A Milestone for Justice in Africa

Jul 23, 2015
by: margaret

The New York Times posted an article by the Editorial board titled A Milestone for Justice in Africa (that we can annotate together). It talks about The former president of Chad, Hissène Habré and how during his eight year reign 40,000 people were killed and thousands more were tortured. This is the first time in Africa that a court in one country will try a former leader. Hissène Habré will be tried with crimes against humanity.

The author of this piece uses facts to sway your opinion, by showing you and how awful Hissène Habré was during that eight years and giving you reason why is his going to court. “A truth commission in Chad found that more than 40,000 people were killed and thousands more tortured during Mr. Habré’s eight-year regime, which ended with his ouster in 1990.” This passage just plainly tells you why he is being tried. This is an example of a logo they are giving you a reason to hold an option.

This article is also giving you the opinion on how the case will affect Africa as a whole. “Not only will the trial cast much needed light on a brutal chapter in the country’s history, it will also send an important message to the continent’s strongmen: murderous regimes will not go unpunished.” This passage is looking at the big picture, it is explaining that because of this case Africa is being brought in to a world of justice and is advancing as a continent. This is an example of a pathos by talking about how murders the continent has been of over the past couple of years making this piece trigger some emotion in the reader.

I agree with the author of this piece, this court case will change Africa. This step toward justice will show that the world is backing Africa up by providing them with money to fund the case. It shows that the people want to have justice and not chaos. For Africa this will change everything.