history

How Should We Look at History in Today's World

Submitted by The Movie Destroyer on Tue, 2016-11-01 09:46
Just a plain white page because there isn't a good pic for this

About a month ago my YouTube was fulfilled with this ad of some sort of film called Baker Street. I'm not sure with the name though but the first line was this woman shouting: "The holocaust is real, it's a fact."
I was very annoyed by it.
There is a reason for it and I know, therefore you should better know that some strong language is going to be used. No swear word, I promise.

>>>This article might trigger some people. Please think over your decision before you read.>>>

Puccini's Influence

Submitted by oliviamartha on Sun, 2016-04-03 22:23
Giacomo Puccini

I want to argue in my research paper that Giacomo Puccini's operas changed how operas were written, in terms of the music, the performance, and the plot. I found some interesting information in my research which can definitely help to support my argument.

Foundations of the Maltese Nobility

Submitted by MariaS on Wed, 2016-03-23 13:52
Sicilian Rule

The question I am researching regarding the Knights of Malta discusses the relationship between the Knights and the established Maltese nobility. The claim I am researching is as follows: the entrenched nobility of Malta shifted to reflect the hierarchy that was found in the Knights of St. John, as the island was greatly influenced by the Order’s presence.

The Ark of the Covenant

Submitted by Andy on Tue, 2016-03-22 11:51

The Ark of the Covenant is one of the great mysteries of the world. Many know the Ark from the popular film “Raiders of the Lost Ark;” however, the Ark was said to be a real artifact. According to the biblical story, Moses brought the “Ten Commandments” on two tablets down from Mount Sinai and placed them in gold-acacia chest known as the Ark of the Covenant. The Ark was also said to contain the staff of Aaron and a plate of manna. It was known as the physical manifestation of God and served as the center of worship in the first Jewish Temple before its destruction in.

Culinary Arts

Submitted by _kelsin_ on Mon, 2016-03-21 16:38

As a human species, we have basic necessities, and among these necessities, along with others, is food. My Dad, ever since I could remember, has been an amazing cook. This is what has sparked my interests in the culinary arts.
So far, I have covered the basic history of food. From prehistoric times, man kind has had to hunt for or cultivate their food. Then, as time progressed, we have found things to conserve our foods such as salt; we have also found that heat cooks our foods and helps to trap flavor in it as well as eliminates certain diseases within raw meat, eggs, etc.

Language

Submitted by dominiquebird on Mon, 2016-03-21 00:13

As I continue to wade through research papers, I’ve made some interesting discoveries about language itself and how to better approach my paper.

Origins of the Knight of Malta

Submitted by MariaS on Sun, 2016-03-20 22:24
The Maltese Cross

I am starting research about the Knight of Malta. They are Christian military order that had influence in Europe across history. They still function today, mostly taking part of charitable activities. During their times of influence, they were centered in Malta, and colonized some of the Caribbean. They supported Christian rulers.

This is a summary of the research I have done so far on the order. It focuses on their origins and alternative names:

Puccini's Operas

Submitted by oliviamartha on Sun, 2016-03-20 15:15
Turandot

For my research paper, I want to do something about Puccini's operas. I am not exactly sure yet which question I will ask, so I thought I would start by finding information on his life, because that will definitely be part of my paper. Here is what I found:

His full name: Giacomo Antonio Domenico Michele Secondo Maria Puccini
Born in Tuscany in 1858, Dad died at age 6
Family was the musical dynasty of his hometown Lucca. Every man in the family was involved in music from his great grandfather. They wrote operas, composed church music, and were quite famous in the area.

Sundance Film Festival

Submitted by Marissa_Ula on Sun, 2016-03-20 12:48

While researching the Sundance Film Festival during class this week I have discovered the Film Festival was actually called the Utah Film Festival, located in Salt Lake City, that was founded in 1978 by Sterling Van Wagenen, John Earle, and Cirina Hampton Catania. These co-founders created this festival to attract new American filmmakers to Utah while giving these independent producers a chance to showcase their work. This Festival’s popularity is accredited to Robert Redford, who at the time was a very famous actor and director that publicized this event very well.

