Today's Featured Discussions

Argument

Domestic Violence In the NFL

The NFL and its cases on domestic violence has emerged as one of the top stories of 2014. This all began in February of this year when Baltimore Raven's running back Ray Rice was arrested for violently attacking his fiancé. Roger Goodell, the...

Death, Ebola, and ISIS Oh My

I am not one to get caught up in popular media. I only ever hear about new goings-on in the world from chatter around school or at home. I am out of the loop, and honestly I could care less about getting back in. I do like to know what's happening...

Only the Hills Will Remember

This year was 2014. Behind the headlines, disappearing aircraft, threat of war, or racial violence, or the centennial of WW1, there was a something overlooked by most people. In 1914, not only did the war to end all wars begin, the last of the...

Bill Cosby Accusers come Forwad

Recently we have been seeing Bill Cosby from the internet to our television screens. Bill Cosby, a comedian and actor, has been accused of assaulting, drugging, and doing inappropriate things from at least 27 women. Cosby is most famously known for...

Ebola

Ebola. Literally a world wide freak out. For a couple weeks, the only things students were talking about, the only thing discussed at the dinner table, and stories posted all throughout the internet, Ebola took this world and scared all of us. This...

Arts and Entertainment

Kim Jong Un-Cool

The year 2014 has been an eventful year for media and world affairs. From domestic issues such as the Ferguson riots to international affairs like the ISIS takeover, the world has been rocked by a plethora of events. Amidst the scandals and the...

King Midas and the Golden Touch (rewritten)

There was once a king, a King Midas who had more gold than anyone in the world and adored his riches more than anything in the world. More than his home, more than his kingdom, more than women, and more than his daughter Marigold he says. One day...

Emptiness in My Heart

Throughout the year of 2014, I have experienced much more than I expected to. From inside jokes to national headlines, so many things have had an effect on my life. According to Google, Robin Williams was the top trending search topic in 2014 -...

2014: Robin Williams

I will never forget the scenes of Robin Williams fighting Dustin Hoffman in Hook as Peter Pan, leading the Lost Boys to liberation over the pirates; I will not forget the booming and lovable voice of The Genie in Aladdin; I will not forget Robin...

2014: Robin Williams

Booktalk

Bodega Dreams - Dramatic Reading

Bodega: So, you go to college, right? Chino: Yeah man, I go to public college, nothing big and fancy – Bodega: Check it out, you evah heard of Edwin Nazario? Chino: You mean the boxer? Bodega: Nah, same name, no relation...

Edgar's Dramatic Reading

Bodega You see, the men that made this country are men from the street. Men like me, like you, like Sapito here. Men that used whatever money-making scheme they could, and made enough money to clean their names by sending their...

Dramatic Reading

Bodega I placed fourteen families in the buildin’, cheap rent, too. You know what that means, Chino? Chino You a sweetheart? Bodega That too. But also, that’s fourteen families that would riot for Bodega. Fourteen families that...

Out of the Dust

Billie Jo, the protagonist in Out of the Dust, has a few traits that influence her relationships with others. One, she is courageous. Two, she is strong. Three, she is loving. These traits influence her relationships with others. “I am so filled...

Zhihong Ni's Dramatic Reading

So what’d you do with the building, once you renovated it? Bodega: I placed fourteen families in the buildin’, cheap rent, too. You know what that means, Chino? Chino: You a sweetheart? Bodega: That too. But also, that’s fourteen families that...

Connected Research

2014: A Summary

2014 was a year filled with celebrations and losses. People cheered on their favorite teams as the World Cup began in Brazil. Families mourned the loss of their children as the Taliban killed over 120 children in a school. Ebola outbreaks scared...

Cash Chasm

With recent gains in the stock market, over 700 points in the past two days, hustlers continue to tell the American public that the economy is recovering and better times are ahead for all. However, this directly contradicts a recent CNN article...

