Today's Featured Discussions

Argument

My Personal Inquiry

My Personal Inquiry I wonder about how culture can play a role in your friend group. So I ask, does culture determine the type of friends you have? I ask this because I feel like I of friends of similar culture and different culture.
0

The Study of Culture in English Class

Something that I have been interested in learning more about is why it's important to learn about culture. We have been learning a lot about different artifacts and their effect on culture and other cultures in general, but I don't think that it's...
0

Who is the prey?

Something I have been interested in learning more about has been sharks. I remember my dad talking about it sometimes whenever we were at the beach but I was never really interested in hearing about some huge creature that could possibly be swimming...
0
The city council of Oakland is discussing the idea of implementing the use of surveillance cameras on the streets of Oakland. The majority of people in Oakland believe this is a invasion of privacy and go against this idea. I consider myself one of...
0

Surveillance Camras

The city council here in Oakland is debating on whether they should install more surveillance cameras or not. Some people think that the cameras will help keep us safe but it won’t.I think it is invading people's privacy and second they cost money...
0

Arts and Entertainment

My own "Poem"

When life gets hard all I have to see is the blue sky and feel the wind blowing trough my hair. Youth coming out of me,feeling alive like and old tree turning green when is spring,Feel the warm of the sun on my skin,the wind refreshing my mind...
0

Nose to Palm

Nose to Palm My dream is to see my people en paz, No más hopping las fronteras, No más guerras, To never hear again the word race unless it's the sport, To accept everyone as they are no matter tall or short, To have equal justice in our courts, To...
0

Last blog for Poetry Collection

Well this is the last blog posting for my partner and I's recordings. I am very happy! The only thing my partner and I did not really like was that the computer we recorded on scattered the sound because we could not plug in a mic so the sound is...
0

Shakespeare final project blog 7

On Tuesday April 15 I took a trip to Wal-Mart and bought whey I was going to need for my mural project. I bought a set of canvas in case I would need up on my first try. Then I bought a set of of oil paint, work a set of brushes. Lastly I came back...
0
In this blog I'll talk about a willow tree and a river that runs beside it. This image would represent the place where Ophelia committed suicide or fell down the river in accident from the tree that she was on. In act 5 scene 7 lines 167-75 "there...
0

Booktalk

Confessions of a Sociopath Booktalk

“While I don't think sociopaths have any sort of moral urge to do good things, I think they can and do act morally in the context of pursuing their own advantage” (Thomas 36) “Ruining people. I love the way the phrase rolls around on my tongue and...
0

Death By Honeymoon

Cindy woke up suddenly. She had overslept, and slightly felt better than she had before she fell asleep. Cindy and Clint were huge surfers, and moving away from family and friends to have more opportunities to surf called their name. Earlier...
0

school v. fiction

Charlie n Fiction vs. School Teaching Why is science fiction not taught in school if its used a lot in books? I have been interested in learning why schools don’t focus on science fiction if theres so many science fiction books. This issue makes me...
0

school v. fiction

0

All Quiet on the Western Front Booktalk

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque depicts the horrors of war and how devastating it is on a soldier. Remarque explores how many people in war are innocent and that many soldiers do not deserve to die in war because they did not...
0

Connected Research

Black Hole Abstract

Black holes are extremely mysterious and complicated objects. They live in deep deep outer space and suck everything they can towards them. They have such immense masses that even light itself cannot escape its gravitational pull. There are many...
0

Prostitution Research Reflection

My group’s research topic is about prostitution. My group’s question is, “Should Oaklanders deal with prostitution in and out of the U.S and how does it affect civil rights, and if it doesn’t, is there a potential civil rights issue at stake?”...
0

Collage Essay About Sociopaths

A sociopath is someone who feels no shame, or guilt. These people are born with no conscience or lose their conscience due to environmental factors. Sociopaths feel no problem in manipulating others to indulge themselves in their desires. Sociopaths...
0

My Reflection on my Research Question

My group’s research question is how prevalent is sexual abuse in Oakland’s community and what should the police and the Oakland community do to help the victims? Is their a civil rights issue of our time? Our hypothesis is if Oakland community or...
0

The effect of music on culture

Music has a big effect on culture. It tells someone what their personality is and what they like to do in their free time. It also tells the popularity status is of a person. IF they are listening to popular music or not.
0

español

Locura Y Amor

Eduardo Galeano: Cuentan que una vez se reunieron en un lugar de la tierra todos los sentimientos y cualidades de los hombres. Cuando el Aburrimiento había bostezado por tercera vez, la Locura, como siempre tan ocurrente, les propuso: "¿ Vamos a...
0

la vida de los inmigrantes

Hola Mi nombre es Daniela Cruz, soy de Honduras pero vivo en Austin Tx. Soy una estudiante de Eastside Memorial. En mi clase de English yo y mis otros companeros estamos haciendo un projecto de los inmigrantes y estamos invistigando la vida de los...
0

la vida de los inmigrantes

0

la vida de los inmigrantes

0

la vida de los inmigrantes

0

From the Middle (6-8)

Dance Pantume

I dance I love it Two days a week Sometimes three or for days I love it To dance Sometimes three or for days I danced March 30th at the Santa Cruz Warriors half time To dance It is so fun I danced March 30th at the Santa Cruz Warriors half time...
0

The Assasination

The showing of “My American Cousin”, Fords Theater, April 1865, through the eyes of John Wilkes Booth. Leaving my horse in the alley I stepped inside the backdoor of the theater. Slowly I descended the stairway leading towards the the presidential...
0

The Hike

Taking a hike was a horrible idea my legs are sore and my feet are aching. “ Walking in nature can be fun”, Those were the last words I heard my father say oh how I wish he was here we both got lost and I can’t find anyone to help, if my dad was...
0

The Hike

0

A Place of Comfort

I start at school then leave campus Later I grab my bike And start heading home Across six streets Down two hills In one house Beneath one roof Above one floor Close to a T.V Is my bed One Of my places of comfort
0

Gaming and New Media

How Technology Has Changed Us

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been technology and how it affects us. I remember the news and newspapers talking about how technology is advancing us, which also means new forms of technology are being released...
1

Internet: Helpful or Harmful?

