Change

What Can You do to Spark a Change?

Submitted by autumn_fall333 on Thu, 2014-02-27 13:10
Positive Role Models

“I relate to [my mothers’ and friends’] struggles and I aspire to their greatness (“Role Model Data,” 2014). Everyone has a role model… some people may not know it or even admit it, but every individual has someone they admire. We aspire to exhibit the characteristics of an individual, and these role models give us direction in seeking what we want and what we want to become. In order to receive and obtain accurate and genuine information about women's idols, I collected a wide range of data from supportive women and peers in my life.

How can a book change my life?

Submitted by justinrodriguez on Fri, 2016-06-03 15:10

I just started reading the book “the Omnivore’s Dilemma” by “Michael Pollan, and my first impression is how can this book change my life?

One question I have is how can this book make people lose weight? What I want the author to explain is how the book changes the way people think? This is important because he said the book has made people aware of how their food choices affect the environment and animals.

Is Donald Trump Really That Bad?

Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Wed, 2016-04-27 22:21

First off, I do NOT support Donald Trump. I think his actions and his plans for the "new America" is completely ignorant, and ignores the foundation of our country as a whole. This thread is mainly to raise arguments about the true reasons of Donald Trump's success so far in the Republican party.

Climate change

Submitted by NikoH on Wed, 2016-04-20 10:42

The research problem I want to address is climate change and global warming. It’s interesting to address because it is current and it is happening right now, our generation needs to change now. It is destroying the earth with the greenhouse effect and making the earth hotter. If we don’t change now we will destroy the earth with the way we are going right now. I can add my opinion my one voice that might change someone else's mind about climate change and make a difference.

Youth Voices has completely lost purpose.

Submitted by eric_yu2001 on Thu, 2016-03-17 20:27

I love this website, and a small handful of people do too. As a new comer to the website, I began pouring economic and social beliefs into this society as a purpose to make a change. Although this change will not be big, it will mean something to the young and fresh minds reading this on their phones and laptops. I always have been convinced by my teacher's actions that it was basically a site to post assignments and projects. And as far as I am disappointed, this site is nothing but that.

Voice

Submitted by nikki39987 on Wed, 2016-03-16 08:11

My voice — you know, the one in my head — has changed quite a bit over the years. I’m almost eighteen, so it’s crazy to think about how much I’ve been through and how it would change my voice. When I was under the age of ten, I remember being so curious and interested in things that I wouldn’t even think about now. I was one of those weird kids that let bugs crawl all over my hands, wondering what life was like for something so small, and thought it was the coolest thing.

The Voice of a Leader

Submitted by EKadrofske16 on Fri, 2016-03-04 09:11

The Voice of a Leader

The Difference You Can Make

Submitted by arhoton on Wed, 2016-01-06 11:25

“We only have what we give.” is a quote said by Isabel Allende, and it is true, especially in times of crisis. Whether those crises be personal or world wide, we should help when possible. I know that often times, we think of the bad in human nature, but what of the good? When one comforts a real friend, doesn't that friend also help comfort that person as well? This is not to say that every kindness is repaid in kindness, but people are people, and life is dificult. All humans have an effect on life, even in nature. So, why not help out in the Syrian Refugee Crisis?

Research

Submitted by LightCYC on Fri, 2015-12-11 09:06

When I first started to research articles for my topic, I wasn’t sure how at first. I used Google to help me find some basic information. Although I found a couple that would be useful, it didn’t help. That was, until I started to use some of the research databases that were provided by the school. To my surprise, I found so many articles based off of my topic. Two of the articles that I found and were mentioned in my annotated bibliography were how facial technology might be illegal, and how encrypted messaging apps and SMS are might be monitored by the government.

Gender Stereotypes about Men in Dance

Submitted by mioliver on Mon, 2015-10-12 14:22
Men in Dance

We are beginning work on a short video story about Alec M., a male dancer at our school. As the first male co-president of Dance Company, he is changing the idea of dance being purely a female-dominated activity. There are other males that participate in dance at Judge, but never before has there been a male co-president. Alec is leading the way for other boys who are as comitted to dance as he is.

Gender Stereotypes- Men in Dance

Submitted by cschafer on Mon, 2015-10-12 14:22

Alec, a male dancer at Judge, a private school in Utah, is the first co-president of the school's Dance Company. He is breaking down, and beating the gender stereotypes associtated with dance. He trained in Tae Kwon Do, giving him not only the flexibility need for dance, but the strenght and focus. He has defeated the stereotypes, and continues to shock us all with his mesmerizing choreography and movement. Alec truly has broken barriers by leading Judge (a dance famous school) and its Dance Company by showing them all a knew and exciting way of dance.

