Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Arts and Entertainment

Youth Voices is in need of one original image done by a student to use as the icon for this site. It can be one of your photographs, a piece of your art, or any original creation of yours.  Upload your image by August 31, 2012 and enter to win.

Arts and Entertainment

Antonio Wingfield's Icon

Represent yourself online by making an avatar, personal icon, or personal logo. There are many services, discussion sites, and social networking sites where you can upload your avatar. You make different versions of your visual self-representation for different places online, each to capture the essence of you in a different way. Also you'll be getting more familiar with creating with Pixlr.

Arts and Entertainment

Day 242: Questions For Heaven, by amanky on flickr (Creative Commons)

One of the most important things you can do as a photographer is to document your interests. If you care about what you photograph, you'll do better work. This exercise will help you think more about what interests you and what you're curious about. After that, you'll photograph some of your interests.

Arts and Entertainment

Who am I? a Creative Commons image by Lorianne DiSabato on flickr

Add four Creative Commons images to a Google Presentation to represent yourself with image and text.

Arts and Entertainment

Produce and be the subject of a video portrait of yourself as a photographer, like what Mark Godfrey does. Look over your photostream and locate the photos that you're proud of. There are many kinds of special topics that you might talk about when you describe your work as a photographer.

Arts and Entertainment

fire storm by By Reid Bell a Youth Voices pool photographer on flickr

Youth Voices photographers share the secrets of their craft. Their videos showcase their excellent work, which might inspire you to find your eye and follow your passions as a photographer (or something else). Check it out!

Arts and Entertainment

Read, annotate, and write about Steven Spielberg's movie, "Lincoln." Let us know what you think about the movie and the reviews.

Arts and Entertainment

Create a wiki page about a significant photographer from the past.

Arts and Entertainment

Whether it's a holiday, somebody's birthday, or a special occasion, homemade gifts are sometimes the best. Here are some Do-It-Yourself projects using your own photos to make gifts for people.

Andy Warhol inspired Hangers by Niko

Photo Star by Vicky

Photo Garland by Allyson

Jewelry Box by Andy

Picture Frame by Milly

Photo Collage Letter Blocks by mschmiett | k_larson | Cholyoak | Michaela

Arts and Entertainment

How can we capture an element of our identity in just six words?

Legend has it that when Ernest Hemingway was challenged to write a six-word novel, he came up with, “For Sale: baby shoes, never worn.” Inspired by Hemingway’s short story, SMITH magazine launched online in 2006. They challenged readers and famous writers alike to submit their own six-word memoirs for a contest. People of all ages sent in short life stories in droves, and the results were poignant, hilarious, devastating and good lessons to all. (Smith Magazine) A Six-Word Memoir is the story of your life—some part of it or all of it—told in exactly six words.

(versión española)

Arts and Entertainment

We are turning script writing into calligraphy.

Arts and Entertainment

Shortly after the release of "Selma," director, Ava DuVernay tweeted, "Bottom line is folks should interrogate history. Don't take my word for it or LBJ rep's word for it. Let it come alive for yourself. #Selma"

That's what this mission is all about. Dive in, learn what the issues are around the movie "Selma," and make your own connections to history and current events.

Arts and Entertainment

Annotate these two songs on Genius with your words, images, and videos. In a discussion post, explain the themes in Lupe Fiasco's song and in Tupac's. What are the ways the poems are similar? What are a couple of ways they are different? Get involved in conversations about these two poems by adding comments and replies to other students' discussions.

Arts and Entertainment

Reading and writing about art is a great way to