Occupy Youth Voices

As you follow the news about Occupy Wall Street on facebook, twitter, and other Internet sources, we want to encourage you to add your voice by posting discussions about the protests that are being organized in your own community and across the world.

First

Your first step, perhaps, is to learn more. (Using these launch pages may not always be the first thing you do. And returning to them later in your inquiry would be a good idea too, since they get updated frequently.)

Here are a couple of standard, reliable, neutral, detailed places to start. And we mean places to start. It's not enough to quote just from these sources in your discussion posts. You need other sources to back up what you find on these collections listed here in the first step.

Treat these as your launching pads to finding more primary, supported, opinionated media that you can use to corroborate the information you find in these more encyclopedia-like summaries. Look for opposing viewpoints.

Post discussions about what you are finding by using the Guides for Responding to non-fiction texts:

Second

Next, please search for more information on local events. What's the local knowledge on the Occupy Wall Street movement? Here are a couple of ways of finding local news. You might know of some others. Look for opposing viewpoints.

• Meetup has an Occupy Together page where you can search for your city or town or one nearby and find out what is happening locally.
  • Google News allows you to filter for your state or city. Use the Advanced news search and
    add your location to "Return only articles from news sources located in"
    or
    add "location:Your State or City" to the search box
    (for example: Occupy Wall Street location:San Francisco).
  • Add your city to the search box on fwix.com, then search for Occupy Wall Street to find local stories.

Depending on where you are in your inquiry/project, you might also use one of the Guides for Responding to nonfiction texts listed above or you might use one these Guides for Structured essays or some combination of your own:

Third

At some point you will want to see what people are saying on social media. Remember these comments, tweets, or posts are passionate, opinionated, biased, and usually unsupported. Anything you find on these social sites needs to be verified through other sources.

Here's where to find general comments from everybody about Occupy Wall Street on the most popular social networks:

Post discussions about what you are finding by using this Guides for Responding to non-fiction texts:

Fourth

Visit or (when you are ready) participate in an Occupy Wall Street event in your area. You can find out what is going on locally by finding you locatioin on the Occupy Together Meetups Everywhere site.

Please take pictures, record interviews, speeches, shoot video, and take notes! Then add this media with your reflections to discussions on Youth Voices.

Post discussions about your experiences by using this Guide for Structured essays:

Next

What's next is up to you! It makes sense that you take over this inquiry or project. Where do you think it should go? The steps listed above are not intended to be an order for you to follow. It's more like a dance than it is a sequence. So, what's next? Youi take the lead.