lack of brain cells

Luger Accident

Submitted by C.Wood on Mon, 2010-02-15 20:25

Like many people, I love the Winter Olympics.  During the opening I was horrified to hear that Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili had died during training on the course.  I had heard rumors of the course being too dangerous, and other rumors arguing that he had simply lost control and made a mistake.  While watching the morning news, one station showed the footage of the 21 year old luger's crash.  It was traumatic to watch, and I was surprised they had aired it; however what struck me the most about the video was how Nodar Kumaritashvili would still be alive if the designers of the course had actually used a few brain cells.  The luger was going down the track which is confirmed as being as difficult as it is allowed to be when he lost control and hit the side of the wall.  The force caused him to fly over the basically three foot wall and then he hit an uncovered metal pole right next to the track.  For one thing, a giant metal pole should not be placed right next to the course especially when not dressed in some sort of protective covering, and to have the protecting wall be three feet is ridiculous.