Today's Featured Discussions

Argument

Abusive Relationships

In the world today, we continually hear about abusive relationships between parents and children. There are many parent child relationship themes in the Tempest that are shown in the real world today. Recently, a grandfather noticed his grandson had...
2

Unarmed man shot 17 times

Police brutality is becoming a big issue in our society. Recently there have been video recordings of police officers abusing their authority or using excessive force when arresting people. In Pasco, Washington a 35 year old Hispanic man was shot...

Killed For Blogging

Avijit Roy, a blogger on "Mukto Mono" was killed last Thursday for voicing his beliefs on his blog. Avijit is from the mainly Islamic region Bangladesh and in his blog writings he yearned for "reason and humanism guided by science" and openly...
As a new article from the New York Times explains, in Afghanistan, women trying to join the police force face the difficulties and dangers of moving against their culture in the larger struggle for gender equality (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/...
2

Should Malls Increase Security Due To Past Urge Attacks?

Should malls increase security? Eric Holder, a US Attorney General, suggests that malls should increase security. The reason is there’s has been many urging attacks in malls. These attacks are caused by terrorist. According to the CNN and Mary Kay...
2

Arts and Entertainment

Oscars

The Oscars have always been full of laughter, inspiration, and gratuity. This past Oscars was a little different than in previous years. Instead of the long speeches of mental lists of who to thank, the winners took the opportunity to talk about...

Adieu Jon

In our polarized nation, the nation has split along ideological lines. The middle has somehow disappeared. In the midst of this parting of the seas, a rivalry has emerged between two comedy central comedians, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, and...
1

Big Transition

Bruce Jenner, an Olympic gold medalist in the 1976 Montreal Games has recently come out with news that he will be transitioning from a male to female. His changing look in the past couple of months has been a large topic of discussion in the media....

PC vs PS4 vs Xbox One?

PC's or Consoles? What would you guys rather use for gaming? PC's or the Next Gen Consoles. Put your arguments below! I personally think PC's are the best gaming machine, as long as you have a good PC. For the price of a next-gen console as of...

Did Birdman deserve to Win best picture?

As many people know, the Academy Awards took place on Sunday night. Many people, including myself, stayed up past midnight awaiting the announcement for the best picture of 2014 and early 2015. It was evident that either Birdman or Boyhood was going...

Booktalk

Gone Girl

For my IRP, I chose yet another book by Gillian Flynn called Gone Girl which was recommended to me by my sister. The story starts off from the point of view of Nick Dunne who is married to a woman named Amy. The couple moved to a small house along...

the witch hunter

The Witch Hunter By: Nicole R. Taylor Book One Zac is at the bar when another vampire comes up to him and says he is looking for someone that Zac doesn't know about. this other vampire is so fixed on getting this other vampire that he fights Zac,...

The Raging Quiet

Sherry Jordan's The Raging Quiet clearly describes the values of earlier times while still keeping the readers interest. She takes the old ways and adds a spin to them by putting modern values in a simpler time. The main character, Marine, breaks...

White Cat

The book I would like to talk about is called White Cat, It was written by Holly Black. I had never heard of the book, it was just kind of a random choice for me. This book is about a boy name Cassel who goes to a private school and begins enduring...

My Sister's Keeper by: Jodi Picoult

This is a fairly controversial book. No matter who you are you will develop a strong opinion. The book centers around two sisters. One has a rare form of leukemia, the other was born to with the sole purpose of donating cord blood, bone marrow and...

Connected Research

Guns in Schools

A Colorado state representative, Patrick Neville, has proposed legislation that will allow any teacher or staff member that has a concealed weapons permit to carry that weapon in the public schools through the state. When Neville was 15 two students...

Now It's Even

Revenge is a prominent theme in the novel, The Tempest by William Shakespeare. Unfortunately, there are many current events that encompass this theme as well. On July 11, 2014 an act of brutal revenge was taken place in Northern India. A girl was...
1

Drones Fly Over France

In contemporary society we are dealing with an increasing number of insecurities. Since Edward Snowden told the world that the NSA was spying on American people and those in the country, it has made many people question their privacy. Over the...

