Create an avatar, personal icon, or personal logo

Aug 5, 2015
Antonio Wingfield's Icon

Represent yourself online by making an avatar, personal icon, or personal logo. There are many services, discussion sites, and social networking sites where you can upload your avatar. You make different versions of your visual self-representation for different places online, each to capture the essence of you in a different way. Also you'll be getting more familiar with creating with Pixlr.

Questions we are asking you to consider in this mission:

• What is special to you and about you?
  • What is important to you?
  • How can these things come together as a visual representation of you?
  • How will creating and using a visual representation of yourself help someone online relate to your life and get to know you?

Use Pixlr to complete each of the six step in this mission.

Getting started with Pixlr

• X-out of the intro screen. 
  • Log in, and click Sign in with Google. 
  • Refresh this page, and you should see your name in the upper-right. (You might have to X-out the intro screen.)
  • Create a New Image (from the intro screen or under File).
  • Give it a title. Change the width to 160 pixels and the height to 200 pixels (for this mission). And click the Transparent box.
  • When you are done, go to File and Save... your work as a JPEG (Good for most photos).

Step 1 of 6: Read and annotate logos

| CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.6.2 | 10 minutes |

Step 1a:How do companies hide messages in their logos? Annotate these logos by describing when your were able to see the hidden messages.

Step 1b: How do professionals use personal logos to represent themselves? Annotate these personal logos by saying which ones might work for you and why or why not.

Step 2 of 6: Make your own personal logo.

Like this one: Width=160 Height=200

Make a personal logo with your name or initials, following Jacob Share's advice in, "A Visual Guide: Personal Logo Design Tips For Non-Designers" (above).

1. Is there some object or symbol associated with something that you love to do that can be drawn with the letters in your name?
  2. If there is an object or symbol related to something that you spend a lot of time doing (playing games, basketball, listening to music...) how can you fit it into your name or initials?
  3. Is one of your names a word or part of a word?
  4. Can the letters in your first name overlap easily? (Avoid using your last name.)
  5. What about when written in cursive?
  6. If not, try overlapping them anyway.
  7. Or flip one letter backward and connect the letters or align their “backs”.
  8. Do your initials look similar when mirrored or placed at different angles?
  9. Can one initial fit inside the other?
  10. When all else fails, just put your name in a cool font.

Step 3 of 6: Take a line for a walk.

Make free-drawings in Pixlr, getting used to the tools, follow Paul Klee's directions:

Step 4 of 6: Gather your thoughts by freedrawing, then drawing again in Pixlr.

4a. On a piece of paper, write, map or draw what is essential about you. In the center of a piece of paper, draw a large outline of your favorite shape. Around the outside of the shape, write or draw the answers to these questions:

• What is your favorite color?
  • What is your favorite animal?
  • What is your strongest positive emotion?
  • What is your strongest negative emotion?
  • What is your favorite food?
  • What is your favorite place?
  • What is your favorite hobby?
  • What is your goal in life?
  • What is your favorite time of day?
  • What is your favorite thing to do?
  • What is the quality that you value the most in yourself?

4b. Now re-draw your image using Pixlr.
Be sure to save your image as a JPEG.

Step 5 of 6: Add your image to your profile on Youth Voices.

• Log in to Youth Voices.
  • Click the "Member Home" button at the top.
  • Go to "My profile," then click "Edit."
  • Choose file, and upload your JPEG to your account.
  • Be sure to hit the Save button.

Step 6 of 6: Use Hypothes.is to comment on three other students' bios and icons.

What if: 

Alternative: Create your icon with Google Drawing

1. Go to Google Drive at drive.google.com.
  2. Click New in the top left, hover over More, and choose Google Drawings.
  3. A drawing will automatically be created 
  4. Change the background so that it is a rectangle that is longer than it is wide. Make it 24 boxes wide x 32 boxes high
  5. Use the menu options and the buttons in the toolbar to create your icon (more help).
  6. When you are done, go to File and Download your icon as a JPEG image (.jpeg).