Ebola Revelation

2014 has been a year of excitement, innovation, and disaster. Some have found joy in the unprecedented inventions of the year, while others have felt the pain resulting from the tragedies of which we continue to feel the impact. While I was not...

What a Year

One of the biggest stories of 2014 was the sad death of Robin Williams at age 63. America was shocked on August 11, 2014 when he was found dead due to apparent suicide. Williams was on of our finest working actors and a huge part of many people's...

Why Should People Care About My Research

School uniforms is something that I think has great significance and people don't talk about it enough. People should care about my research in school policies unlike some others, I am not afraid to say what I think or fight for what I believe. I...

español

Zeitgeist

It was almost darkly coincidental. Our AP biology teacher assigned us to read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone during December and January of 2013-2014. If you haven't read it, The Hot Zone was an expository book that came out in 1994 and was one...

Pueden algun dia desaparecer los examenes?

Recientemente leí un artículo titulado “Puede algun dia desaparecer los exámenes?”Los exámenes son la pesadilla de muchos estudiantes. La idea central del artículo es que algún día desaparecen los exámenes. Mi reaccion al articulo fue bueno. Por...

Un dia mi Tia iba para Santo Domingo

Un dia mi Tia iba para Santo Domingo. Luego ella iba para la tienda a comprar una maleta. Entonces cuando ella fue alla estaba cerrada. Luego ella dijo donde yo voy a llevar esa ropa. Entonces mi abuela tenía una maleta pero era bien grande y...

¿Pueden algún día desaparecer los exámanes?

Recientemente leí un artículo titulado “Pueden algun desaparecer Exámenes”. La idea central del artículo es que pueden desaparecer los exámenes. Mi reacción al artículo fue enojo porque si esto pasa no podemos aprender. Una oración que me llamó...

Como agua para chocolate

Yo pienso que el libro que estoy leyendo es muy interesante porque habla del amor, habla de cocinar habla y de la familia. El cuento de “ Como Agua Para Chocolate” de Laura Esquivel, puede dejar a los lectores sintiendo amor, pasión, deseo ,...

From the Middle (6-8)

How Do You Become Good In Soccer?

Soccer is a sport that takes practice to be good. Especially if you want to become as good as Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo. They started playing when they were young and their practice gave them the skill that they have now. People...

Ebola Disease

Ebola is a deadly disease that originated in Africa back around 1970’s. There are different strains of Ebola and some are more deadly than other. Recently people have been visiting south africa and coming to America not knowing they had the disease...

Locked In School

One day a kid named amadou got locked up in the school the school New Directions he was not so scared because he knew what he was supposed to do, but suddenly he started hearing bouncing balls in the hallway. He thought that somebody was in the...

love

Mission: Readers Theater - Hercules

This mission is a multimedia response to the Comic Book called "Hercules". We are on a mission to research the story of Hercules and his Labors. The story becomes multimedia because after the research we respond to by filming and taking photos of...

Gaming and New Media

Juan's Animated Introduction

Here’s my animated introduction: My name is Juan Carlos Alejo. I am from Mexico. I am 15 years old. I was born on April 7, 19-99. My mom is Maria de Lourdes and my dad is Lucas Alejo. I have two siblings, an older sister named Norma and a...

Andreina's Animated Introduction

Steven's Animated Introduction

What new developments (social media) will be created?

New developments like the iPhone, Android, iPad and gaming systems are very popular in the lives of children nowadays. In general, social media is different than what it was in the past. People in the 20th and earlier centuries did not experience...

Michael's Animated Introduction

my name is Michael. I live in brooklyn new york. That's my family: my brother Brian and my mom Evelise. I study at cobble hill high school, and I work at a grocery store in Sunset Park. For me, Cobble Hill is different from other schools in...

Letters to Decision Makers

GraceJ

Hola, I’m Grace and I go to Okemos High School. I can speak fluent Korean, and I have an older brother. My favorite thing to do is eat (anything I can get my hands on). I like all subjects but I'm not very good at math. My hobbies include tennis,...