Power Struggles Never Diminish

In todays society, power is one of our greatest achievements. We inherently create ladders in our worlds to categorize who stands above or below another person. In Mexico, the leader of a major drug cartel, Servando Gomez, was finally detained after...
2

An Issue That Needs to Be A(dress)ed

If you use any type of social media on the daily, then I can almost guarantee that you have seen a picture of "The Dress." This dress is a topic of discussion, because there is nationwide disagreement over what color people think the dress is when...

español

Mi nombre

Mi nombre es William. Vino. de mi papa. Mi nombre me recuerda de mi papa. Mi nombre expresa gusta.

Cuentos de misterio

Una vez que yo fui con mi prima al cementerio estaba muy oscuro y me daba mucho miedo. Cuando estábamos caminando había un muerto que estaba vivo sentado en la tumba mirando con su ojos muy oscuro. Mi prima le daba mucho miedo porque el muerto...
Lei un articulo titulado “la metida de pata de la policía de Nueva york twitter.’’ LA idea central del artículo es que la policía quería fotos sonriente con los ciudadanos y le subieron foto de gente esposada. Mi opinion del artículo es que No me...

Pueden algun Diaz desaparecer los examenes

Lei un articulo titulado “Pueden algun dias desaparecer los exámenes.’’ La idea central del artículo es que vas cambia los exámenes pesadilla de mucho estudiantes. Mi opinion del artículo es que si que para mucho estudiantes es una pesadilla...

Zeitgeist

It was almost darkly coincidental. Our AP biology teacher assigned us to read Richard Preston's The Hot Zone during December and January of 2013-2014. If you haven't read it, The Hot Zone was an expository book that came out in 1994 and was one...

From the Middle (6-8)

The Risks of using the Internet

There are many risks of using the internet. one such risk is cyberbullying or cyberstalking. this is a type of bullying where another person who you may not know tries to figure out who you are and where you live through the internet. this is also...
We can protect ourselves on the Internet by following many procedures and being cautious. One thing to do is to not click on suspicious links in your email. This will keep you from going onto fraudulent websites. Also, don’t sign into your account...

In What Ways Can the Internet Be used While Avoiding Risks

Did you know that you could be at risk using the Internet right now? The Internet is a very useful tool when used properly, but it can be dangerous. There are many types of dangers while using the Internet, like malware, identity theft, and cyber...
Most people use the Internet every day for either work or recreational reasons. However around 2 million people suffer of a cyber attack monthly whether it be Identity theft or an unresponsive computer. Malware verymuch plays a role in our daily...

In what ways can I use the Internet while avoiding it's risks?

Many people love to use the Internet just like me, but some do not know the risks or the traps they are heading into. To prevent such things from happening there are many precautionary steps you could use. As you know the main Internet Risks we have...

Gaming and New Media

On the web, it might look like a reliable piece of modern media and it is clean on the exterior. But in the inside, there are some or more hazards where ever you go, whether you are typing a book report or searching the online dictionary....
1

Internet is Innocent

Weblog In what way is the internet potentially dangerous? Our world in slowly progressing and becoming better and advance. But there is always some cons to something new. The internet, fairly new and a place where people post what they are...
1

Juan's Animated Introduction

Here’s my animated introduction: My name is Juan Carlos Alejo. I am from Mexico. I am 15 years old. I was born on April 7, 19-99. My mom is Maria de Lourdes and my dad is Lucas Alejo. I have two siblings, an older sister named Norma and a...
1

Andreina's Animated Introduction

Steven's Animated Introduction

Letters to Decision Makers

Dear Future English Teacher

Dear Future English Teacher: I am proud to be showing you some of my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program. It that shows my ability to “Freewriting Badge.” After you look at my work, I hope you will see why I think it's important to me...
Dear teacher who gives me a research project in the future: I am proud to show you my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program. It shows my ability to receive the “Annotating Badge.” After looking at my work, I hope you see my good annotating...

Commenting Helps with Understanding

Dear Future History Teacher, I am delighted to be showing you some of my work from the 2014 Youth Voices Summer program. It is the “Courageous Commentator” that shows my skills. After you look at my profile you see that I have commented on many...

Letter to new Superintendent Wilson

Dear Superintendent Wilson, I think some issues you should address as you begins your time in Oakland is to create more lights around the school because a lot of pedestrians have accidents for the reason of not having enough lights and there is a...

