Annotating together: Articles, Audio, and Video about The Shooting of Trayvon Martin

Comment on a couple of articles, podcasts, and videos about The Shooting of Trayvon Martin. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Comment on a couple of articles about The Shooting of Trayvon Martin. Please log in to your Google account so that we can keep track of your comments.

Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent
Schulten, K. 2012. "On Trayvon Martin: A Guest Post From a Teenager, and Some Teaching Suggestions." The New York Times, [online] 26 March.

Respond to Mr. Turner’s essay by posting a comment The New York Times Learning Blog and by posting a discussion or a comment on Youth Voices. Use the Guide: General Response to a Non-Fiction Article.

What Everyone Should Know About Trayvon Martin (1995-2012)
Legum, Judd. Thinkprogress.org (2012) "What Everyone Should Know About Trayvon Martin (1995-2012)." ThinkProgress. [online] [Accessed: 27 Mar 2012].

Respond to this article by quoting facts from it in a comment or a discussion post on Youth Voices. Please use the guide:  Adding a quotation to a discussion or comment to organize a few paragraphs around a quote that you can then post into a discussion or a comment on Youth Voices.

Shooting of Trayvon Martin 
Shooting of Trayvon Martin. (2012, March 27). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 16:12, March 27, 2012.

Respond to this article by using this guide: Response to a Wikipedia article.

"I am Trayvon Martin" [online] Radio Rookies Blog  Friday, March 23, 2012 - 03:17 PM By Vincent Marrero

For Trayvon and Emmett: My "Walking While Black" stories
Dagnal-Myron, C. (2012) For Trayvon and Emmett: My "Walking While Black" stories. Open Solon, [blog] 21 March, Accessed: 31 March 2012.

Write your own "Walking While Black [or another profiled identity]" story or poem.

How to Talk to Young Black Boys about Trayvon Martin
Toure (2012) How to Talk to Young Black Boys About Trayvon Martin.Time Ideas, [online] 21 March. Accessed: 1 April 2012.

Create a public service ad telling young Black boys how to act given the dangers they face. Remember the that Toure's essay is ironic in that it shows how absurd any such warnings are and that the real problem rests with the profiling and racism that African-American young men face in their lives.

Why Is the N.Y.C.P.D After Me?
Peart, B.N.K. 2011. Why Is the N.Y.P.D. After Me?. The New York Times, [online] 17 December. Accessed 02 April 2012.

Write your own article like this one where you document your history with the police.

Add your annotations to articles in the Youth Voices Crocodoc Folder in the sub-folder: "Trayvon Martin shooting" - placed here after the Zimmerman verdict

Remix these videos, and post your responses as a discussion on Youth Voices:

All Missions: Grouped by Channel

Looking for ideas? We invite all students and their teachers to use these projects to create discussions at any time. Choose a title in the list below to find detailed instructions and examples.

Are you a power user of Youth Voices? Check out Youth Voices Challenges and Tasks (aligned with Common Core Learning Standards), (Revised September 2012), and Play Youth Voices.

Check out the articles (PDFs) students and teachers have collected for each other in this Youth Voices Personal Crocodoc folder. Add folders with new topics and add PDFs of articles that you think others might find helpful int their research. How to video for using and adding PDFs in the Youth Voices Crocodoc Folder.

Gooru Collections: Find resources to support students' inquiries.

Members of Youth Voices can Create a Mission, Add a Page, and Add a Wiki.

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Argument

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Arts and Entertainment

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Booktalk

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________

Connected Research

[title]

____________________