Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Connected Research

Image for a mission on Youth Voices

Create sustained pieces of writing by freewriting, writing focused sentences, and more freewriting in and out of school.

Connected Research

Use the "Loop Writing Process" to focus in on where you are going with an inquiry and to give you new ideas about your question.

Connected Research

Use "Composing Guidelines" to ask whether your writing is really getting at what you want to say. And to ask, "What's missing?"

Connected Research

This mission is designed to help you write another discussion post about your inquiry topic. This might be your fourth or fifth post on your question, and this won’t be the last time you write about your question. However, if you’ve been keeping up with your annotations and your dialectical notes (see Guides) as you do your research, then it’s quite likely that the post you write for this mission will elicit helpful comments from other students on Youth Voices.

Connected Research

This interactive infographic from Number Sleuth accurately illustrates the scale of over 100 items within the observable universe ranging from galaxies to insects, nebulae and stars to molecules and atoms. Numerous hot points along the zoom slider allow for direct access to planets, animals, the hydrogen atom and more. As you scroll, a handy dial spins to show you your present magnification level.

Connected Research

Five crescents - Wikipedia

Write a thoroughly researched post based on your inquiry question. Your post must have FIVE reliable sources and provide a "Works Cited" listing all of them. Your discussion post should draw on relevant information from five reliable sources. Sources should be cited in the proper MLA or APA format at the bottom of the post. Use the Five Reliable Sources guide.

Connected Research

Annotate a Wikipedia article. Post a discussion about this article, quoting from 3 sources that support or question the article.

Connected Research

Annotate every paragraph or so of recent newspaper articles with questions and opinions using hypothes.is or NowComment.

Connected Research

Blogs help you reach beyond the mainstream media to a wider and deeper perspective on a broad range of less common topics. Sure, there are questions about credibility (Anybody can create a blog.) and reliability (How do we know anything is true in a blog?), but blogs can be a great way to start collecting together different perspectives on almost any issue or question that you might want to learn more about. Bloggers often point to other more reliable and credible sources that you can use as you continue your research.

Connected Research

Have fun struggling with the fascinating studies, reports, and articles that you find in the References, External Links and Further Reading sections at the bottom of Wikipedia pages. No matter what teachers and others think about the accuracy and reliability of Wikipedia, most agree that it's a good launching pad for finding more solid sources for your research.

Connected Research

PDFs are often a great source for finding reliable, complex, interesting articles about your topic. And it's as easy as adding a couple of filters in Google's Advanced Search. Once you find two or three articles, annotate them using hypothes.is or by putting them up in NowComment. Also learn vocabulary by adding words to Quizlet flashcards, and by making Dialectical Notes.

Connected Research

Use databases such as JSTOR, EBSCOhost, or GALE to gain access to full-text journal articles, government reports, and academic studies in organized collections. Although the differences between what you can find on the surface web and in the deep web sometimes seem to be exaggerated and are changing, it's still true that the content of databases has undergone a review process and the information is often more reliable than some of the information found on the Internet.

Connected Research

Make a short slide show with Creative Commons images that express different perspectives on your topic. Embed this in an essay.

Connected Research

Many of us use YouTube for entertainment, but browse over to YouTube.com/education to see how many fascinating videos you can find to spark your research project. Use EDU-YouTube to find 2 or 3 videos from such inspiring sources as TEDx Talks, Stamford University, and PBS NewsHour, and more!

Connected Research

Podcasts are rich sources of information for most any research project. Search on iTunes to see what you can find, then look on NPR to find couple of podcasts there as well. Listen carefully, take dialectical notes, then add your brief transcriptions, citations, and responses from these podcasts to your discussion post.

Connected Research

Write a Collage Essay, which Peter Elbow describes like this: "A written collage consists of separate, disconnected bits of writing rather than one continuous, connected piece. Often there are spaces or asterisks or decorative dingbats between the separate bits. That may not sound like good writing, but finished collages are often remarkably satisfying and effective as writing."

Connected Research

Do some "pre-research" reading, then post a discussion that explains why people should care... Add 5+ keywords and a CC image.

Connected Research

Determine your relationship to the world we live in. What do you know about each continent? How does it differ from where you live?

Connected Research

List questions. Choose one. Say why. Read something. Add quote. Cite. Find image. Post. Comment. This can be done in a 90-minute period.

Connected Research

Esta actividad es muy útil si no puedes pensar en qué escribir, o si tienes bloqueo mental de escritor.

Connected Research

Learning this technique will help you develop a deep, precise understanding of what you read. It will also prepare you to write a meaningful response to literature.

Connected Research

Create a Youth Voices discussion where you talk about the events of 2014 that impacted you most. Here are some places to look. Remember to provide a link to a source (not one of the ones below though). Also, make a helpful comment on another student's discussion.

Connected Research

Reflect (flip), rotate (turn), and translate (slide) your way through 18 levels of shape shifting geometry fun! Can you make it all the way to the end? Keep track of your progress by capturing images of your setup before you hit the transform button. Write a caption that explains how you were sure that the blocks you chose and the units were correct.

Connected Research

Keep track of what you do as you research so that we can see and learn from each other about the weird and wonderful paths research can take!

Connected Research

Take a walking tour of your neighborhood.

Connected Research

What issues of social injustice in society must be investigated? What can we learn about that issue, and what can we do raise awareness and seek justice on that issue? Share your learning through process blogs and use it to seek justice in your community.

Connected Research

Read, pose questions, write about the first part of Omnivore’s Dilemma and photos from Hungry Planet. Make SuperTracker profile.

Connected Research

Choose an article an annotate it using hypothes.is.

Connected Research

CC License: Attribution Share Alike by Keith Rowley, yugenro on flickr

Select an issue you care about. Select appropriate media. Draft and create your media content. Post and comment on Youth Voices.