Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Argument

The purpose of Photo 180 is to take pictures of a complete school year showing all 180 days and the 180 degree change that a single school year can make in our lives. We invite you to shoot one picture every day, expressing what was happening for you as a learner that day whether in school or outside of school. What's important to you?

Argument

As you follow the news about Occupy Wall Street on facebook, twitter, and other Internet sources, we want to encourage you to add your voice by posting discussions about the protests that are being organized in your own community and across the world.

Argument

Image courtesy of Jessi Bautista (see article)

Add your comments to these articles. Log in to your Google account so that we can know who is commenting!

Argument

Are you tired of writing boring old research papers that are just full of data? Learn how to synthesize sources to both appeal to an audience and deliver factual information by creating a news article. You might also write a news article as a response to literature.

Argument

Comment on a couple of article about the KONY 2012 vidoe. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Argument

Comment on a couple of articles, podcasts, and videos about The Shooting of Trayvon Martin. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Argument

Let's investigate what's in our personal care products. How dangerous is a beauty salon?

Argument

Write a "dialogue of authors" in which the writers of the four articles listed below give their answers for the following questions, with supporting evidence for the claims that are made:

How should Obama and Romney respond to Occupy Wall Street? In his campaign for President, should each of the candidates support, denounce, or remain silent about the Occupy Wall Street movement?

Argument

Let's read, view, listen and annotate together.

Argument

Technology By Ayers Photo Christopher Ayers, a Youth Voices pool photographer.

Wow! 2,750 texts a month! And that's just the average. Our guess is, many of us exceed that number quite often. Read the attached articles. Tell us what you think.

Argument

Read, annotate and write responses to articles about violent crime.

Argument

Read and annotate articles and watch videos and take notes on the Young Lords. At a crossroads in US history, the Young Lords fought for human rights of Puerto Ricans and other oppressed people. Known for bold actions and dramatic protests, they brought attention to the dire conditions that people were living in the 1960s and 70s paving the way for progressive changes.

Argument

Learning the facts and trying to understand. Read, annotate, and write about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings Let us know what you think about what happened in Newton, Connecticut

Argument

Read and annotate articles and watch videos and listen to podcasts about Economics. It's important to have your own questions and lines of inquiry as you read, take notes, and add quotes on and from these sources. All of this should lead to your writing about your question, issue or topic within the fields of micro- and macro-Economics.

Argument

Read and write about Stop-and-Frisk, a policy used by the police in NYC and other cities to reduce crime. But some say that the police unfairly target Black and Hispanic young men, who have made up 85 percent of those stopped. Is this practice fair and effective? Does it reduce crime? Does Stop-and-Frisk violate the fourth amendment protections: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures...?

Argument

Find an opinion piece from an online newspaper, (Austin American Statesman, Austin Chronicle, USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post, etc.) about a topic that interests you. Read it through a couple of times – how does the author try to persuade the audience of his/her argument? How does the author use ethos, pathos or logos? Write about it on Youth Voices.

Argument

Read, annotate, and write about Malcolm X. Let us know what you think about his life, philosophy, and politics.

Argument

Poverty and the gap between the richest New Yorkers and the poorest New Yorkers is a problem that politicians, activists, business people, and all New Yorkers must deal with. What are some of the causes of income inequality? How can we break the patterns of poverty that hold too many New Yorkers back?

Argument

Most agree that we could be doing a better job of educating the youth of New York City. Classrooms need to enlivened, updated, and students need to be empowered. The drop-out rate is too high. Shifting to higher standards is something we are all working on. Large schools are being closed and smaller schools have replaced them. Teachers and students are under pressure to increase success on standardized tests. What are the real problems facing our schools in New York City? What are some of the solutions that we know work? What gets in the way of changing schools in New York City? What changes would you like to see?

Argument

Gun violence is an issue we must face in New York City. All of us have to combat gun violence. Ending gun violence is a political, health, educational, religious, ethical, and justice issue. What laws might we pass that would increase the peace? How do we interrupt the cycles of violence that we find in many of our neighborhoods in NYC? What do you think has to change?

Argument

Obesity, diabetes, and asthma are three of the more obvious consequences of poor eating habits that stem from food insecurity, lack of grocery stores, and bad eating habits. What can we do in NYC to foster access to healtier food and lifestyles? How can we bring more health and food security into the lives of our youths?

Argument

Through building nest boxes and placing them in a park, students will learn basic woodworking skills, and they will learn about the importance of studying the migratory patterns of birds like Tree Swallows. Students will be introduced to basic concepts of scientific observation, biology, evolution, ornithology, and environment sciences.

Argument

It's time to become a food detective." Michael Pollan's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" guides us through the mystery of where our food comes from. You will never look at the food you eat the same way again!!

Argument

Comment on the posts listed as "Related Posts" on the left side of the mission. Read and annotate texts, videos, and podcasts about water, then add quotations from these resources to your Dialectical Notes about water. Post a discussion about one text, video, or podcast on Youth Voices, OR one that follows the questions in the mission: "Why People Should Care about My Research Project. Once you've completed Dialectical Notes on two or three more resources, write, revise, and proofread a Discussion on Youth Voices.

Argument

Write to two mastery-level comments on Youth Voices that follow the General Discussion commenting guide

Argument

I want students to be able to connect with the 1960's by revisiting the assassination of John F. Keneddy

Argument

Write an essay or article explaining how your perception of the American Dream has been influenced(family, media, books,etc). In your essay incorporate an article that you have found and read, or even a book or movie that demonstrates the American Dream.

Argument

I want student's to realize that Global Warming is a real issue for the world and future society.

