News Article

Are you tired of writing boring old research papers that are just full of data? Learn how to synthesize sources to both appeal to an audience and deliver factual information by creating a news article.

When creating a news article, it is a good idea to try and combine something that has emotional appeal with something that has factual data about the topic you are writing about.

Luckily, this also creates a great opportunity for students to develop much higher levels of analysis and writing. In The Digital Writing Workshop, Troy Hicks writes about the different levels of thinking when writing blogs. He writes, "[Will Richardson] suggests that there are at least eight ways to think about the types of 'connective thinking' that can happen when composing a post, moving from lower levels of thinking that he defines as 'not blogging' in the connective sense to higher levels that are 'real' or 'complex' blogging....For instance, students can simply post responses to journal prompts or share links. In higher levels, they can write analyses of other online materials, synthesizing across sources and building on their previous posts" (41). This mission includes all aspects of this higher level of blogging.

For this mission, students should have already posted about a topic that they discovered in the Ten Questions Mission. In that first post, they explain everything they know about the topic and everything they want to find out about it.

For this news article, students do an inquiry on the same topic they wrote of earlier. They search for, analyze, and synthesize at least two different sources from the internet. One would be for factual information on the topic, and one is included more for emotional appeal (propaganda).

For this example, my topic was implicit bias. I looked for articles about implicit bias [unconscious stereotypes], and I also looked for articles about a celebrity speaking against stereotypes.

Then, to complete the inquiry and news article, I just looked for the patterns between the two sources and pointed those connections out for an audience who hopefully gets pulled in by the emotional appeal of the celebrity's name.

See what you can find out about your topic, and be sure to create a catchy title.

Hicks, Troy. The Digital Writing Workshop. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 2009. Print.

All Missions: Grouped by Channel

Looking for ideas? We invite all students and their teachers to use these projects to create discussions at any time. Choose a title in the list below to find detailed instructions and examples.

Are you a power user of Youth Voices? Check out Youth Voices Challenges and Tasks (aligned with Common Core Learning Standards), (Revised September 2012), and Play Youth Voices.

Check out the articles (PDFs) students and teachers have collected for each other in this Youth Voices Personal Crocodoc folder. Add folders with new topics and add PDFs of articles that you think others might find helpful int their research. How to video for using and adding PDFs in the Youth Voices Crocodoc Folder.

Gooru Collections: Find resources to support students' inquiries.

Members of Youth Voices can Create a Mission, Add a Page, and Add a Wiki.

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________