Research on the Syrian Crisis

Submitted by Nour2016 on Fri, 2015-12-11 09:26

I have started researching about the Syrian Crisis. There is a lot to read about to actually understand what is currently happening with the Syrian Refugees. First I wanted to understand how it all started, so I researched and saw that the revolution and civil war started all this unease and chaos. The Syrian people only wanted a Democracy and greater freedom, they protested peacefully until the government started to try to stop the protesting with violence. The violence continued and escalated for a few years until ISIS was added to the mix.

Research

Submitted by LightCYC on Fri, 2015-12-11 09:06

When I first started to research articles for my topic, I wasn’t sure how at first. I used Google to help me find some basic information. Although I found a couple that would be useful, it didn’t help. That was, until I started to use some of the research databases that were provided by the school. To my surprise, I found so many articles based off of my topic. Two of the articles that I found and were mentioned in my annotated bibliography were how facial technology might be illegal, and how encrypted messaging apps and SMS are might be monitored by the government.

Bloodshed in the Holy Land

Submitted by Nour2016 on Wed, 2015-11-25 20:40

Dania (17), Raed (22), Saad (19), Ramadan (8 months), Muhammad (16), Iyad (17), Nour (Mother, 5 months pregnant), Rahaf (2) were killed in the past month in the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. There have been many deaths, and people continue to die, this past October there has been around 65 deaths in Palestine, including 14 children, while on the Israeli side, there has been eight deaths. Since 1947 there have been 24,969 killed and 36,260 wounded on the Israeli side and 91,105 killed and 78,038 wounded on the Palestinian side (Jewish Virtual 1).

My name Yunus Shugayev

Submitted by YunusOHS on Thu, 2015-10-15 14:33

My name Yunus means in Turkish is a messenger of god and a dolphin. In english it means a very good looking and cool guy with nice eyes. Easy to make friends with. My parents named me Yunus because they like it. I don't care if people can't say my name. The history behind it. In muslim religion Yunus means messenger of god so one day there was guy want to a town and the people did not like him so he ran by the Ocean and there were people there and he asked for a ride to go somewhere and leave the town.

A Bipolar Name

Submitted by eaglej19 on Thu, 2015-10-15 12:10

My last name is just about the coolest name an american can have. My first name on the other hand is rather disappointing. It isn't that it is hard to say, or that it's overly weird, it's just that it's so darn common. I could be standing in a group of people of 100 and almost guarantee that there is another James there, whether he goes by something else or not. I find this really Annoying. My last name, however is very cool because it is just about the most symbolic and majestic animal there is. The Eagle. It sounds native american does it not?

Because my teacher made me.

Submitted by fmichael on Fri, 2015-05-01 17:50

So today I had the chance to sit down and do an interview with an old neighbor by the name of Kim Jenson 39 year old who has lived in Oakland California for the last 37 years of her life and plans on never leaving either. I asked her a couple of questions today such as why she decided to live in Oakland and her response was pretty much she didn't have a choice since she was only 2 when her family moved to America from China.

Gentrification

Submitted by rwhite on Fri, 2015-05-01 14:28

I took the time to interview my grandmother. According to Ada May, gentrification means wealthier people moving to urban areas and rent rates continuously increasing. She has experienced gentrification in many ways. She says, “I’ve had a lot of friends and people I knew that’s been through it more than I have.” She tells a story about her sister. Her sister’s name is Marie. She used to live in an apartment for 6 years. Many wealthier people, including white people were moving into her apartment complex. Marie’s rent increased by months. Soon enough Marie was struggling to pay her rent.

If you like time travel and history then this is the book for you

Submitted by BryceK18 on Wed, 2015-04-29 19:39

I recently started reading "The Doomsday Book" by Connie Willis. It is a book about time travel and takes place in both the 1300s and 2054, both in Oxford England. It is a very interesting book so far, but time travel is always confusing.