Gentrification in Oakland, CA

Submitted by aurbieta on Fri, 2015-05-29 13:24

Gentrification is happening around Oakland; it has been noticed, not just by me but other people as well. I interviewed Erik Ortega and he said, he witnessed gentrification in certain parts of Oakland such as the deeper side of East Oakland and West Oakland.

Because my teacher made me.

Submitted by fmichael on Fri, 2015-05-01 17:50

So today I had the chance to sit down and do an interview with an old neighbor by the name of Kim Jenson 39 year old who has lived in Oakland California for the last 37 years of her life and plans on never leaving either. I asked her a couple of questions today such as why she decided to live in Oakland and her response was pretty much she didn't have a choice since she was only 2 when her family moved to America from China.

Stand Up, Speak Out

Submitted by unconventionallyjade on Wed, 2015-04-29 20:04

The recent events occurring in Baltimore have had me deep in thought about my own experiences speaking out against the blatant racial injustices happening in this country.  January 14th, 2015 a tragedy occurred in my family.  My cousin, Marcus Golden, was fatally shot by the St. Paul police in a situation that did not have to end that way.  We see these stories of young black men and women being unjustifiably murdered by the police, but to us they are just stories.

Education in America

Submitted by mravarino on Sun, 2015-03-22 22:25
http://www.clipartpanda.com/categories/higher-education-clipart

It is true that in recent years America has been falling behind in education. Many countries like China, Japan, Finland and Switzerland are far ahead of America in means of educating their youth. America has tried countless times to reform the system in America. The No Child Left Behind Act, passed in 2001 was meant to hold teachers accountable for their student’s education. At the end of each school year a test would be administered to students and those scores would be looked at to see the competency level of the teacher.

My Life Changed by Invention

Submitted by Baraa2016 on Fri, 2015-03-20 19:30

When I was a little kid, we were not as advanced as today. What is considered old right now was the highest tech known back then. One example is the first desktop computer. As I moved the mouse with my hand, something maneuvered across the screen. I saw a button and I clicked on it. I clicked on what I later learned was a program on the computer. My parents showed me Microsoft Word, and as I press a key on the keyboard a letter showed up and it felt like magic.

A Change Gonna Come

Submitted by swilliams on Fri, 2015-01-30 13:48

I live in a world that has unfair justice. The police brutality has made a great change in our world today. In doing so, it has made us feel less comfortable. It has also made it more difficult to trust others. Although, this may sound terrible, I believe that justice has to come and fairly. African-Americans have to fight harder to receive justice.

The Battle Still Un-won

Submitted by MarisaM. on Fri, 2015-01-16 01:07

The unrest in Ferguson, following the killing of an unarmed black man by a white police officer, opened my eyes to the internal battles that our nation is still fighting. This is not the first case of its kind, the publicity generated by this case was a great wake-up call. The outrage that followed the grand jury ruling not to indict officer Daren Wilson for the murder of Michael Brown was warranted. This wake-up call for many people, myself included, has brought to light cracks and blind spots that our justice system has developed over the years.

Seasonal Pictures

Submitted by mravarino on Wed, 2015-01-14 15:20

I took these pictures over the span of my first semester of senior year. I really enjoyed this assignment because it forced me to keep an eye on the change weather. I never realized how quickly summer changes into fall. Typically it wouldn't be difficult to photograph a winter shot in Utah, however there hasn't been much snow this winter. My winter picture shows the pond frozen over, which I think is something we don't think about too often. These pictures make me miss summer a lot. I cannot wait to be able to photograph the last picture for spring!

Minimum Wage In Utah

Submitted by Paultabish on Tue, 2014-11-18 17:42
Where the Mnimum Wage Battle Is Fought

In my last article I discussed the pros and cons of raising minimum wage in America. Different states have different policies, and now I am going to explore Utah's minimum wage policies. According to The United States Department Of Labor Utah's current minimum wage is the same as the Federal, which is $7.25 an hour.

Change One Not Two

Submitted by griblake on Sat, 2014-11-15 13:06

Change one not two
has always been her mantra
for one does not have to change the other
if the one has changed

Once the one has changed
the other must follow
or be
left behind

So in the metamorphesis of change
all changes
transforms and mystifies
challenges
you to push forward into your change
of yourself

never start with two
start with one
for you are the one
that seeks the change

Empowered by my father

Submitted by vfarmer on Tue, 2014-10-14 10:35
Christman Lights by taylormcquarrie a Youth Voices photographer on flickr.

