Missions and Investigations: Make something awesome!

What's a mission or investigation? Read more: Missions and Investigations on Genius

Play Youth Voices
Badges defining learning paths through some
of the missions that are listed below.
How to Make a Mission/Investigation Competencies to provide for
in a mission/investigation

Our Stories and Poems

Image for  at Youth Voices

Write 10 self and 10 world questions (+ keywords) to find your own area of inquiry, your own niche of expertise and excitement.

Our Stories and Poems

In this mission you will write descriptions and responses in a nature notebook, take photographs in a garden, and compose poems about flowers, vegetables and fruit. Then you'll do research on the flowers, vegetables, and fruit that your peers have published. Next, you'll write comments that include quotations (with citations) from your research and another poem in response the the one you're commenting on.

Our Stories and Poems

Let's write stories that are moments in our lives that mark who we are, stories that come from unforgettable events in our lives, that have created indelible memories for each of us individually.

Our Stories and Poems

Think about how you would like to introduce yourself to the Youth Voices community of students and teachers. Your bio will be one click away from each of your discussion posts and comments on this site.

Our Stories and Poems

Write two poems like those in Born Tying Knots: Swampy Cree Naming Stories. First, tell the story of your “Past Swampy Cree Indian Name.” Write a poem/story that explains why you might have been given this back THEN. After that, write a second poem to tell the story of your “Present Swampy Cree Indian Name.” What name would people who know you NOW give you at this time? Why?

Our Stories and Poems

Letter Writing with "The Things They Carried"

What is the most important thing you carry with you every day? Why is it significant in your life? Who would you want to tell about this weight you carry, and what would you tell them about it? Is it a concrete object or something more symbolic? In this mission you can be funny or serious, but you are going to explore a weight you carry with you in life through letter writing.

Our Stories and Poems

As a way of introducing themselves, students post "This I Believe" essays The idea is for students to not only get to know each other, but to open up their writing to a broader audience and receive feedback from someone besides their own classmates. By working together and sharing ideas, we hope to help each other become better writers!

Our Stories and Poems

Poi circles.jpg

Consider the qualities that make a person your hero. Explain why this person is your hero and come to some conclusion on the nature of heroism (what exactly makes someone a hero).

Our Stories and Poems

Every person has 'The Monster' inside of them. Write a story about the monster inside of you. 

Our Stories and Poems

We are all experts on who we are, the lives we have lived and the experiences that impact on who we are and how we see the world. Through our stories we learn about ourselves and the experiences of others. In this project students will explore their history as readers as a way of understanding its contribution to who they are as readers. As students explore these identities,  and the role they play in their reading lives, they will also reflect on how they want to revise these identities as a pathway to enacting change in their lives and communities.

Our Stories and Poems

CReate an outsider

Our Stories and Poems

The title of James Baldwin's If Beale Street Could Talk is connected to blues music. Since there is a strong connection between music and modern poetry, it might be interesting to briefly study bop poetry--a poetic form created by Afaa Michael Weaver--because it is a genre that speaks about a problem (as blues music often does) and uses repetition (as songs usually do). Read several examples of bop poetry and write an original bop poem of your own.

Our Stories and Poems

Post a photo and description of a designated space. Format is stream of consciousness with no regard for structure or punctuation.

Our Stories and Poems

What made you write that poem, story, or piece of prose? What does it mean to you? Sometimes we just have to get our thoughts out there Thanks for sharing!

Our Stories and Poems

As an introductory project, you will create a powtoon animation that conveys aspects of your identity and immigration through text and images.

Our Stories and Poems

Explore what your name means to you like Esperanza does in The House on Mango Street. Write a prose poem that answers the following questions: What does your name mean to you? Where does it come from? Did you ever wish that you could change it?

Our Stories and Poems

¿Cómo podemos capturar un elemento de nuestra identidad en sólo seis palabras?
(English Version)

Our Stories and Poems

In this mission, you will write your own story using narrative form, or using the basic "parts" of a story: introduction, setting, characters, protagonist, plot, climax, and conclusion.

En esta misión, escribirás tu propio cuento usando forma narrativa, o usando "las partes" básicas de una historia: introducción, marco escénico, personajes, protagonista, trama, clímax, y conclusión.

Our Stories and Poems

Begin to explore your past and future by writing every day in your journal, choosing one of the prompts listed in this mission. Write about questions like these: What have been some of the positive influences in your life thus far? What have been some of the negative influences you’ve had? How did you overcome these challenges? What support and resources do you need to achieve your goals?

Our Stories and Poems

For this mission, you will compose two pieces of writing about your name: a poem and a personal essay. This mission can be completed in isolation, or after reading Round 1 of Ernesto Quinonez's novel Bodega Dreams

Our Stories and Poems

Write a narrative about your family's healthcare practices. Interview family members and tell stories to create a narrative showing the influences of your culture and beliefs on your family's health. How does your family stay healthy? How do they define illness? What would your family define as a MINOR medical problem? Give examples. Who is the first person you turn to when you are ill? Finally, compare your story with the stories in The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman (1997).

Our Stories and Poems

Try your hand at sonnet writing. You do not need to be Shakespeare; you just need to try. Shakespeare wrote 154 sonnets. It takes contemplation and a focus on diction. Most sonnets focus on love and fate as their topics. You may choose either topic to write about or try another topic of your choice.

• It must consist of 14 lines
  • Try to write your piece in iambic pentameter (10 beats per line)
  • It should follow Shakespeare’s rhyme scheme (abab cdcd efef gg)

Our Stories and Poems

Respond to a novel by creating a found poem depicting a key scene or event. Use powtoon software to design an audiovisual complement to your poem.

Our Stories and Poems

If you could speak with a politician, what would you like to tell them about the "Black Lives Matter campaign? Share your personal stories and provide insight into why Black Lives Matter.

Our Stories and Poems

Write a list poem about Thanksgiving.