2014 Youth Voices Summer Program: Connected Learning with the New York City Writing Project at Lehman College, July 7 - 24, 2014

Google+ Community | Scratch Studio | Open Badges | Highlights | NWP 2014 AM Workshop

Find the discussion posts and comments by our students by following the links on their profile pages.

A

Aldin

Alexandria

Arturo

C

Christy Kingham

G

Gabrielle Utting

Glencora Roberts

H

Halimat

I

Isaac

J

Jennifer

Jim Nine

Jose

Julie Masarof

Junilka

K

Kadeisha

Kenny

L

Laura

Louise Bauso

M

Marcus

Marilyn

Michael H

Michael R

N

Nashaly

P

Paul Allison

R

Raven Fenner

S

Saul

Seyanna

Daily Agendas

Day 12 - July 24th

Day 12 Agenda

8:30-9:30- Surveys and Reflections

1. Students: Please take this post-program surveyhttps://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YouthVoicesPost

Teachers: Please write on our Google+ Community in response to this post about Connected Learning.

2. Go on Google + for Commenting & Connecting: Reflections in the Google+ Community - "Final Reflections" This should be a lengthy entry!

What's one thing you want to remember from the Youth Voices Summer Program?
Which students would you like to recognize, and what do you wnat to thank them for?

What badge did you make? How did it represent something important for you this summer?
What badges did you apply for or do you plan to apply for? What was important for you about the activities represented by those badges?

How did you work this summer in ways that were different than in school?
How might you bring some of your experiences from this summer back to school?

Now what are you noticing?
Now what do are some of your dreams that you want to make come true?
Now what connections to ideas and people are you making?
Now what awesome things do you want to do?

9:30-12:00

Roundtable Discussions:  You will go to room 86 with your writing group for about thirty minutes.  We will let you know your time as the day gets rolling. If you know you have a visitor coming, let us know to help organize the timing. For the discussion, you will use the reflection questions from the Google + final reflection to guide you. Paul or Christy will be there, as well! It is a discussion and share-out of your work and experience, not a formal presentation.

9:30 - 12:00 When you are not in Roundtable:

*Finish your Google + Reflection

*Select one discussion/post from Youth Voices you feel most proud of. Edit it to add "Summer 2014" in the "Keyword" section.

*Badges for this Summer

Apply for Badges By Us & 4 US - http://www.youthvoices.net/badgessummer2014

Apply for 1 , 2 or more Open Badges

Give feedback and recognition by issuing badges to each other

Using the "Something I wish you knew guide...", write a Letter to a Past, Present, Future Teacher, Peer, Parent, Colleague about your work this summer and what it represents for you. (youthvoices.net/lettersummer2014) Post this letter as a Discussion on Youth Voices in the "Letters to... " Channel.

GO DEEPER with your research

Find articles of more complexity. Upload them into the Youth Voices Crocodoc folder and annotate them.
Find thoughtful/scholarly videos (e.g. TED talks) or podcasts (e.g. NPR) about your inquiry, and upload one into Popcorn. Watch, and begin to add pop-ups (like annotating a text.) 

Reclaiming Your Topic - Follow the steps here: youthvoices.net/reclaim and post one more time about your inquiry

12:00-1:00  Gather for, lunch, final celebrations and BronxNet 2.0 Viewing

Day 11 – July 23rd 

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration

2. 9:30 – 10:00 Reflection & Self-Assessment: Google Hangout or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.

• What have you been noticing? 
  • What dreams are you making come true? 
  • What connections are you making with people and ideas? 
  • What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 10:00 - 10:15  Community Play

4. 10:15 - 10:30 Break

5. 10:30 - 12:40 Self-Directed Projects

• Finish and revise work

• Badges for this Summer

• Using the "Something I wish you knew guide...", write a Letter to a Past, Present, Future Teacher, Peer, Parent, Colleague about your work this summer and what it represents for you. (youthvoices.net/lettersummer2014) Post this letter as a Discussion on Youth Voices in the "Letters to... " Channel.
  • Apply for 1 , 2 or more Open Badges, link to your letter that follows the "Something I wish you knew guide..." Copy from that letter to describe that work and say what you might have done differently.
  • Give feedback and recognition by issuing badges to each other.

