All posts

Coming of Age and Angst Teenager Archetype

Discussion by: Katie J. on Mon, 2016-06-06 07:20 with 4 comments

Kylie Jenner appears on the popular reality tv show, Keeping Up With The Kardashians. She is also a beauty icon with her big lips and makeup, specifically with her lip kit. The type of archetype that defines her the best is “coming of age” because everyone has been fixated on Kylie ever since she was little, and even more so now that she is an adult. “I’m 16 and still wanna be a kid sometimes” Kylie once commented on her growing up. Kylie also has everything along with her fame and fortune so she can be seen as someone who is way above the average person.

Archetype of Fiona from Shrek

Discussion by: eaglej19 on Sun, 2016-06-05 22:47 with 0 comments

Today I'm piking out an archetyped character from the movie Shrek. For those of you who don't know, Shrek i9s a movie about the quest of a hero trying to save a cursed damsel stuck in a castle guarded by a dragon (very, very simplified version. The person I'm going to talk about is Fiona, the damsel cursed (spoiler alert) to turn ugly at night. She has a very common archetype, the damsel in distress who gets or shows more skills and abilities until the "damsel" is often regarded by the audience to be on the same level as the hero, if not higher.

Archetype of Fiona from Shrek

Archetype

Discussion by: MarenH2 on Sun, 2016-06-05 22:44 with 0 comments

In the book series Harry Potter, Dumbledore fits the archetype the wise old mentor. He guides Harry, Ron and Hermione through their adventures and helps them by giving the advice even if at times it is vague. He pulls strings from behind the scenes to make everything that takes place in the books happen. He helps Hermione and Harry save Buckbeak. He shows up at Harry's trial to defend him, he helps rescue the fallen Harry after his encounter with Voldemort in the first book and much more. Dumbledore is a perfect example of a wise old mentor.

Archetypes

Discussion by: SKadrofske on Sun, 2016-06-05 22:01 with 2 comments

In the 1979 blockbuster film, Star Wars: A New Hope, viewers find themselves deeply immersed in the life of young Luke Skywalker, who is leading a normal life on the desert planet of Tatooine, selling and fixing up droids with his Uncle Owen. However, after an important droid, R2-D2, gets in the hands of Luke and his uncle, things quickly turn interesting for Luke. When R2 makes contact with Obi-Wan Kenobi, Luke is brought into contact with one of the few remaining Jedi in the galaxy.

Probably Our Favorite Character In Every Story

Discussion by: eric_yu2001 on Sun, 2016-06-05 20:38 with 0 comments

There has been a type of archetype in literature that I'm sure we are all greatly fond of. It creates humor, emotion and spirit as we read the story, and we become very emotional about that character. The archetype I'm talking about is actually pinpointed to a single (or two) character, and he is usually the one that is always different from the others. You see, literature's element of conflict has the characters mainly being serious and worrying about one certain situation.

Mad Scientist Archetype

Discussion by: Roan522 on Sun, 2016-06-05 19:59 with 5 comments

When you think of a mad scientist, you may think of someone mixing chemicals in his ivory tower. Now obviously, this is a completely fictional archetype, but it is based on the somewhat detached, intelligent scientist, an archetype which is in fact rather common. Bill Nye, though not his science guy persona, is a textbook example of a real-life “Mad Scientist”. The things that he says, though completely right, are so far from the polite, politically correct statements coming from most prominent liberals that it is both shocking and refreshing.

Archetypes

Discussion by: AEB_19 on Sun, 2016-06-05 16:58 with 0 comments

Yoda from Star Wars fulfills the archetype of the wise old man. Star Wars is a movie and comic book series in which two sides fight against each other throughout the galaxy. Yoda qualifies for this archetype because he gives people guidance and knowledge to younger people. I think Yoda is like the man pushing the cart in O Brother, Where Art Thou because he is old and gives knowledge to people.

Solar’s Future (Rough Draft of Argumentative Paper on Solar Energy)

Discussion by: connorc on Sat, 2016-06-04 10:06 with 1 comments

Solar energy should be implemented on a widespread basis because it saves money, reduces air pollution, and because it’s renewable.

Solar energy should be implemented on a widespread basis because it saves money. For example, a Californian building company called Lennar, Corp. has begun installing solar panels on all of the houses it builds, including ones in California, Colorado, and Nevada. One homeowner states, “Any savings, especially when buying a new house, is huge. Twenty percent off our electricity bill is a discount we will get forever.” (Hudson).

How can a book change my life?

Discussion by: justinrodriguez on Fri, 2016-06-03 15:10 with 0 comments

I just started reading the book “the Omnivore’s Dilemma” by “Michael Pollan, and my first impression is how can this book change my life?

One question I have is how can this book make people lose weight? What I want the author to explain is how the book changes the way people think? This is important because he said the book has made people aware of how their food choices affect the environment and animals.

archetype

Discussion by: allyschloss on Fri, 2016-06-03 11:34 with 0 comments

In the movie sleeping beauty the archetype of the damsel in distress shows up. Prince Aurora is cursed to die on her 16th birthday but instead she falls into a deep sleep that can only be lifted by a prince. This an example of damsel in distress because Aurora can only be awoken if her beloved prince phillip comes saves her.

No more homework in schools!

Discussion by: iparker on Fri, 2016-06-03 11:29 with 3 comments

For all the schools that I know have homework, I don't think they should.

When schools give kids homework they are stressing kids out by giving them more work to do at home. Even when it's a nice day outside they can't even go outside because they have to stay in and do their homework. Some kids even faint because they get so worked up over doing homework.

Also some kids don't even go to school because of that. So I don't think that we should be getting homework inside of our schools because it id hurting a lot of kids and their lives.

Is Bernie Sanders as good as he sounds?

Discussion by: armando on Fri, 2016-06-03 11:08 with 9 comments

He is a nice guy, but he could do more to help us.

Do you agree or not?

Well, he is good, but I feel bad for him because when he was young, a fire took the lives of his mom and dad. So he was alone with his brother and sister, but he did not want to give up. What he did was try to help people that don't get enough money or education.

That's why I give him two thumbs up, and I hope you all voted for him and not Hillary because she is secretly the girl version of Donald Trump.

Please leave a comment below about what you think.

Black ops 3 review

Discussion by: vlopez on Fri, 2016-06-03 09:36 with 2 comments

External video: 

See video

Black ops 3, the brand new add on to the call of duty games. It adds in a lot new abilities and movement ideas.

First multiplayer, they added new people that you play as like Ruin or Firebreak who every one has a weapon and a ability. Then there the new movement. The add-on for AW movement now you can wall run slide and other. Also they also added the Black market where you get 54I contraband like clothes for you player or a weapon even.

The Raven in Regular English

Discussion by: tewilliams on Fri, 2016-06-03 01:43 with 0 comments

The Raven in Regular English

This one night, I was up thinking, I was really sad
Because of
My eyes were heavy, almost slumpt, there was something that knocked
Someone knocking at my room door
“Who is that?” I said to myself, “knocking at my room door-
Only knocked and no one’s there”

Now I remember it was cold in December
And all of the burning wood ash was on my floor
I can’t wait for tomorrow,
From the books of incoming sadness, sadness for my girl Lenore
The only girl that the angels named Lenore
Dosen’t mean nothing anymore

Then the curtains started moving

Proper Ebonics

Discussion by: tewilliams on Thu, 2016-06-02 21:48 with 0 comments

Have you ever wondered of the type of style or dialect that is spoken around you? Around school? Your family? Your community? Currently reading Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston where throughout her book she code switches the text from standard English to Ebonics or known as African American Vernacular English (AAVE), a dialect used mostly of African American culture.

Middle Eastern Refugees or ISIS Militants?

Discussion by: moffettn19 on Thu, 2016-06-02 16:43 with 3 comments

Now I know what some are thinking just by the title...

THIS KID IS JUST ANOTHER TRUMP SUPPORTER!

You are absolutely correct.

Or maybe: "He was just thrown into the political world by his parents, and now he hates Muslims."

Well, you are wrong 100% wrong.

If you read all the way through until the end I'll explain my argument.

My argument starts with the refugees fleeing from Syria, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, and, I believe, some parts of Turkey at this point.

Raise your voice

Discussion by: madisonN on Thu, 2016-06-02 14:31 with 0 comments

I decided for my English class's raise your voice assignment to write about awareness for anxiety. I chose to do A picture and some words to show the emotions that some people dealing with anxiety go through .