My Name

Sarah, it’s a pretty plain name, nothing super different from everyone else, but it’s origin is out of the ordinary. A couple decades ago, my dad heard a song, “Sara Smile”. He really loved the song as a kid and early on decided if he had a daughter...

The story of my name

Noah is a Jewish name and my name is famous because my name comes from Noah's Ark. If you don't know Noah's Ark, Noah's Ark is a story that my mother used to tell. They say that God told Noah that it was going to rain a hundred and fifty days, then...

Black Boy

The first page of black boy was about how two boys who wanted to see the fire second they light the curtains on fire and then little brother said that if he don't stop that he was going to tell on him if he don't stop third the curtains got out of...

Read About Me

I am Paula-Christine Campbell. What's important to me? Family ( sort of) , laughter, having a good time. Oh and bacon, you can never go wrong with bacon, unless you’re a vegetarian then I guess turkey Bacon is ok. Right? A turning point that has...

Our Space (K-5)

Hurricane Stories

Given what people in New York and New Jersey are going through with Hurricane Sandy, I thought Youth Voices readers might like to see some writing by third graders in response to Hurricane Gustav a few years ago. Hurricane Gustav arrived, Labor Day...
4

My Shell

Beautiful Like a glimmering lake in the sun it shines so very brightly. On the outside. On the inside, it feels smooth, silky. But it doesn't shine as brightly, it may be bright, on the outside, but on the inside, it seems faded.
3

Documentary

Ocean acidification is a rising problem on Earth. It is a term used to decribe the rising acidity in the oceans. 1/3 of the carbon dioxide we edmit from burning ficil fuels is absorbed by the oceans. This equals to 1 million tones...

A Fish

A fish Blue peach colored Happy and good to be free Black and green A sea creature Tobie
1

Jazz Man

Jazz man Loud, tall Famous, blond, handsome Man who plays jazz. Musician. By Matthew
1

Our Stories and Poems

Xiao's Name

What’s in a Name? Xiao Liu Part 1 The poem I am Xiao Liu Liu for my daddy Xiao for my mommy, for I am a knowing child to know everything But to my brother and sister and to my mommy and daddy I’m Michelle My grandpa and grandma I’m XiaoXiao But the...

Areej Name

I am Areej Waheed Muraad My dad gave me the name Areej He was very caring and loving that name means a pleasant smell, flower My middle name is Waheed Waheed was my dad’s name, and he gave it to me Muraad is my last name My grandfather gave it to...

Yariel Name

I am Yariel Ramon Lopez… Yariel great family from the Dominican Republic Ya for my mother Yaqueline R for my father’s middle second name Ramon I for my grandfather Inginio E for my second last name, Escolastico L for my first last name,...

What's in Name?

The poem I am Usama Waheed Muraad.. Usama is from the quran He was a prophet like Muhammad, Usama for some people is like Osama bin laden. But to me I’m king of the jungle and for my mom, I am a prince, And Usama for my father is a king. When I was...

What's in a Name?

I am Juan Carlos Alejo. Juan for my great-grandfather from Oaxaca. Who only lived to be 48. Carlos for my grandfather, for I am the last to carry his paternal name. And Alejo for my father since it is his surname. But to my mother Maria “Tell me,...

Video Conversations

ShuQi's name

Part 1: The Poem I am Shu Qi Ou … Shu Qi for my grandmother’s cousin from China, She lives next door to my grandmother, and I am the first to carry her name, but my last name is from my father. and to my family, simply Qi. My friends prefer the...

6 word memoir

my name in pictures

My biography

I'm 17 and I live in NY. I'm from Europe. I was born in a south east country called Albania. I just have a year in US. I honestly expected more from this country but it’s fine. I thought it's going to be better and beautiful but no it's worse. What...
1

My Journal

Here Junilka and I were video chatting over Google Hangouts and talking about the journals we wrote in the morning at the youth voices program.