All posts

So, I wrote a sonnet about Donald Trump

Discussion by: Roan522 on Tue, 2016-06-07 20:26 with 0 comments

A candidate’s the color of my hair,
Yet he shouts of deporting immigrants.
Illegals! Illegals! It’s like a swear,
Because he lacks his due diligence.
No wonder then, that the youth of today,
Fight in the streets for two different old men.
They look at America in dismay,
And ask themselves, how it all can happen,
That a country that made it to the moon,
On less RAM than you need on a math test,
Has spoken, and chose this mad old buffoon?
He would be naught but an unwelcome guest,
In that venerable house of a leader,
Where he’d put in nothing but fe-ar.

Advocating and Supporting PTSD

Discussion by: Josephine302 on Tue, 2016-06-07 16:58 with 0 comments
They need support, and we have the power to help

PTSD is the war disorder that goes far beyond the battlefield. PTSD, or Post-traumatic Stress Disorder, is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of a life-threatening events such as military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, etc. Most survivors of these kinds of trauma return to normal given a little time. However, some people will have stress reactions that do not go away on their own, or may even get worse over time. These individuals may develop PTSD.

Enrique's Willpower: A found poem

Discussion by: robertojoaquin.4.14a on Tue, 2016-06-07 14:36 with 0 comments

Enrique’s Will Power

Migrants riding on the moving train... hungry and mouth swelling all they found was yellow water.

Thousands of migrants who rode were caught by the migra the luckiest made it to the U.S.

The first time, la migra captured and sent them back on the bus of tears.

The second attempt,the police stopped, Enrique had to jump off.

The third attempt ,they robbed him.

The fourth attempt, la migra took Enrique back to Guatemala.

Found poem

Discussion by: franceska.lafontant on Tue, 2016-06-07 14:12 with 0 comments

Lourdes worried about enrique
A year ago
Belky told Lourdes the truth
“He’s getting in trouble, He changed”
Lourdes knows that Enrique is on a dangerous journey
So Lourdes is more worried

Lourdes telephone honduras
Enrique is on his way
Lourdes is happy
She will see Enrique soon,
But the same time
She is nervous
Because they have been distant for so long.

The Benefits of Free Health Care in America

Discussion by: safah on Tue, 2016-06-07 12:45 with 0 comments

Imagine a world without the stress of medical bills and its debt. America should have free healthcare because doctors are taking advantage of their power when scheduling random, unnecessary scannings, people with major illnesses cannot pay for their sickness when they have no control of it, and we have proof of effective systems in nations such as Canada.

A Daughter's Feelings: A Found Poem

Discussion by: yailynmunozfernandez on Tue, 2016-06-07 12:31 with 0 comments

A Daughter’s Feelings:
A found poem by Yailyn Munoz
Adapted from Enrique’s Journey

Runs toward her mother when she sees her.
”Mami!” She cries.
Sobs and embraces.
Crooked teeth, curly hair, and a big smile.”
Keeps her distance from Enrique.
”He is your father,” Maria Isabel insists.
Enrique tried to bridge the divide by spoiling his daughter.
Grows closer to her father.
“You are my girl,” Enrique says.
Inseparable from her grandmother.
Spend time together.

Love Prevails: A Found Poem

Discussion by: jerry.jeanbapti... on Tue, 2016-06-07 12:11 with 0 comments

Love Prevails: A found poem by Jerry Jean-Baptiste

Adapted from Enrique’s Journey by Sonia Nazario

“You will respect me when I talk to you!” Lourdes yell back and spanks his buttocks

“You have no right to hit me! You didn’t raise me”

Escape: A Found Poem

Discussion by: leslie.menjivar98 on Tue, 2016-06-07 10:45 with 0 comments

Found Poem
Escape
“I can’t miss it,”
Enrique says to himself.
How can he escape?
Migrants agents are standing nearby.
Sees an old bicycle, he climbs on top.
Jumps and the soles of his feet smack onto the ground.
Before La Migra notice.
Enrique runs back toward the cemetery
To hide until ten am
On this day, March 26, 2000.
Enrique grabs one of its ladder,
Summons his strength and pulls himself up.
He is aboard.

Bill Nye: the Mad Scientist Archetype

Discussion by: aneliesebaker on Tue, 2016-06-07 06:59 with 0 comments

There's no denying that Bill Nye had a huge influence on children and teen's of today. Just ask any American child of his name, and you will get an immediate recollection, perhaps even the chorus of his show's theme song. Bill Nye incorporated the essence of many of our childhoods. His videos feature an eccentric scientist that uses goofiness to relate to young children and teach them aspects of science. In many ways, he portrays the archetype of the "mad scientist", not through ways of insanity, but more through offbeat and "wacky" behavior.

