Logos, Ethos, Pathos

Find an opinion piece from an online newspaper, (Austin American Statesman, Austin Chronicle, USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post, etc.) about a topic that interests you. Read it through a couple of times – how does the author try to persuade the audience of his/her argument? How does the author use ethos, pathos or logos? Write about it on Youth Voices.

Find an opinion piece from an online newspaper, (Austin American Statesman, Austin Chronicle, USA Today, New York Times, Washington Post, etc.) about a topic that interests you. Read it through a couple of times – how does the author try to persuade the audience of his/her argument? How does the author use ethos, pathos or logos? Write about it on Youth Voices. You may use the template below or you may write in your own style. Your post should include the following:

• Paragraph 1: Name of author, title of piece and newspaper, and a summary of the main point/thesis of the piece.
  • Paragraph 2: Look at the evidence the author provides to make his/her case. Provide two examples of how the author uses ethos, pathos or logos to persuade the audience. Include quotes and explanation.
  • Paragraph 3: Explain your opinion about the topic.

If you would like some help formatting the bulleted requirements above, use this template:

1. In [Author's Name] opinion piece, "[Exact Title]," from [Name of the Newspaper], the author [summarize the main point/argument of the text].
  2. [Author's name] uses [ethos, pathos, or logos] to support [his/her] claim in paragraph _ when he/she says, [quote]. This is basically saying [paraphrase the quote, putting it into your own words. Be sure your re-statement is clear, complete, and cogent.] 

A more detailed Guide is also available: Ethos, Pathos, and Logos.