Ideas that Work: From the New York City Writing Project

Read and annotate Teacher to Teacher Ideas that Work From the New York City Writing Project Compiled and Edited by Katherine Schulten

About the New York City Writing Project

The New York City Writing Project (NYCWP) has provided support in language arts and literacy education to children, young adults, teachers, and schools since 1978. As an affiliate of the National Writing Project, the NYCWP is part of a nation-wide network of 185 university-based sites which seek to improve K-16 education through professional development, school-based services and research studies in the field of literacy.

The NYCWP bases its work in the belief that the act of writing enables learners to make meaning for themselves and as such is a powerful tool for learning. During summer and school-year seminars and study groups, teachers collaborate with their peers to transform the ways in which writing and reading are perceived, used, taught, and evaluated in urban classrooms. Writing Project programs improve teaching and learning K-12 by supporting public school colleagues who seek to:

• Explore assumptions about language and literacy;
• Investigate the relationships among instruction, assessment,and student performance;
• Build and refine reading and writing skills;
• Examine pedagogy and classroom practices;
• Integrate reading and writing across the curriculum;
• Design teacher-research projects to document successful approaches to writing and learning for diverse populations; and
• Develop capacities to serve as leaders among peers.

The New York City Writing Project is a program of the Institute for Literacy Studies, Lehman College, The City University of New York.

NYCWP receives support from CUNY, Lehman College, the New York City Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Education through the National Writing Project, and from a range of additional public and private sources.

For more information about the activities and programs of the New York City Writing Project, please call us at (718) 960-8758, or visit the website.