Animated Introductions for ELLs
Begin by creating an account at www.powtoon.com if you don't already have one. Once you are logged in, you can choose a theme and format and begin inserting text and images. Use the criteria and guiding questions below to create your animated introduction.
For your planning process, create a T-chart in your journals and write TEXT on the left side and MEDIA on the right hand side. Respond to the guiding questions below in the TEXT column. In the MEDIA column, consider which of the following media you have available:
- google earth map
- music track
- image from web/photo
After you have finished your planning sheet, log on to www.powtoon.com and begin creating your presentation. If you are unfamiliar with this animation software, explore the tutorials available on the website while your are designing your animated introduction.
Include information from as many of the following categories as possible!
Basic Personal Information
- Name, age
- Native country, native language
- Introduce your parents, guardians, and siblings using words and images. Make sure to describe each person in a unique way.
- What are your warmest, or happiest, memories from your native country? Include as much detail as possible!
- What is the biggest problem in your native country? What is one thing you could change?
Life in the Native Country versus America
- Describe the differences between living in these two places (house, occupation, school, family members at home)
- How do you feel about living in New York (instead of your native country)?
- How did you immigrate?
- Did you take a train, bus, plane, etc.? Who accompanied you? What is your strongest memory from immigrating?
- Include a map, text/voiceover, and images.
- What hobbies do you have?
- Can you include an image or video clip of your talent?
Goals for the Future
- What career interests you?
- Do you want to attend college?
- Where would you like to live when you grow up?
- Do you want a family? How many children?
- What other dreams do you have?
Include a personal piece of poetry (words and images). Voiceover optional.
Include images/text to describe your:
- favorite musician/band
- movie/tv show
- If you were president, what would you do?
- If you could meet one person from history, who would it be?
- If you could study any subject, what would you like to learn more about?
- If you could visit one place, where would you go?
Here's a powerpoint that gives some tips on working in powtoon:
Here's an example of a animated introduction: