This Side of Home, by Renée Watson, "Summer" Chapters 1-16

Jul 18, 2015

Read and annotate "Summer," the first section of This Side of Home by Renée Watson. Read the book aloud along with another student or an adult. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of This Side of Home by commenting on another student's discussion post about the "Summer" section, Chapters 1-16. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on gentrification, and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Also See: Fall | Winter | Spring | Summer 2

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate the first 16 Chapters of This Side of Home

Read along with another student or an adult. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of This Side of Home in the blue frame below.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading This Side of Home

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 1-16 Aloud

Let's read an important section of This Side of Home - "Summer" Chapters 1-16 aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions.

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Chapter 1: More than the season is changing, according to the narrator, Maya. What else is changing in her neighborhood? What does Maya want the media to see in her neighborhood and school? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to begin talking about these themes in This Side of Home.

2. Chapters 2-5: Essence, a senior in high school, faces a lot of changes in her life. How do you think these changes will affect her relationships with friends and her mother and family? What impact do you think these changes migh have on her future? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

3. Chapters ... : Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about the stranger's role in chapters 3 and 4.

4. Chapters ... : Use either: Tracking the Plot / Guía de comentario literario: El seguimiento de la trama or Plot Analysis to write about May's response in these chapters.

5. In Chapter ? ... Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to relate to what Miles is experiencing.

6. Chapters ... : Use either Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to talk about the effect of spring on the Tuck family.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "This Side of Home - Chapters 1-16" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six:Write more comments, this time adding quotations from your research on race and housing in the US and in your city or neighborhood

Annotate Chapters 1 and 2 of Ta-Nehisi Coates's "The Case for Reparations" and the resources in another one of the the blue NowComment frames below. After Chapters 1 and 2 of Coates article, choose articles about neighborhoods near your school or home. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "This Side of Home Chapters 1-16."

While reading these materials collected by your teachers and other students from various sources, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is or in NowComment about what you are learning about gentrification, race, class and housing patterns. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Copy and revise these notes to add new comments on other students' "This side of Home - Chapters 1-16" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.

The Case for Reparations

Annotate Chapters 1 and 2 of this article on hypothes.is.

Southside Williamsburg, Brooklyn