Something that I have been interested in learning more about has been whether or not that the Internet is really helping us or if it is harming us. I remember my friends, Cirus and Omeed, talking about it a few days ago, but it was only a small part...
1

Personal Inquiry Blog Post

Something that I have been interested in learning more about culture has been how much is technology part of a culture.. I remember a friend talking about it a few weeks ago, but I didn't think much of it at the time. Lately, the issue has caught my...
0

Bike photo montage

For my montage project I took a picture of a bike outside by the prayer garden on the bike rack. I am pretty pleased with how mine turned out, and I think the different lightings make it interesting. The only problem I encountered was getting the...
0

China Lifts Banned on Foreign Gaming Consoles

I chose to research video game bans, because I always wondered why some countries banned some games? I understand if they banned games that went against their country or religion but some countries banned innocent games like Football Manager 2005....
1

Letters to Decision Makers

Old Looks Are Avoidable

When looking at a newspaper I came across a nice pic of Cher. She looked very young for a woman of her age . She is not the only her people like Holly Robinson-Peete and Cindy Crawford. I was wondering what was the trick to them looking so young....
0

Dear Mayor De Blasio: Community Policing Might Reduce Crime

Dear Mayor De Blasio, My name is Dejon. I’m an African American/Jamaican male who attends school in the Bronx. I want to congratulate you on your election and share one main problem I think is very important: crime. Did you know in general NYC is...
0
Dear Mayor De Blasio, My name is Jayonna and I attend school at ESMT I.S. 190 in the Bronx. I want to congratulate you on winning the election. I have several concerns about education like the state test. Kids are stressed out and so are the...
0

Dear Mayor De Blasio: Let's make the Bronx Number One

Dear Mayor De Blasio, My name is Tafari and I am a student in the Bronx. I want to extend my congratulations to you on your election and share with you one of the issues I think is very important: crime. As you know for a big city, New York has a...
1

Dear Mayor De Blasio: My family needs jobs

Dear Mayor De Blasio, My name is Joshua and I am a student in the Bronx at a school called I.S. 190. I am a 8th grader. I wanted to say congratulations to you on your election. The city has issues around jobs and unemployment. The situation in my...
0

Our Space (K-5)

Intelligent Gary Soto

The main character is Gary soto From the book Living Up The Street. This character has a few traits that influence his relationship with others. One, he loves going on an adventure and the best things is that when he goes on enventhers he doesn't...
0

Hurricane Stories

Given what people in New York and New Jersey are going through with Hurricane Sandy, I thought Youth Voices readers might like to see some writing by third graders in response to Hurricane Gustav a few years ago. Hurricane Gustav arrived, Labor Day...
4

My Shell

Beautiful Like a glimmering lake in the sun it shines so very brightly. On the outside. On the inside, it feels smooth, silky. But it doesn't shine as brightly, it may be bright, on the outside, but on the inside, it seems faded.
3

Documentary

Ocean acidification is a rising problem on Earth. It is a term used to decribe the rising acidity in the oceans. 1/3 of the carbon dioxide we edmit from burning ficil fuels is absorbed by the oceans. This equals to 1 million tones...
0

A Fish

A fish Blue peach colored Happy and good to be free Black and green A sea creature Tobie
1

Our Stories and Poems

Last audio poem with my partner!!!
0

'I Love You' By Barbara Rivera

I wanted to say ‘I love you’ but the word hate sprinted out my mouth so quick i couldn't stop it and she turned and cried and made sure i didn't see but hearing the water drops fall to the ground that formed underneath her eye and the weep she let...
0

Poetry project post 2

I am now seven poems in to completing my project requirement on 10. I have stuck mostly to rhyming my poems which comes rather naturally given that I am a rapper. I wrote two poems from the point of view of Claudius, one from Hamlet, and one from...
0

How did you immigrate to the United States??

Hi ladies and gentlemen: My name is Muturutsa Moses, i come from Rwanda, but now i immigrant to the United States Austin,Texas. I have few questions to ask some of y'all who immigrated here in the United States or somewhere else!! First question...
2

What is it like to be an Immigrant in the U.S

Hello, My name is Arienne and I was born in Cenral Africa, but immigrated to Paris when I was young Now I am a student in Austin Texas at Eastside Memorial High School. My class is learning about immigration and doing a project. Please take your...
2

Video Conversations

Disaters

“Run! Run!” “Take her and leave come on let’s go!” I remember that day. It was in September, 2018, the war between Mexico vs. The United States of America is going on. My name is Yulima and I’m Mexican. It was two months ago when I lost my...
0

Talking about the Jordan Davis Murder Trial

John and I talked with Mr. Allison about Jordan Davis after we read this testimony from his mother before the U.S. Senate. http://bit.ly/1pt4f3N
0

Native Son performance

I have watched a performance that I have done after memorizing two paragraphs from the book Native Son. The performance was a 8 out of 10 if I must say, with reasons of simple things that could be improved. I am most proud that I went through with...
0

DIY Stablizer

I built a stabilizer for photography class at my school following along to a youtube video (link in the video). I only needed a couple 90 degree electric piping arms, three metal couplers, a macro slider, a bearing, a six inch PVC tube and a coupler...
0

DIY Video

In this video I made a light to help when doing a video interview. The light was quite simple to make and very effective, you only need five items to bring this to life. Not only was it simple to make, but also very cost effective.
0