Letter to Oakland's New Superintendent

Dear, Mr. Antwan Wilson, My name is Cristina Alvarez, and I am a 12th grader at Fremont High School. I am writing this letter to you to let you know the issues that I am having at my school and what you can do that will help to improve Oakland...

Our Space (K-5)

Hurricane Stories

Given what people in New York and New Jersey are going through with Hurricane Sandy, I thought Youth Voices readers might like to see some writing by third graders in response to Hurricane Gustav a few years ago. Hurricane Gustav arrived, Labor Day...
4

My Shell

Beautiful Like a glimmering lake in the sun it shines so very brightly. On the outside. On the inside, it feels smooth, silky. But it doesn't shine as brightly, it may be bright, on the outside, but on the inside, it seems faded.
3

Documentary

Ocean acidification is a rising problem on Earth. It is a term used to decribe the rising acidity in the oceans. 1/3 of the carbon dioxide we edmit from burning ficil fuels is absorbed by the oceans. This equals to 1 million tones...

A Fish

A fish Blue peach colored Happy and good to be free Black and green A sea creature Tobie
1

Jazz Man

Jazz man Loud, tall Famous, blond, handsome Man who plays jazz. Musician. By Matthew
1

Our Stories and Poems

Shooting of Amadou Diallo

February 4, 1999 41 shots 19 piercing 1157 Wheeler Avenue He was shot down By four New York City Police Department Plain-clothed officers 41 shots 19 piercing The 23 year old immigrant Amadou Diallo From Sinoe County, Liberia To Togo, Bangkok,...

Emmett

What happened to the boy in Mississippi Who took a deadly trip south? Never to return home again. Fourteen years were taken too soon Fear in his eyes for all to see While murderers get away without a care His mother needed to see what remains A...

Forty-One Shots

Fired at the innocent February 4, 1999 Born in Sinoe Country, Liberia moved to New York City to pursue a career to study to start a business Murdered Outside his building, Began to show his wallet mistaken for a gun Forty-one shots hit nineteen...

Survivor

Medgar Evers survived Survived a Molotov cocktail Survived getting run down by a car Survived World War II But he could not survive Getting out of his car One bullet fired One great man killed The trigger man Not the only one to blame The hospital...

Love Sonnet

What is love but the burning flame of life Like a warm fire that beckons you near It still crackles during the coldest nights It isn’t something you can see or hear Love is a flower, so sweet and divine You must water your love for it to bloom The...

Teachers Teaching Teachers

Youth Voices LIVE! How do we disagree?

I want to invite teachers to help organize and support students who are using Youth Voices to get together a couple of times each month around a Big Question. This month's is: How do we disagree? Students should plan to join a Hangout On Line in two...
2
I think students from Chris Sloan's classes went to see "The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution" today. I wonder if they might be interested to watch and comment on this interview from Democracy Now! http://nowcomment.com/documents/31208/

Kickstarting Youth Voices LIVE!

Hi YV Teachers, I am wondering if anyone would like to connect students to discuss TED talk or other nonfiction about culture may be an interesting conversational piece. Maybe something like this: https://www.ted.com/talks/...
Last week, on Teachers Teaching Teachers, a group talked about issues for those who are new to Youth Voices. A question came up about getting administrator support for students participating in open networks like Youth Voices. Here is a link to that...

Practice makes .... more practice!

This evening, I am practicing with some research tools that I will be using with my OHigh students over the next few weeks. Since we'll be reading a book that looks at the ways different cultures try to understand each other -- and often...

Video Conversations

My Journal

Here Junilka and I were video chatting over Google Hangouts and talking about the journals we wrote in the morning at the youth voices program.

Journal

My conversation with Jennifer. We talked about what we put in our journals this morning and a little something extra.

I'm going to make more BO2 videos

Subscribe.
2

Talking about the Jordan Davis Murder Trial

John and I talked with Mr. Allison about Jordan Davis after we read this testimony from his mother before the U.S. Senate. http://bit.ly/1pt4f3N

DIY Stablizer

I built a stabilizer for photography class at my school following along to a youtube video (link in the video). I only needed a couple 90 degree electric piping arms, three metal couplers, a macro slider, a bearing, a six inch PVC tube and a coupler...