Vignettes from "Sold"

Write a response to "Lucky to be with Habib" and "One of Them" or another vignette from Sold, by Patricia McCormick. Too many children are abused by adults – physically, emotionally and sometimes sexually. What happens to girls like Lakshmi, the girl in this vignette, or boys and girls that are abused in the U.S.? Life is full of suffering. It is also full of joy. So what does it all mean? Why do some people suffer more than others? How do people go on and rebuild their lives after something horrible happens to them?

Step One of Three: Read and Annotate "Lucky to be with Habib" and "One of Them"

"Lucky to be with Habib"

"One of Them"

"The Danger of Protection"

Step Two of Three: Read these reflections, then write a response, and post it on Youth Voices.

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit a response to these vignette that follows this guide, World Connections. Then post your response as a discussion on Youth Voices.

Reading the vignettes in Soldwe feel heartbroken for Lakshmi. What makes this scene especially sad is that such a tragic moment has happened to a sweet and innocent girl. Lakshmi’s life was full of dreams for her family and her future. She was a dutiful daughter who enjoyed the simple pleasures of popcorn with her mother on a rainy night, and taking care of her baby brother.

However, in this moment with Habib, her innocence and her childhood are taken away from her. Indeed for now, her goodness has been defeated.

What also makes this moment so sad is the knowledge that, all around the world, this kind of abuse happens all the time. Maybe Lakshmi’s case is a little dramatic. After all, most children are not trafficked and sold into sexual slavery. But, many children are abused by adults – physically, emotionally and sometimes sexually. This abuse happens in Nepal, France, the Dominican Republic, and right here in New York. It is a global problem.

What happens to girls like Lakshmi, or boys and girls that are abused right here in the U.S.? And aside from abuse, all kinds of tragedies happen to good people all the time. Wonderful people get sick with cancer. People die in car accidents. Families get separated due to divorce. Life is full of suffering. It is also full of joy.

So what does it all mean? Why do some people suffer more than others? How do people go on and rebuild their lives after something horrible happens to them?

We'll never have the answers to these questions. We do know, however, that human beings have the capacity to survive almost anything. In fact, we don’t only survive, we thrive. We have all met amazing people who have overcome huge obstacles. These people remind us, when we have problems, that, in the end, I will be okay, and there is no problem too great to be lessened.

What do you all think?

Use the guide, World Connections to respond to these reflections.

Step Three of Three: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' “Lucky to be with Habib” and "One of Them" discussion posts using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.