Living Up The Street: Narrative Recollections, by Gary Soto - Part 2 (pp. 33-62)

Read and annotate chapters 5-9. Play Quizlet. Record on VoiceThread. Engage others on Youth Voices. Read about Gary Soto. Module Link.

Also See: Part 1 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5

Step One of Six: Read, Listen to, and Annotate the chapters 5-9 of Living Up The Street

Click on the play buttons to listen to the audio for chapters 5-9 of Living Up The Street, narrated by Robert Ramirez. Pause and annotate using the NowComment version of Living Up The Street in the blue frame below.

How to annotate on the text embedded below (while listening and pausing):

Log into NowComment, or Log into Gmail first, then sign in with Google.

Make notes on sentences

• identify key sentences and say why they are important
  • guess at, then find definitions for words you don't know
  • point to words that this author uses frequently, and explain why s/he does this

Make notes on a paragraph

• a part that you think is particularly memorable, and explain why
  • dialogue that shows something significant about the characters
  • something that confuses you. Say what you do understand, then explain what's still not clear.

Make notes on the writer's craft

• choose a specific example, and identify the literary technique used.
  • select a sentence or a paragraph, and explain how these capture the main themes of this text.
  • point out a sentence that stands out to you—for whatever reason—and explain why.

This is an example of a thoughtful comment.

Step Two of Six: Play games with these flashcards, and write stories in your journal about reading Living Up The Street

Step Three of Six: Read Important Passages from Chapters 5-9 Aloud

Let's read an important section of Living Up the Street - Part 2 (pp. 33-61) aloud. Record yourself reading pages in this green-framed VoiceThread. (You will need to log in. You can register if you don't have an account, or ask your teacher.) You should practice first. Also listen to the other recordings on each page.

Step Four of Six: Use Literature Guides to answer one or two of these questions.

Use a Google Doc to compose, share and get comments from peers, revise, proofread, and edit an essay that follows one of the suggested guides. Then post your literary essay as a discussion on Youth Voices.

1. Chapter 5 - "Deceit": How is fifth grade an odd year for Gary? How does Gary deceive his mother? Use either Tracking the Characters or Character Traits and Relationships.

2. Chapter 6 - "Catholics": What is ironic (contradictory, puzzling, inconsistent) about Sister Marie's concern for the children of Biafra? Use either Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating or Character Traits and Relationships to talk about Gary's experiences with Sister Marie.

3. Chapter 7 - "The Beauty Contest": Why does Gary think his younger brother might have a chance of winning the beauty contest? How do the mothers respond when the winners are announced? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to talk about the beauty contest and Gary's family.

4. Chapter 8 - "Baseball in April": How does Rick perform during baseball tryouts? Why does Rick hold back a smile during baseball tryouts? What role does Manuel assume in the boys' lives? Why does Gary allow the ball to hit him? Use either World Connections or Questioning and Speculating or Social Media Connections to talk about how Gary's and his brother's experiences with baseball.

5. Chapter 9 - "Fear": How does Frankie react when Gary describes the Sotos' Thanksgiving dinner? Why do the children feel ashamed when Mr. Koligian manhandles Frankie? Use either Tracking the Themes / Seguimiento de los Temas or Questioning and Speculating or Character Traits and Relationships to talk about Gary's feelings about Frankie.

Step Five of Six: Have conversations by posting comments and replies.

Comment on other students' "Living Up The Street - Part 2 (pp. 33-62)" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guides: Agree/Disagree Response or General Discussion Response.

Step Six of Six: Do some research on baseball and Mexican-Americans in the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s by annotating the article copied below with Hypothes.is. Then post new comments and replies on discussions about "Living Up The Street Part 2 (pp. 33-62)"

While reading this article from KCET a T.V. station in Los Angeles, "Working to Play, Playing to Work: Mexican American Baseball and Labor in Southern California," March 6, 2014, pause frequently and annotate with Hypothes.is about what you are learning about baseball and labor in communities like Gary's. Write about your annotations, using either Adding a quotation... or Quoting a speech.... Use these notes to add new comments on other students' "Living Up The Street - Part 2 (pp 33-62)" discussion posts (literary essays) using the Commenting Guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment.

00012408.jpg

Working to Play, Playing to Work: Mexican American Baseball and Labor in Southern California

Work you will have: 

1. Five links to your five most thoughtful comments on NowComment. (Evidence of 20 total.)

2. Links to journal entries talking about the words you are learning by playing the Quizlet games to review vocabulary and your comprehension of the text.

3. A link to the page in a VoiceThread where you have recorded your reading of an important passage from pp. 33-62.

4. A link to your discussion post on Youth Voices that is your first response to this part of the book, answering one or two of the five sets of questions in this mission.

5. A link to your comment on another student's discussion post.

6. A link to your comment on Youth Voices that includes quotations from your reading (and annotating) about Mexican-Americans and baseball in the 20's, 30's, and 40's.

Badges: