Health Narratives

Write a narrative about your family's healthcare practices. Interview family members and tell stories to create a narrative showing the influences of your culture and beliefs on your family's health. How does your family stay healthy? How do they define illness? What would your family define as a MINOR medical problem? Give examples. Who is the first person you turn to when you are ill? Finally, compare your story with the stories in The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (1997).

Questions to think about and to talk to your family about:

1. What would your family define as a MINOR medical problem? Give examples.
2. How does your family know when a health problem does NOT need medical attention?
3. Does your family "self-diagnose?" Give examples.
4. Does your family use over-the-counter medications? Which ones and when?
5. Who is the first person you turn to when you are ill?
6. Due to religion or ethnic background, does your family practice alternative ways to manage your health?

How to annotate the texts embedded below:

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.