Night - Chapters 2 and 3

Hungarian Jews arrive at Auschwitz-Birkenau, May or June 1944
from Yad Vashem's Auschwitz Album.

Read and annotate the second and third chapters of Night by Elie Wiesel. Listen to and read the words at the same time. Pause frequently to annotate the text. You can also record your reading of these chapters on VoiceThread. Then write your response to these two chapters, using one or two of the four questions in this mission. Next, get engaged in a conversation about this part of Night by commenting on another student's discussion post about chapters two and three. Also, be sure to reply to anybody's comment on your own discussion post. In between all of that, play the Quizlet games to review your comprehension of the text. Finally, do more research on the Holocaust, and add your findings to another comment or reply on another discussion post about Chapters 2 and 3.

Also See: NIght - Chapter 1 | NIght - Chapter 4 | NIght - Chapter 5

Step One of Six: Read and Annotate While Listening to Chapter 2 and 3 of Night.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Click the tiny < arrow in the right-hand corner, and sign in (or sign up) at hypothes.is.

Make notes on words

• identify keywords and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph or more—up to a whole page

• a section you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or two, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

Night, Chapter 2

Night, Chapter 3

Step Two of Six: Read an Important Section from Chapter 2 and One from Chapter 3 Aloud

Choose two important passages, one from Night - Chapters 2, and one from Chapter 3, and read them aloud. Record yourself reading these pages on this VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Three of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these four questions from the "Hill and Wang Teacher's Guide"

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Cassandra was a figure in Greek mythology (Also see Aeschylus' "Agamemnon," Lines 1220 - 1252.) who received the gift of prophecy with the simultaneous curse that no one would ever believe her. Compare Cassandra to Mrs. Schächter. Are there other Cassandras in Night? Who are they? Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe the character of Mrs. Schächter. Be sure to also include the ways in which she is a "Cassandra."

2. Not long after arriving at Birkenau, Eliezer and his father experience the horrors of the crematory firsthand—and are nearly killed themselves. “Babies!” Wiesel writes. “Yes, I did see this, with my own eyes . . . children thrown into the flames” (p. 32). Look back on Eliezer’s physical, mental, and emotional reactions to this hellish and inexplicable experience. How does the story of Night change at this point? How does Wiesel himself change? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

3. Consider the inscription that appears above the entrance to Auschwitz. What is it supposed to mean? What meaning, if any, does this slogan come to have for Eliezer? Use either "Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating to begin talking about this theme in Night.

4. Reflecting on the three weeks he spent at Auschwitz, Wiesel admits on p. 45: “Some of the men spoke of God: His mysterious ways, the sins of the Jewish people, and the redemption to come. As for me, I had ceased to pray. I concurred with Job!” What happens to the man called Job in the Bible (See Holy Bible, KJV, Job 1)? What is his story? Explain why Eliezer feels connected to him. Use either Character Analysis Introduction or Character Archetypes to describe the character of Eliezer and why he feels connected to Job.

Step Four of Six: Play games with these flashcards.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Night - Chapters 2 and 3" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research about the Holocaust, making notes. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Night Chapters 2 and 3."

While reading and looking at the documents from each of the "Stories of the Holocaust," pause frequently and write in Docs about what you are seeing and understanding. Use either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech... or Dialectical Notes. Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Night - Chapters 2 and 3" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.