Photographable Questions

Day 242: Questions For Heaven, by amanky on flickr (Creative Commons)

One of the most important things you can do as a photographer is to document your interests. If you care about what you photograph, you'll do better work. This exercise will help you think more about what interests you and what you're curious about. After that, you'll photograph some of your interests.

This exercise will help you think more about what interests you and what you're curious about. After that, you'll photograph some of your interests.

1. If you are using Google Docs, make your teacher a collaborator by sharing your Google Doc with your teacher.
  2. Write 10 questions that you have about yourself, your community, and/or the world.
  3. In parenthesis, type at least five keywords (or tags) after each question. (See examples below.)
  4. Next, pick one question and write about why it is of interest to you and all that you already know about it. Write what you hope to learn about your question.
  5. When you are done, copy the text from your Google Doc and then post the writing as a Discussion on Youth Voices, choose a channel, and add five or more keywords.  Label one of the tags "questions"
  6. Next, read other Discussions that relate to the same topic by clicking the tag called "questions." Comment to those writers who are writing, recording posts, and uploading images or videos about topics that are also of interest to you.
  7. Edit your post by adding the following image. Take a photograph that has your question somewhere in it. You can enter the text using an application like Photoshop, or you can write the words somewhere in the scene that you're photographing (like the example above).

Example "photographable" questions and keywords from a class at Judge Memorial:

• How does something look at different times of the day and in different weather? (night, morning, sunny, stormy, time, weather)>
  • What makes kids cute? (Children, cute pretty)
  • Where is the beauty? Beauty
  • What does nature have to offer? Nature
  • What makes water pretty? Water
  • What makes my dog so adorable? (adorable, Holly, dog, attraction)
  • What sorts of things do people do for for fun at night in SLC? (city night life, Salt Lake City nightlife)
  • How much do humans really have an affect on the environment? (environment, global warming, climate change, pollution, clean air, clean water)
  • Why do plants and trees change throughout the seasons? (nature, flowers, trees, photosynthesis, aspect)
  • How do people achieve the skills of modeling? (beauty, makeup, clothes, body)

Example discussion posts