bilingual

The importance of a second language in todays society

The importance of learning a second language
Is learning a second language relevant in todays society?

Learning a second language is one of the most difficult things I've done in school; but there is a good reason for the strong emphasis that is put on acquiring this skill. One that benefits an individual and society at large.

Benefits of being bilingual

I am interested in this topic, because along with English, I know how to speak Urdu and read and write Arabic. There’s a lot of scientific studies that say that teaching your children more than one language can enhance their intelligence in some subjects, and I’ve never really known if that was true. Also, former spanish teachers have said that it’s usually easier for people who speak 2 or more languages to retain Spanish.

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/opinion/sunday/the-benefits-of-bilingu...

Are Bilinguals Smarter?

I recently read an interesting article by the New York Times on bilingualism and the effects is has on a persons brain. Recent studies have shown that bilingualism, especially that developed as a child, has a tendency to strengthen that person's mental capabilities more so than monolinguals. This is different from many theories that emerged in the 90's saying children growing up in a multilingual household would have interference from more than one language.