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

My name is Vontay Farmer and my name comes from my father. My father’s name is Vaughn so my mom thought it would be nice to make my name Von-tay. Now to be honest a couple of years back for some reason I wanted my name to be Christopher don’t ask me why, but I overcame it and I became happy with my name its what everybody knows me by and calls me i'm basically that boy with the unique name.

Emma Watson's HeForShe Speech

Submitted by cpribble on Wed, 2014-10-01 15:06
External video: 
See video

Recently, I started a discussion about gender inequality and how our nation seems to be plagued by sexism without even knowing it. Since my discussion was posted, Emma Watson made an incredibly impressive speech on feminism for the United Nations at their New York headquarters. This speech was given to kickstart the "HeForShe" campaign which is noted as being a "solidarity movement for gender equality". Their mission statement on their website (http://www.heforshe.org/) is to understand that gender equality is not solely a women's issue, but instead a human rights issue.

Rising Student Debt

Submitted by Mollyconnor on Sun, 2014-09-21 15:12

As a senior in today's society, one of the most pressing issues in my life is what I'm going to do once I graduate high school. Where am I going to go, what am I going to study, and maybe mostly importantly; how am I going to pay for a higher education? Student loans are one way people have been dealing with the high cost of college, but once they get out of school they are in a lot of debt. According to a study done in March of this year, more than 40 million American people are suffering from student debt. That is a more people than the population of over 200 countries.

Gentrification in Oakland

Submitted by loatafine on Fri, 2014-09-12 23:27
http://i2.wp.com/sfbayview.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Black-man-holding-sign http://static.oaklandlocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_2061-659x494.jpg
External video: 
See video

For our senior project, we are required to select a social issue of any sort and we are expected to determine a solution to the problem. Quicker than a second, I decided to base the foundation of my research on gentrification, specifically in Oakland, California. You are probably wondering, “what in the heck is gentrification?” Or you are probably already aware of this social issue, which is great. Well, it is defined as a shift in an urban community toward wealthier residents or businesses and increasing property values.

You always have multiple options

Submitted by kthomas on Fri, 2014-07-18 11:43

Here today,
Gone tomorrow.
Play all night,
Sleep all day.
Carry away
Talk and walk.
Eat and dance.
Sing and palance.
Greet and meet.
Take a seat.
Lucky treat.
Love or hate
Argue or debate.
Say what’s to be said.
Do what’s to be done.
Be proud!
Say it loud.
Lie and cry.
Kiss the diss.
Sooner or later miss.
Pass the test or fail.
Play the game,
Or be played.
Sing to the birds,
Or be a bird.
Act like a fish,
Or be a b***h.
Stay poor, or become rich.
Don’t snitch,
Or you’ll get stitch.
Cry about a breakup,
Or find a way to make up.

Change and Preparation

Submitted by jnine on Tue, 2014-07-15 10:26

Here is a fable I created on scratch.mit.edu.

Project Page

Pretties by Scott Westerfeld

Submitted by Cora on Thu, 2014-06-12 14:39

The book begins with Tally, the protagonist, as a Pretty debating what to wear to a bash. While attending the bash at which she is to be voted into the "Crims" clique, she is followed by someone who appears to be a "Special", a member of Special Circumstances. Tally returns to her carefree life as a Pretty. Her peace is disrupted when Zane, who is the leader of the Crims, asks her about David, whom she loved while she lived in the Smoke. Zane had once known Croy and had been determined to escape to the Smoke before his surgery. He regrets that he didn't go into the wilderness then.

Forgotten Humanity

Submitted by fevans on Tue, 2014-06-10 14:51

Where does the line lie between humane and savage? Eliezer Wiesel, the author of Night is constantly being pushed to his limits during the Holocaust. He experienced things no man should ever have to experience, tortured, and practically stripped of his rights. Can one really maintain their humanity when treated like a savage? Though some may argue that, they are losing their humanity everyday they are in the camp, Elie manages to hold onto his humanity in such tragic conditions such as others losing themselves, fear, and executions of other people.

Caregivers to CEOs- The Evolution of Feminine Gender Roles in Society

Submitted by LookingForMegan on Mon, 2014-05-12 13:46

Girls wear pink; boys wear blue. Girls play dolls; boys play trucks. Girls are sweet; boys are tough. Things along this line might be what you’ve heard throughout history. Though we still have quite a ways to go, constricting gender roles have evolved greatly from the inhibiting, masculinist society of the middle ages, to the “perfect” families of the 1950’s, and through the social turmoil of the 60’s and 70’s into the modern day.