Argument

Read and annotate the five chapters of this New York Times series. Write about Dasani, the focus of these narrative articles, the way you would write about the main character of a short story. Also, get involved in discussions about each of the articles by posting your responses, adding your comments, doing more research into the issues of homelessness and making more comments, citing your research. There are more than 22,000 homeless children in New York, the highest number since the Great Depression. This is one of their stories. (Track your progress through the steps in this mission.)

Argument

Read and annotate several of these articles about women in Ancient Egypt. When you annotate, try to type anything that is passing through your mind while you are reading. You can pose questions and speculate on answers, freewrite, argue, tell stories, make connections, add other ideas... Try to type your "movie of the mind" while reading.

Remember to add your name in the top right, then choose the Point, Area, or Text Commenting tool from a drop-down menu in the top, left-hand corner.

After you read and annotate one of these articles...

Write a response using the guide, "Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article" to write about the issues raised in this essay. Post your essay on Youth Voices.

Argument

What to do: Choose a video, game, or an article about Ancient Egypt from this Gooru Collection. Use Crocodoc or Vialogues, to read and annotate every paragraph with questions, opinions, reactions one of the articles or annotate every couple of minutes of a video. Then follow the guides listed above to post a Discussion about that article, video, or game.

Argument

The issues raised by the Jordan Davis murder trial touch deeply on issues of race, law, social justice, and any and all of these issues could be a course of study. What we hope to do with this collection is to offer a number resources that teachers and students can use to read, write, and think about the case while knowing that no set of texts can possibly speak to all of the challenges this case represents.

Argument

What to do to get mastery: Choose two of these Youth Voices Discussions Posts about Ancient Egypt that you haven't commented on yet (for your On Track comments), and use the guide "Quoting a Source in a Comment" to quote from the discussion post and an article you've researched.

Argument

Can storytelling be slowed to a walking pace in an age of quickly changing headlines? How do you share a journey that spans not seven days — but seven years? Along with Paul Salopek and his Web partners on http://www.outofedenwalk.com, we are exploring the latest multimedia technology, new digital mapping tools, exciting social media experiments about global affairs and the rewards of “slow journalism.”

Argument

"Before you finish high school, you HAVE to read...."
So many of us hear this statement, invariably followed by some "classic" or another, but what do YOU think all high schoolers should read before they graduate? Should there even be required reading at all?

Argument

Start with your own questions, then deepen your inquiry into Michael Brown's shooting, and the protests and confrontations in Ferguson by choosing from these 25 articles, songs, interviews, photographs, blog posts, podcasts, reviews, videos, and academic reports.

Argument

What does the use of Native American mascots tell us about how we see Native Americans?

Argument

Annotate a story about a lost Black life, and write a poem modeled after "Night, for Henry Dumas" and "41 Bullets Off-Broadway."

Argument

Write a response to the videos and the readings about professional athletes protesting the recent cases of police brutality. Do you think these forms of protest are effective? Why or why not?

Argument

The day after a grand jury decided not to indict the police officer who strangled Eric Garner on Staten Island, Questlove put out a challenge, calling for: "...real stories. Real narratives. Songs with spirit in them. Songs with solutions. Songs with questions. Protest songs... that speak truth...." He said that his soul was aching for "just ONE or Two songs that change the course."

Who is answering Questlove's call?

Do you think that any of the songs embedded in or linked to this mission might be part a "voice of the times that we live in" as Questlove called for?

What other songs would you put forward as meaningful protest songs for this important moment in history?

Annotate these songs, and write reviews of them, explaining how how they answer (or fall short of) Questlove's challenge to produce "community minded" songs of protest for our times.

Argument

Make thematic connections between the documentary "Every Mother's Son" and a novel you've been reading. Identify parallels and contrasts between the justice system presented in the film and the justice system in the novel. Convey reflections in a well-constructed discussion post on Youth Voices.

Argument

You are the investigator reading the reports below and inspecting the picture of the scene. Mr. Karazai’s son claims that his father hanged himself. What do you think is the truth? From the evidence available, make a case for what you think really happened. If you believe that other evidence is necessary, make a recommendation about what other evidence might need to be collected. Before you begin to write your report, list the evidence and warrants you will use in making your case.

Argument

Can video games make us more violent or do some players who are predisposed towards aggression seek out certain games? Does the level of violence in hip hop speak volumes about the industry's greed and lack of self-control? What is the cause of violence in our lives? Are video games and hip hop to blame?

Argument

Investigate emotional appeals in public health. Do a Google search of the phrase public health emotional appeals. Explore two or more of the search results and annotate them. Write a reflection on some of the ways that emotional appeals are used in public health. Post it as a discussion, and comment and reply on other students' discussion posts.

Argument

Annotate these resources from the historic, last week in April 2015 about "Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising, April 2015." Read and listen to these sources and annotate them. Then write a discussion post where you quote from these sources, and comment on other students' posts about Freddie Gray and the Baltimore Uprising. Later go back to these sources, and engage with other students by replying to their annotations.

Argument

Annotate this week's Do Now from KQED, then compose and post your response as a discussion on Youth Voices, and tweet a link to your discussion post.

Argument

Write a response to this essay.

Argument

Read and annotate, watch and annotate videos and listen to and annotate podcasts to learn more about Kalief Browder. Get involved in discussions about Kalief Browder by commenting and adding your own essays and poems as discussion posts.

Argument

Read and annotate the first chapter of Alfred North Whitehead's The Aims of Education. Use these three versions of the same text to compare some of the affordances of Hypothes.is, NowComment, and Genius.

Argument

Create a meme that expresses an opinion about the presidential election. Write a few words about the purpose and intent of your meme.