Search for News on Your Question

Annotate every paragraph or so of recent newspaper articles with questions and opinions using hypothes.is or NowComment.

A good way to start a research project is in the here and now. Find a news article that appeared within the past 30 days. If you use Google News, you'll be looking in about 4,500 news sites. Sure, news comes and goes, but  a newspaper is a good place to start your research, to see how your question or topic is showing up in the news these days. You'll also find leads to other more in-depth, well-developed sources that you can use to continue your research. 

You have a choice now for how to get involved in a Discussion on Youth Voices:

1. Either use the guide below to the left and add a comment to another student's discussion post about your inquiry topic, transcribing and citing an important section from the news article that you have read and annotated.

2. Or use the guide on the right to write a text-dependent response to the news item that you have read and annotated, and post it as a discussion on Youth Voices.

You choose, but in either case, remember that we encourage you to go beyond these guidelines adding as much as you would like.

Follow this guide when you are Adding a quotation to a discussion or comment

Use guide linked above to write a brief post to bookmark something you've found online for use in a more developed essay.

or

Write a comment in which you are recommending a source for another student.
This guide asks you to identify your inquiry project and how this quotation pushes your thinking. After inserting a chunk of text from your source, you are asked to paraphrase the quote, then write more about the significance of this in your own inquiry.

After annotating, use this guide: Basic Response to a Non-Fiction Article.

Use the guide linked above when you want to write a more formal response to one essay.

This guide will ask you to quote at least two times from that essay, and to explain why those two quotes represent the author's views and your thoughts about those views. What makes these parts of the text stand out for you?

You'll also be asked to explain at least two things you agree or disagree within the text and to give your reasons. And you'll be asked to say what you appreciate most about this writer's work.

Work you will have: 

1. Links to your five best hypothes.is or NowComment annotations on recent news articles related to your question.
  2. EITHER: A link to a comment you added to another student's post in which you use a quotation from a news article you've read and annotated. This should include a to paraphrase of the quote and writing about the significance of this in your own inquiry.
  3. OR: A link to a post on Youth Voices in which you quote at least two times from a news article you have read recently. You also need to to explain why those two quotes represent the author's views and your thoughts about those views, why you agree or disagree.

Badges: