Journal Prompts

Begin to explore your past and future by writing every day in your journal, choosing one of the prompts listed in this mission. Write about questions like these: What have been some of the positive influences in your life thus far? What have been some of the negative influences you’ve had? How did you overcome these challenges? What support and resources do you need to achieve your goals?

In this Mission

• How and Why: Creating a Google Doc Journal that is linked on your Youth Voices profile

• First Choice: Body Life Chart

How and Why: Creating a Google Doc Journal that is linked on your Youth Voices profile

Set up a Journal on a Google Docs page.

1. Create a Document in Google Drive.
    2. Title it Journal.
    3. Using the Insert tab on the toolbar, insert a Table of Contents into the top of your page.
      • You will be adding to this document frequently. You should title each entry, and make the style for each title Heading 3.
      • Notice how you need to refresh your Table of Contents from time to time.
    4. Your most recent entry should be at the top of this document. Entries should go from newest at the top to oldest at the bottom.
    5. Your first entry on this document should be titled 10 Self/10 World Questions. (Use Heading 3 for this and every other title on this document.)

Link Your Journal from your Youth Voices Profile:

1. On the upper right of the screen, click the blue Share button, and add your teacher's email address in the box under Add people. Use the default Can edit.
    2. Click Change... under Who has access and choose the top option: Public on the web.Then, close the pop-up box.
    3. Under File go to Publish to the Web... and click the button, Start publishing. Leave this pop-up box open for now.
    4. To make a link to this document in your Bio, go to your Youth Voices Profile and choose to Edit, then click the Bio button.
    5. Scroll down and find the box with the label "My Journal." Copy the following into that box:<h2><a href="PASTE LINK FROM PUBLIC GOOGLE DOC HERE">My Journal</a><h2/>
    6. Then, copy the link titled "Document Link" that popped up when you completed step 6, and paste it into the space BETWEEN the quotation marks. Save the bio.

Set up a Video Journal and embed it on your Youth Voices Profile

1. If you haven't done it yet, log in to your gmail account; go to YouTube; create a channel with your username; make a playlist called Journal.
    2. Even if you've already uploaded videos to your channel and put them into your playlist, do another one now. Talk about the different elements of your icon and how they respresent something important about you.
    3. Go to your Youtube account, and click on the Upload button at the top.
    4. Click on the icon on the lower, right-hand side of the screen to Record from webcam. This should bring your webcam and microphone on and you can start recording. (You may need to get help from a teacher or a peer who knows how to turn permissions on at this point.)
    5. Once you've recorded and uploaded your video, go to the video manager (which is under your icon and username).
    6. The Uploads tab should appear. Click in the box next to your new video, and go to Add to. Put this video into your Journal Playlist. (If you haven't set up a playlist for Journal, do that now, and add this video into that playlist.)
    7. Next, click on the Playlist tab, then click edit. (This is only necessary to do after you have more than one video in the playlist.)
    8. If your new video is at the bottom of the list, click the box next to that video, then click Actions and Move to the top. Your most recent videos should be at the top of your playlist and the oldest ones at the bottom.
    9. Don't forget to Save your playlist before leaving this page.
    10. Now let's get the Embed code for the entire playlist (not just one of the videos). On your Journal playlist, click the Share button at the top, to Share or embed this playlist.
    11. Click the Embed button, and choose the 640 x 360 size.
    12. Copy the code that should be highlighted (Ctrl-C.)
    13. Go to your Profile on Youth Voices and click Edit, then click on the Bio button. (Log in -> Member Home -> My profile -> Edit -> Bio -> My Journal box)
    14. Paste your embed code in the My Journal box.
    15. Remember to hit Save at the bottom and View at the top.
    16. Okay, so now when you record a video journal, you just have to make sure it gets to the top of your Journal playlist on YouTube so that others can see it on your Youth Voices Profile. Have fun!

Why do a daily journal (or Detox)?

View more PowerPoint from monika hardy

First Choice: Body Life Chart

1. Identify all of the parts of the body pictured in the 1st column of the Body Life Chart.
    2. Get definitions for any of the unknown words in the 2nd and 3rd column.
    3. Use a prompt from the middle and right columns to freewrite a response that is personal, specific, and unique to you. Add your writing to your Google Doc Journal page.

Body

Past Experiences

Future Vision

What you’ve seen in life that has shaped who you are.

What you want to see in the future, visions you have for your community.

What you heard in life that has influenced you (music, speech, quotes)

What do you want the next generation to hear that will positively influence them?

People, teachers, ideas that have had a big impact on you.

How would you like to make an impact on people?

Important people, relationships, things that you love who make you who you are.

What type of love will you need to flourish in your future?

What have you created or built?

What do you want to create or build?

What are your sources of inspiration, support, strength, and power?

How will you continue to grow and build on who you are?

Where our bodies store the toxic stuff. What are some unhealthy things you have struggled with in your life?

What challenges are in the way of you reaching your dreams?

Real and symbolic places your feet have taken you that shape who you are.

Places you’re trying to get to in life.