Reflection of Research Paper Writing Process - Annotated Bib

Discussion by: connorc on Mon, 2016-06-06 13:27 with 0 comments

Recently in my expository writing class, we were asked to write a research paper on any topic that we chose. After searching the web for various topics, one particular one that stuck out to me was the controversial topic of the legzlization of marijuana. However, I'm not posting to talk about that topic, but rather the first step that went into my research paper regarding the topic - the annotated bibliography. Back when I was in Florida in AP Seminar class, we had to do a lot of very detailed bibliographies that were collected for a hefty grade.

Archetypes of Donald Trump

Discussion by: Bryan L. on Mon, 2016-06-06 11:46 with 3 comments
Donald Trump

Some people don’t like Donald Trump. Some people REALLY don’t like Donald Trump. Some people have such a great dislike for Donald Trump, that they will assault Trump supporters leaving a rally(http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/violence-breaks-trump-rally-san-jose-prot...). But no matter you’re opinion on Trump, there’s no avoiding the fact that a lot of people don’t like him.

Archetype

Discussion by: The Movie Destroyer on Mon, 2016-06-06 11:21 with 0 comments

Deadpool. Yes, we’re talking about Deadpool. He appeared in one of the only two R-rated movies in MCU (The other one in Wolverine 3, which is coming soon), as the MERC with a mouth, hunting down Ajax, or Francis, to save his girl. Pretty simple plot, huh? But Deadpool doesn’t do hero jobs, he declared that, and he is an anti-hero.

I assume that everyone has seen the Deadpool movie, so you should know the plot. But if you don't, please visit my Movie Destroyer on Deadpool movie (contains spoilers). This is the link:

Videogame Hero Archetype

Discussion by: TravisA on Mon, 2016-06-06 11:04 with 1 comments

Work done with Adam Francavilla (http://youthvoices.net/users/adam447)

An example of an archetype in videogame culture is Nathan Drake from the “Uncharted” series. Nathan Drake identifies as an archetypal hero because he faces adventures in search for knowledge and treasure while facing enemies trying to accomplish those very tasks, but by using hostile means.

Archetypes in Pop Culture

Discussion by: adi_kandula on Mon, 2016-06-06 10:03 with 2 comments

There are many archetypes in pop culture. In Harry Potter, Voldemort has a snake named Nagini. This is a part of the archetype that snakes are evil. Nagini helps Voldemort by spying on and biting people. She is a horcrux, and needs to be killed before Voldemort can be killed. In the Odyssey, Scylla is a creature who is sometime described as a snake. She fits the archetype that snakes are evil because she tries to stop Odysseus from returning home and kills six people. Then, Odysseus kills Scylla and continues on his journey home.

Reaction video

Discussion by: Mr. Jacobs on Mon, 2016-06-06 10:03 with 0 comments

External video: 

Students show their artwork along with faces reacting. They add sounds and music for a fuller experience.

Archetype in Pop Culture

Discussion by: caitlinmarie19 on Mon, 2016-06-06 09:24 with 1 comments
Harry Potter

I believe that Harry Potter and the Harry Potter series in general is an example of the 'the good always wins' archetype. In case you don't know (even though you should) Harry Potter is a very popular book and movie series that is mainly fantasy. In the novels, Harry and the rest of the good people are always in some kind of trouble, mostly to do with Voldemort. Some specific examples are: In Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry is in the chamber with the basilisk, and it seems like he is for sure going to die.

'The Sage' Archetype

Discussion by: meme2019 on Mon, 2016-06-06 08:30 with 0 comments

You see it everywhere - the Sage, a (usually) old, slightly grumpy man who preaches wisdom. In our society, what better example to use than Morgan Freeman? The beloved actor and African American rights activist who charms us all with his voice is a clear representation of the stereotypical sage, as shown in quotes such as:

"Learning how to be still,to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes radiance."

"But I can say that life is good to me. Has been and is good. So I think my task is to be good to it. So how do you be good to life? You live it."

Archetype

Discussion by: tina188 on Mon, 2016-06-06 08:06 with 0 comments

The mentor archetype is a character who is more experienced than others and is able to provide them with knowledge and wisdom. They are usually much older than the hero and teach them life lessons or skills. Gandalf, from the “Lord of the Rings,” fits the mentor archetype.