name is Juan Carlos Alejo. I am from Mexico. I am 15 years old. I was born on April 7, 19-99. My mom is Maria de Lourdes and my dad is Lucas Alejo. I have two siblings, an older sister named Norma and a...
1

Andreina's Animated Introduction

Letters to Decision Makers

Dear Future English Teacher

Dear Future English Teacher: I am proud to be showing you some of my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program. It that shows my ability to “Freewriting Badge.” After you look at my work, I hope you will see why I think it's important to me...
Dear teacher who gives me a research project in the future: I am proud to show you my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program. It shows my ability to receive the “Annotating Badge.” After looking at my work, I hope you see my good annotating...

Commenting Helps with Understanding

Dear Future History Teacher, I am delighted to be showing you some of my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer program. It is the “Courageous Commentator” that shows my skills. After you look at my profile you see that I have commented on many...

Letter to new Superintendent Wilson

Dear Superintendent Wilson, I think some issues you should address as you begins your time in Oakland is to create more lights around the school because a lot of pedestrians have accidents for the reason of not having enough lights and there is a...

Letter to Oakland's New Superintendent

Dear, Mr. Antwan Wilson, My name is Cristina Alvarez, and I am a 12th grader at Fremont High School. I am writing this letter to you to let you know the issues that I am having at my school and what you can do that will help to improve Oakland...

Our Space (K-5)

Mr Linden's Library

He had warned Lindsey about the book now it was too late, because Lindsey read the book but she fell asleep as she was reading the book,and the book vines were coming out and Lindsey didn't feel anything. Is that what Mr linden had warned...

Hurricane Stories

Given what people in New York and New Jersey are going through with Hurricane Sandy, I thought Youth Voices readers might like to see some writing by third graders in response to Hurricane Gustav a few years ago. Hurricane Gustav arrived, Labor Day...
4

My Shell

Beautiful Like a glimmering lake in the sun it shines so very brightly. On the outside. On the inside, it feels smooth, silky. But it doesn't shine as brightly, it may be bright, on the outside, but on the inside, it seems faded.
3

Documentary

Ocean acidification is a rising problem on Earth. It is a term used to decribe the rising acidity in the oceans. 1/3 of the carbon dioxide we edmit from burning ficil fuels is absorbed by the oceans. This equals to 1 million tones...

A Fish

A fish Blue peach colored Happy and good to be free Black and green A sea creature Tobie
1

Our Stories and Poems

A Romanticism Text

In a beautiful night in the dubs, I drove my car throughout the night, lonely and desperate He was awaiting for a text I assume, but then distracted being lost in the music I was being very cautious on the dark broken roads yet very tempted My phone...

A Romanticism Text

Susan's Cow

A cold country night, tired and weak My sweet lady lore running in my head Falling asleep on my big truck i hear ruckus I hear dirty scar crow trying to act funny “Susan is that you,” I screamed. Knocking...

Modern day Raven

One gloomy night, while I was feeling low I was reading plenty of old books My head nodding, about to k.o, suddenly came a knock Someone came tapping at my door ‘This be my patna,’ I muttered, banging at my door Only them, and nothing more I...

The Modern Raven

One lifeless night, I reminisce,fragile and drained, Over the sweet and strange memories that we had- I almost fell into a deep sleep until I heard a strange knock Like if someone was trying to burst into my room “Is there someone out there,” I...

Teachers Teaching Teachers

How do current events affect your classroom?

Today I was on a conference all and learned about various programs of PBS NewsHour Extra, including the Teachers’ Lounge is a forum for teachers to discuss how the news affects their classroom. They publish first-person stories from teachers that...

Rain :)

Rain is something that i like. i like to run outside jump in the puddles the air is fresh on my tongue and get wet it’s fun running in the rain jumping in the puddles water splashing everywhere rain feels like the ocean splashing at my feet rain...

So much to do.

This was actually kind of fun. I think that there is worth in annotating on paper text and on computer based programs. I am a bit nervous that this might be a difficult venture to try and teach all of my students how to use youth voices and how to...

Today

Today was extremely useful in terms of learning a tool for my students to learn and read in a different format. Sometimes I feel so mundane giving them a paper article to write. I feel like they are so used to having paper articles and using a media...

Connected Learning is Learning for the 21st Century

In the 21st century students interact with text in a different way, especially because they are overwhelmed by different types of texts then our generation is used to. For example, students are frequently texting or using social media to communicate...

Video Conversations

thoughtless world

Thoughtless World My heart is broken and everyday my pain gets bigger I live in a world of pain and unloyalty. My heart is broken there are times the knife calls my name and it says to cut my arm.My heart is broken but I don't show it . My heart is...

My Journal

Here Junilka and I were video chatting over Google Hangouts and talking about the journals we wrote in the morning at the youth voices program.

Journal

My conversation with Jennifer. We talked about what we put in our journals this morning and a little something extra.

I'm going to make more BO2 videos

Subscribe.
2

Talking about the Jordan Davis Murder Trial

John and I talked with Mr. Allison about Jordan Davis after we read this testimony from his mother before the U.S. Senate. http://bit.ly/1pt4f3N