6.  12:50 - 1:00 Commenting & Connecting

Comment on our Google+ community under "Day 9" Reply to each others' comments.

1:00 - 1:30 Teachers Lunch

1:30 - 3:00 What are your next steps?  Assumptions Workshop and Work Together

Teachers Teaching Teachers, Wednesday, July 23rd, 9PM Eastern/6PM Pacific - Guests Marcus, Alex, Grace Raffaele, Karen Fasimpaur

;

Day 10 July 11th

2. 9:30 - 10:00 Brainstorming for Youth Voices Summer Program Badges

What have you done? What have you done that could be turned into a badge? 

Pairs first, then fours, then whole group.

10:00- 12:00- Guests from the New York City Writing Project's Invitational Summer Institute

3. 10:00-10:15 Split into two groups and quick introductions (sit teacher-student-teacher-student…)

Room 86 (Paul and Jen)

Room 81 (Christy and Priscilla)

From YV:

Saul

Jose

Louise

Michael H

Isaac

Julie

Halimat

Marilyn

Raven

Alex

Junilka

From YV:

Michael R.

Kenny

Jennifer

Gabrielle

Seyenna

Marcus

Jim

Arturo

Laura

Khadijah

Nashly

Cora

4. 10:00-10:15/30

• Intro to our purpose for today:  “I wish you knew….” We’ve been working on writing and connecting in so many ways.  Today we want to think about our lens as teachers and students- sharing with each other and our future students and teachers what we wish they knew about teaching and learning. Our way in to this will be through an interview like conversation, but first let’s warm up with a free write.

• Focused Free Write- 5 minutes.  Your audience is anyone you wish you could tell something about teaching and learning.  Anything that jumps into your mind now? Let’s write about it for a few minutes to get warmed up...

• Modelling 3 Person Interviews:  Paul and Jen with a student, Christy and Priscilla with a student.  

• Ask what they noticed about the interviews

• Pair off into threes- one student per three.

5. 10:30-11:30 3 Person Interview Protocol:

• 3 people...each goes through the process

• One asks questions

• One takes notes

• One is being interviewed

• The interviewer repeats back what they heard

• The note-taker gives the notes to the person being interviewed

• Try for no more than 7 minutes per person

Questions to consider as you interview: 

• What do you wish your teachers knew about you as a learner?

• What do you wish your students knew? Your colleagues?

• What is a take away from this summer you think teachers should try?

• Can you think of a moment this summer that you pushed yourself even if it felt a little uncomfortable? Tell me that story..

• Can you think of a moment you took a risk while working this summer?

• Tell me about another person in this program who made you think, what did they do or say?

6. 11:30-12:00 Share out and brainstorm - inspiration for next steps to turn this into a writing piece. YV will put on Youth Voices.

7. 12:00-12:45 Finish Creating Badges  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XFzfzInvbSXk2k-9bdWQFK9BIisZVUCz95eiLOV6lMI/edit?usp=sharing

8. 12:45- 1:00 Commenting & Connecting

Comment on our Google+ community under "Day 10" Reply to each others' comments.

Day 9 – July 21st 

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What connections are you making with people and ideas? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 10:00- 10:30 Publishing completion: Finishing the Read-around

4. 10:30 – 10:45 Break

5. 10:45- 12:45 What’s next for you?

Thursday will be a celebration and publishing with family invited.  Tomorrow we meet with other teachers doing similar work...what do you want to jump into? Badging? Going Deeper with yoru research? Make something that you will be proud of!

Choose from this menu:

1. Finish something that is incomplete.
  2. Comment and Reply on a discussion post by someone in your group ... and beyond your group.
  3. GO DEEPER with your research
    • Find articles of more complexity. Upload them into the Now Comment folder and annotate them.
    • Find thoughtful/scholarly videos (e.g. TED talks) or podcasts (e.g. NPR) about your inquiry, annotate on a google doc or a video annotation tool (if you already know how to use one, or want to experiment: Popcorn is a great tool for this)
  4. More complex comments on Youth Voices - See this guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment
  5. Make another badge:

6. 12:45- 1:00 Commenting & Connecting

1:00 - 1:30 Teachers Lunch

1:30 - 3:00 Gooru Workshop with Erin Adams via Hangout on Air at 2PM

1. Using Gooru for creating units of study for students
  2. Collaborative work on Children's Immigration Crisis
  3. Possibilities of a Youth Vocies Library

Day 8 - July 17

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration (Badge work if you’d like)

2. 9:30 – 10:00 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  

Freewrite then add to your "My Journal" page or try a google hangout with someone you haven’t hung out with.

• What have you been noticing?
  • What dreams are you making come true?
  • What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 10:00 – 10:15 Community Building 

4. 10:15 – 10:30 Break

5. 10:30 – 11:45 Self-Directed Projects

Choose from this menu:

1. Finish a discussion post about the first article you annotated for you inquiry question.
  3. GO DEEPER with your research
  4. More comments on Youth Voices - See this guide: Quoting a Source in a Comment
  5. Finish Badges

6. 11:45 - 12:00 Commenting & Connecting

Comment on our Google+ community under "Week 2 Reflections." Reply to each others' comments.

7. 12:00 – 1:00 Week 2 Readaround: Read something you have written this week or last week.

ANYTHING - freewrite, comment, as short or as long as you want.

Day 7 – July 16th 

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: 

2. 9:30 – 10:15 Reflection & Self-Assessment: 

Try it as a Google Hangout! or Freewrite on your "My Journal" page.

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome?

3. 10:15 – 10:30 Community Building: Rocks-Paper-Scissors

4. 10:30 – 10:45 Break

5. 10:45 – 12:45 Badges and You

Guest Facilitator: Vanessa Gennarelli - Learning Lead at Peer-to-Peer Universtity.

6. 12:15 – 1:00 Commenting & Connecting: Reflections in the Google+

Badges! 
What do you understand about open badges now?
How do you make a badge on P2PU?
What's important to know about making badges?
Now what kinds of badges can you imagine making for yourself and for each other for this summer program?  

1:00- 1:30 Teacher Break

1:30- 1:45 Talk with Vanessa about Badges

1:45- 2:40  Go to “further reading” on the Mozilla site: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Badges Upload one that speaks to you on NowComment. Annotate, share, check out each other’s work and let's talk.

2:40- 3:00 Discussion and reflection. What implications do Open Badges this have for your school or classroom?

Day 6 - July 15th

1. 8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: 

Two log-ins/connections to do before 9:30:

• Connect Google+ Hangouts on Air with your YouTube account using a telephone.
  • In email, search for invitation to NowComment and join. 

2. 9:30 – 10:15 Journaling on paper, then online:  

• Freewrite on paper
  • Readers 
  • Type on "My Journal" page
  • OR Do a Hangout on Air with a partner

What have you been noticing? 
What dreams are you making come true? 
What are you doing that's awesome? 

3. 10:15 - 10:30 Break

4. 10:30- 12:30 Self-Directed Research on Your Question

4.1 Find a Wikipedia article, news item or blog post about your question: http://youthvoices.net/wikipedia | http://youthvoices.net/news | http://youthvoices.net/blogs

4.2 Copy and Upload it into the Youth Voiecs group att http://NowCommet.com. Make it Public.

4.3 Read and annotate every paragraph with questions, opinions, reactions.

4.4 In a Doc, write, using the Basic Non-FictionWikipedia Response Guide, then Post your writing as a Discussion. http://youthvoices.net/BasicNonFiction http://youthvoices.net/wikipediaresponse

5. 12:45-1:00 Commenting and Connecting in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program Google+ Community

Day 5 - July 14th

8:45-9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration (well, maybe not so open today)

We have a special guest today, Shantanu Saha, a technology teacher from The Baccalaureate School for Global Education. To prepare for Shantanu's work with us, we would like you to get famaliar with Scratch during “Open Exploration.”

9:30-9:50 Journaling- use one of these questions or just write.

• What have you been noticing?
  • What dreams are you making come true?
  • What are you making that's awesome?

9:30-9:40- on paper
9:40-9:50  online 

9:50-10:05 Community Building: Freeze-Frame Sculpture

As a group, design a still scene or a short series of still scenes that show your subject so that others will be able to identify it from what you show.

You will be asked to represent ONE of your Inquiry Questions as a group.
You need to decide, as a group, what specific topic you will portray.

A few musts: 

• Your statue/s must be related to one of your topics
  • No sounds… you are a statue or short series of statues
  • Everyone must have a part in the creation
  • You have 5 minutes to plan this

Freeze-Frame Sculpture Slide Show

10:05-10:30 Commenting and Connecting: Exploring Youth Voices

• Comment on your group members' Discussions from Thursday, using guides: /generalresponse or /agreedisagree
  • Processing: What was it like to use the guides, what did you find?

10:30-10:45 Break

10:45-11:45  Learning Scratch with Shantanu Saha 

• Compare flawed Scratch projects with ones that work and Re-mix
  • Follow Step-by-Step Instructions for The Fable http://youthvoices.net/scratch1
  • Process: What's easy about Scratch? What's hard?

11:45-12:45  Challenge: Write a Dialogue on Scratch About Your Own Inquiry Question

• Who or what might be in this conversation?
  • What might they be talking about?
  • What might happen (like the thunder storm in the horse-bear fable)?
  • Be sure to end with The moral of this fable is:
  • When you have finished with this project, go to the embed code, add a link to your project page, then copy the code and paste it into another Discussion on Youth Voices. Also add this project to the Youth Voices Studio.

12:45-1:00   Commenting and Connecting in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program Google+ Community

1:00- 1:30 Teacher Break (Feel free to bring lunch with you to the afternoon session so you have more time to eat!)

1:30- 1:45 What is Annotating? NowComment?

1:45- 2:40 NowComment with Aspen Report: Learner at the Center of a Networked World

2:40- 3:00 Discussion and reflection. What implications does this have for your classroom, for using Youth Voices?

Day 4- July 10th

8:45-9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration

9:30-9:50 Journaling- use one of these questions or just write.

• What have you been noticing?
  • What dreams are you making come true?
  • What are you making that's awesome?

9:30-9:40- on paper
9:40-9:50   online or on video

9:50-10:00 Community Building- Group Photo!

10:00-10:45 Commenting and Connecting: Exploring Youth Voices

• Search for your topic on Youth Voices using keywords.
  • Comment on student posts, using guides: /generalresponse or /agreedisagree

10:45-11:00 Break

11:00-11:20  Whole Group: Where to take our Freewites?

Look at what you've written for your freewrite yesterday:

• Who could tell this "Story"? 
  • What do you hope to get across? What part of your freewrite will be in this piece?
  • What are possible formats/genres?

11:20-11:40  Meet with your small groups to brainstorm about what you will produce 

11:40-12:40  Challenge: Publish your first piece by the end of this hour!

12:40-1:00   Commenting and Connecting in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program Google+ Community

Day 3- July 9th

8:45-9:30- Breakfast and Open Exploration

9:30-9:50 Journaling- Use one of these questiosn or just write.

• What have you been noticing?
  • What dreams are you making come true?

9:50-10:00 Community Building - Microlab - Using new groups of four and the above questions.

10:00-10:30 Finish Profile, for now and comment-

• Add your 3 paragraph bio to your 6 word memoir Discussion (including code for audio embed /bio.
  • Comment on one other member of your new group's posts, using General Response Guide.

10:45-11:00 Break

11:00-11:45 - Freewriting to generate writing for an inquiry question /freewriting.

• Create a new Google Doc – Make your title your question.
  • Choose 2, 3 or 4 questions that seem to want to be together. Type these into the Google Doc.
  • We will Freewrite with Focused Questions together three times.
  • Make your title a Final Question (which may have changed some by now.
  • Share Doc with the other members of your new group.
  • Question Share Aloud

12:00-12:45 - Group Time: Read freewrites aloud, and active listen for each other in your new groups.

• What are you hearing?
  • Point to specific lines, phrases or words that you remember most.
  • What are you wondering about?

12:45 – 1:00 Commenting and Connecting in the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program Google+ Community

1-1:30 - Lunch

1:30-2:00 Preparing for a Hangout on Air - Teachers Teaching Teachers webcast. To what degree could there be more collaborative work for some amount of time?

2:00-3:00 Karen Fasimpaur will lead a discussion in a Google Hangout on Air.

Happy Summer Vibes!

+Karen Fasimpaur and I invite you to join us on Teachers Teaching Teachers at http://edtechtalk.com/ttt this Wednesday at 2:00 PM ET/11:00 AM PT.
We will be talking about how to connect on Youth Voices more carefully through online units/6-week courses/moocs...  Karen Fasimpaur -- who will help to facilitate our Hangout on Air on Wednesday -- did an amazing job of summarizing our thinking to this point. We need you to help us push this through to even more exciting connections this fall -- which starts in mid-August for some of us. Please go to Karen's post and write a response: http://www.k12opened.com/blog/archives/1582 Let us know what you are thinking! 

Day 2 – July 8, 2014

8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast and Open Exploration: What would you do if you were just sitting on a computer?

9:30 – 9:50 Reflection & Self-Assessment: 

In journals (10 minutes) What are you noticing? What are you connecting to- both people and ideas?
Volunteer Readers  (10 minutes- Video, audio or typing)  

9:50 – 10:00 Community Building: Line up in alphabetical order by first name. No talking, writing, hand symbols.

10:00 – 10: 30 10 Self/10 World Questions Intro   http://youthvoices.net/questions

Type in a new Doc. This will be your public, online journal.
Link this Doc on your Profile.
Choose ONE to explore further
Make a list of keywords to expand your search

10:30-10:45 Break

10:45-12:30 Self Directed Work

Continue with this morning's work

10 Self/10 World Continuation

Try something new

Commenting & Connecting: Exploring Youth Voices

Search for your topic on Youth Voices
Comment on student posts
Use the Commenting Guides  

Process 
What was your question? What did you find?
What was it like to read and comment?

Or go back to yesterday...

Three-Paragraph Bio http://youthvoices.net/bio

Write on paper, and then we’ll hear a line from each.
Type your bio into a Google Doc and share with pallison@ndssonline.orgckingham@me.com and one other.
Copy and paste your Bio onto it on your Youth Voices Profile page. 
(If there is time, record your Bio using audio.)

6 Word Memoir http://youthvoices.net/sixwords

EmbeddingTo embed your video- find it on one of these links. Next Open it. Then in google docs go to "file" and "embed this video" copy the embed code and paste it at the very top of your profile!

Video Profile1

More Videos 

12:30-1:00 Commenting & Connecting on Google +Community: Go to the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Community http://goo.gl/WBQ0bR and choose "Day 2 "

Day 1 – July 7, 2014

8:45 – 9:30 Breakfast, Logistics and Open Exploration: Activate a Google Apps account at http://email.ndssonline.org (See handout for your username and password.) 

MetroCards, BronxNet Internships, Permission Slips, Survey 

9:30 – 9:45 Reflection & Self-Assessment:  What have you been noticing? (Paper or Docs- check in regarding doc experience)

9:45 – 10:15 Community Building: Ball-Toss – Name Game

10:15 – 10:30 Break

10:30 – 12:30 Self-Directed Projects:

Intorduction to Centers: Models of Profiles and Instructions

Type your bio into a Google Doc and share with pallison@ndssonline.orgckingham@me.com and one other.

Embedding Video Profile1

More Videos 

12:30 – 1:00 Connecting & Reflecting: Go to the 2014 Youth Voices Summer Community http://goo.gl/WBQ0bR and choose "Day 1 - Multimedia Profile"

How do you communicate? What did you notice about the ways you communicated today?

Teachers: Google+ communites/Missions

1:00 - 1:30  Lunch 

1:30 - 1:45  Please reflect on the morning (on our Google+ Community 2014 Youth Voices Summer Program http://goo.gl/WBQ0bR)

What did you notice about yourself or the students?
What are you thinking related to the work we have begun?
What questions have come up for you?

1:45 - 1:55  Share - each person shares one thing

1:55 - 2:50  Missions Workshop

What are missions? Search, read and pull out a few that speak to you.
Share out.
Create your own mission.

2:50 - 3:00  Process as a group: What is Youth Voices? What are the possibilities here? How might this work within your own practice?