The book was published in 1992, and it does show its age a bit. There is absolutely no mention of cellular phones, and everything still seems to be run on large desktops.

The only things that seem significantly more advanced than today's culture are the fact that they can travel through time, and the incredible vaccination and medical services.

Alcatraz Research #4

Submitted by gabby.paul on Fri, 2015-04-24 13:07

My main research question involved the history of Alcatraz and the uses of the island today.

The Fall of Rome

Submitted by ConMay on Fri, 2015-03-20 15:08

The Fall of the Roman Empire has been researched and debated about for hundreds of years. How could such a powerful and diverse empire with so much power ever crumble? In the article "Why Did Rome Fall?" they mention a suggestion that, since the city of Rome still stands, that Rome itself never fell. Rather, it merely adapted. The article also says that it may began when Emperor Diocletian separated Rome into the Eastern Roman Empire and the Western Roman Empire.

Sarah's Key

Submitted by ChelseaMarie on Thu, 2015-03-12 19:55

The realistic fiction novel Sarah’s Key by Tatiana De Rosnay takes you through the journey of two different people. Sarah, a ten-year-old girl is taken along with her two parents by the French police while they were going door to door arresting people of Jewish descent. The family lived in Paris during July 1942 during the Holocaust. Wanting desperately to save her little brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard promising to come back as soon as they are released.

Differences

Submitted by Hana on Fri, 2015-02-27 21:29

Medgar Wiley Evers
born July 2, 1925
African-American
civil rights activist
fought in World War II
field secretary for the NAACP

Byron De La Beckwith
born November 9, 1920
Caucasian
fertilizer salesman
member of the White Citizens’ Council
member of the Ku Klux Klan

Medgar Wiley Evers
Assassinated
June 12, 1963
shot in the back
in his driveway
refused entrance to the hospital because of color
they realized he was Medgar Wiley Evers
he was finally admitted into the hospital

Byron De La Beckwith
Assassin
June 12, 1963
shot Medgar Wiley Evers

ISIS Declares War On History

Submitted by ConMay on Fri, 2015-02-27 16:02

ISIS has now declared war on history. They have gone into the Mosul Museum and destroyed ancient artifacts from the Akkadian and Assyrian Empires. Some of these artifacts date back to 2,000 years ago. "..with sledgehammers as they attempt to destroy the “idols and gods” worshiped by people “instead of Allah.”" ISIS is exemplifying their power that they are enforcing over the countries in which they are now in control. They're destroying our human history because of their beliefs, and they're able to do so without anyone being able to stop them due to the terror in which they rule with.

Breaks My Heart

Submitted by avenablesims on Tue, 2015-02-24 04:04

My response after watching the movie "Selma: was I felt sad and aggravated, and a part of me felt guilty. None of what happened to those people in the movie was new to me, but it still hurt to know that people went through all of that for freedom and equality.

The Ritual of a Khmer Blood

Submitted by jpho on Mon, 2015-02-23 01:43

One’s point of view for the power to heal an individual or give out treatment is a totally different when it comes to many Cambodian families, but especially upon my own family belief. My family members have told me that during their time in Cambodia, every family has their own struggle based on their beliefs and the change of generations have shaped different people with different mindsets of religious superstitions. My family has their own belief of treating an individual when one is ill or when one is in their mental/physical pain.

Quinceañeras: A Step Toward A Women

Submitted by cgonzalez on Sun, 2015-02-01 01:10
Quinceanera picture film picture
External video: 
See video

As I was researching about quinces, I really got interested. I wanted to know what was a quinceanera or what it meant because I didn't had one. A Quinceanera is meaningful to latin American girls because when they turn 12 is when they're closer to been a lady. Quinceañera (pronounced of "fifteen-year-old"), also called fiesta de quince años, fiesta de quinceañera, quince años or simply quince, is the celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday in parts of Latin America and elsewhere in communities of people from Latin America.