Michael Brown Shooting and the Ferguson Protests

Start with your own questions, then deepen your inquiry into Michael Brown's shooting, and the protests and confrontations in Ferguson by choosing from these 25 articles, songs, interviews, photographs, blog posts, podcasts, reviews, videos, and academic reports.

We study Michael Brown's shooting and the protests and confrontations in Ferguson because we want to stop the next shooting of an African-American youth. Trust and hope are essential building blocks in learning, and these have been been eroded in Ferguson in August 2014. Perhaps Ferguson just ripped open the wounds that come with each new name on the list: Eric Garner, John Crawford, Renisha McBride, Jordan Davis, Trayvon Martin, Sean Bell, Oscar Grant... We need to work to heal these wounds, to re-build trust and hope with our, and to prevent the next one from happening.

Follow the steps outlined in the pop-up assignments at the beginning of each resource in this Gooru Collection:

Step One - Gooru Resources 1 - 3

Resource 1 - Race, Police, Michael Brown, and Ferguson
Answer the questions on this form. It has the same questions that were asked in the New York Times/CBS News survey in the next resource. Complete this form, then compare your answers with the published results from the Times/CBS survey. You can see results from this form here.

Resource 2 - Reactions to the Shooting in Ferguson, Mo
First, answer the questions on the form in the resource before this one. The form has the same questions that were asked in this New York Times/CBS News survey. Read and annotate the NYTimes analysis (see Resource #3), then post your own analysis on Youth Voices.

Resource 3 - Poll Shows Broad Divisions Amid Missouri Turmoil
Read and annotate something from each paragraph of this New York Times article about their poll (Resource #2). Paraphrase each paragraph in NowComment's "Summary of Comment" box, then freewrite anything that this is making you think in the "Full Comment" box (which is not optional). After reading and annotating, post a discussion on Youth Voices, using the guide, Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article.

What to Turn In for Step One

1) Five links to NowComment annotations for the New York Times article.
2) Google DOC draft of a "Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article"
3) Link to a discussion post on Youth Voices that analyzes the NYTimes article.

Step Two - Gooru Resource 6

Resource 6 - A Song Born When Pain Is Still Fresh
Read and annotate something from each paragraph of this NYTimes review. Paraphrase each paragraph in NowComment's "Summary of Comment" box, then freewrite anything that this is making you think in the "Full Comment" box (which is not optional). Add annotations on a Genius version of J. Cole's lyrics for "Be Free." Use this class edition.

What to Turn In for Step Two

1) Five links to NowComment annotations for the New York Times review.
2) Five or more links to to written or video annotations on the Genius class edition of "Be Free."

Step Three - Gooru Resource 19

Resource 19 - 'Am I Next?': Ferguson's Protests Through the Eyes of a Teenager
Watch this video showing a teen's response to Michael Brown's shooting, and annotate every minute or so in Vialogues. After annotating, post a discussion on Youth Voices about this video, using the guide, Comment on a Work of Art or Photograph, and with descriptions of what happens at different points in the video.

What to Turn In for Step Three

1) A link to your annotations on Vialogues.com.
2) Google DOC draft of a "Comment on a Work of Art or Photograph"
3) Link to a discussion post on Youth Voices that analyzes the Time video.

All Missions: Grouped by Channel

Looking for ideas? We invite all students and their teachers to use these projects to create discussions at any time. Choose a title in the list below to find detailed instructions and examples.

Are you a power user of Youth Voices? Check out Youth Voices Challenges and Tasks (aligned with Common Core Learning Standards), (Revised September 2012), and Play Youth Voices.

Check out the articles (PDFs) students and teachers have collected for each other in this Youth Voices Personal Crocodoc folder. Add folders with new topics and add PDFs of articles that you think others might find helpful int their research. How to video for using and adding PDFs in the Youth Voices Crocodoc Folder.

Gooru Collections: Find resources to support students' inquiries.

Members of Youth Voices can Create a Mission, Add a Page, and Add a Wiki.

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________