Native American Mascots: Pride or Prejudice
Step One: Annotate the article, "Native American Mascots: Pride or Prejudice"
In NowComment you will find a two-part box:
1. In the first box, "Summary of Comment" paraphrase (put into your own words) what Moni Basu, is saying in that paragraph.
2. The second box, "Full Comment" is NOT optional for this mission. In that box elaborate for two or three sentences about the significance of Basu's words in that paragraph.
Step Two: Post a Basic Response to "Native American Mascots"
Basu, M. (2013). Native American mascots: Pride or prejudice?. [online] Inamerica.blogs.cnn.com. Available at: http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/04/native-american-mascots-pride-or-prejudice/ [Accessed 22 Sep. 2014].
Use this guide to write a formal response to this CNN essay. Compose in a Google Doc, then post your response on Youth Voices.
This guide will ask you to quote at least two times from this essay, and to explain why those two quotes represent the author's views and your thoughts about those views. What makes these parts of the text stand out for you?
You'll also be asked to explain at least two things you agree or disagree with in the text and to give your reasons. And you'll be asked to say what you appreciate most about this writer's work.
Step Three: Use the Agree/Disagree Guide to write a 5-paragraph comment to another student who has read Basu's CNN article.
1. Speak directly to the student or teacher whose post you are responding to.
2. Quote from the post or describe specific details (of an image or video).
3. Relate the work to your own experiences or to another text, image, video, or audio that this one reminds you of.
4. Be encouraging and generous with your remarks. End on a positive note.