Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Booktalk

We are developing a VoiceThread together as we read Black Boy together. You can simply read from the text, dramatize a section, tell your own story that is related to something in the novel, or express your thoughts, feelings and opinions about a particular section. Each section of the novel is identified with a specific photograph.

Booktalk

Read Aloud, Annotate, and Record Kurt Vonnegut's "2BR02B."

Booktalk

Let's read, write comments, and record Cory Doctoro's "Little Brother" together.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record yourself reading, and engage in discussions about Transitions, A collection of children’s books created by middle school students in Mr. Mayo’s Lights, Camera, Media, Literacy! class at Silver Spring International Middle School (2012). When you finish each story in this collection write a response and post it as a discussion. Also follow up with research into the important issues raised by these stories for students, and add to the discussions for Transitions.

Booktalk

Reviews on American Born Chinese

Booktalk

We want to know what you think of Down These Mean Streets. What are the important themes, lessons, inquiries, and questions in Piri Thomas's "vivid, brutally honest memoir of experiences of racial prejudice and discrimination, identity formation, and youthful involvement with crime that leads to life-altering prison experiences" (Wikipedia). Piri spend's "much of his adolescent and early adult life contemplating his racial and ethnic identity." How do you find these issuese in your life and in the world today?

Booktalk

Boo Radley shared bits of his life with Jem and Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird by placing things in the knothole of a tree. If you could only express your life through things placed in a knothole, what would you put, why would you put it?

Booktalk

Let's read the first chapter of Black Boy together. Read and listen to each of the stories. Write responses using the Literature Guides. Then record each section of the first chapter of Black Boy and post the MP3 of that recording with your response to that excerpt.

Booktalk

Read and annotate first four chapters. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.

Booktalk

Let's read, annotate, comment on, and record Bad Boy together. The most important part of this is that you are having online conversations about this novel with other students. (So don't forget 3d, 4d, 5d, 6d, and 7d.)

Booktalk

Write about Squeaky, a dynamic character in "Raymond's Run" by Toni Cade Bambara. First, find several details that make Squeaky who she is and map the plot, then determine how the plot affects how we understand the Squeaky's character. While reading, stop after the first three paragraphs to describe what makes Squeaky who she is. Later, make predictions about the text, and when you have finished reading, create a plot map. Then write a Literature Response for Youth Voices in which you determine the relationship between the plot and the way Squeaky is described in the story. Finally, comment on other students' posts about "Raymond's Run."

Booktalk

Practice and record a dramatic reading of a page of dialogue from a novel.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first chapter, using one or two of the five questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter one. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 1.

Booktalk

Read and annotate a poem and a short story about political oppression and fear that can change the way people think and act. Write a literary essay, then comment on other students' essays.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the second and third chapters of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to these two chapters, using one or two of the four questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapters two and three. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 2 and 3.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the fourth chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the fourth chapter, using one or two of the three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter four. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 4.

Booktalk

Write a response to "Lucky to be with Habib" and "One of Them" or another vignette from Sold, by Patricia McCormick. Too many children are abused by adults – physically, emotionally and sometimes sexually. What happens to girls like Lakshmi, the girl in this vignette, or boys and girls that are abused in the U.S.? Life is full of suffering. It is also full of joy. So what does it all mean? Why do some people suffer more than others? How do people go on and rebuild their lives after something horrible happens to them?

Booktalk

Read "Thank you Ma'am" (while listening to it), then annotate it in Genius. Reply to other students' and Genius annotations. Write a response to the story using one of the suggested literature guides, and comment and reply on other students' posts.

Booktalk

Rewrite Edgar Allan Poe's poem for a modern audience or write an essay that illuminates the mythological references in the poem.

Booktalk

Write notes about the details of this book.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the fifth chapter of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of this chapter on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first chapter, using one or two of the five three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapter one. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapter 5.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first six vignettes of The House on Mango Street. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Also record your reading of two or three of these vignettes on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this first section of the novel. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of The House on Mango Street by commenting on another student's discussion post about these first six vignettes. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text.

Booktalk

Read and annotate 11 vignettes from Part 2 of The House on Mango Street. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Also record your reading of three of four of these vignettes on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this second section of the novel. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of The House on Mango Street by commenting on another student's discussion post about these 11 vignettes from Part 2 of the novel. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record important passages, and get involved in sourced conversations about George Orwell's 1984. Also do research and make connections to between the book and contemporary issues.

Booktalk

Read and annotate, record important passages, and get involved in sourced conversations about F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby. Also do research and make connections to between the book and contemporary issues.

Booktalk

Write about Richard Wright's Native Son.

Booktalk

Read and write about this book.

Booktalk

Annotate this novel together. Record your favorite passages, and get involved in a discussion about the novel.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the first seven chapters of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to the first seven chapters, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of To Kill a Mockingbird by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 1-7. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on The Great Depression, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 1-7.

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 8-11 of To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to these four chapters, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of To Kill a Mockingbird by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 8-11. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the history surrounding these chapters, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 8=11.

Booktalk

Read and annotate the prologue and the first eight chapters of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about the Prologue and Chapters 1-8. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Who is responsible for the downfall of Macbeth? Post your opinions. Feel free to politely and intelligently debate with others!

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 9-11 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the nine questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 9-11. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 12-17 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the three questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 12-17. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 18-20 of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the seven questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 18-20. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read, annotate, write about, and discuss autism.

Booktalk

Read and annotate Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of the six questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Tuck Everlasting by commenting on another student's discussion post about Chapters 21-25 and the Epilogue. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on Tuck Everlasting, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read and annotate "Summer," the first section of This Side of Home by Renée Watson. Read the book aloud along with another student or an adult. Pause frequently to annotate the text. Choose what you think are important passages these chapters, and record them using VoiceThread. Then write your response to this part of the book, using one or two of questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of This Side of Home by commenting on another student's discussion post about the "Summer" section, Chapters 1-16. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on gentrification, and add your findings by writing another comment or reply to another discussion post about this part of the book. (Make a copy of this Doc to track your progress.)

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 1a, Chapters 1-5

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 4

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 2

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 1b, Chapters 6-15

Booktalk

Read, listen to, and annotate "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kesey - Part 3.

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 5-9. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 10-13. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.

Booktalk

Read and annotate chapters 14-17. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.

Booktalk

Read and annotate last four chapters. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.