String Games: Gateway to Keyboarding and Creativity

Renaissance High School students teach string games at Radical Craft night @MAH

Playing games with string is a human cultural universal. This ancient art form is surprisingly helpful in developing both the manual dexterity and strength needed for computer keyboarding. The approach I use for teaching string games to groups also provides a helpful practice ground for some of life's essential skills: creativity, resilience, cooperation, and storytelling.

My first thought for a title for this thread was:

String games, finger calisthenics, and computer keyboarding: media magic for tradigital storytelling

I'm gearing up for a "Teachers Teaching Teachers" session on string games, an experiment to see if a video conference can be an effective forum to teach string games.

The process a group goes through in learning string games can be a marvelous demonstration of Connected Learning http://connectedlearning.tv/katie-salen-making-learning-irresistible-6-p... , since a few students will learn quickly, and so I ask them to teach one-on-one, and by the third go 'round, we're usually up to more than half the class knowing the figure, and everyone has a personal teacher. When I had a second grade classroom for six weeks last year, we used "We're All Teachers In This Classroom" as our motto.

I just encountered the work of James Murphy, a Native American teacher in New York, who developed a system to use string games to teach high school algebra. Fascinating....will be posting more soon. His Web site is http://www.torusflex.com/

Elaborating this resource

fmindlin's picture
Submitted by fmindlin on Sun, 2012-06-10 20:10.

Hoping to add more material to this resource, but I'm not sure of the best format. Just enabled comments, does that help?