addictive

Addictions

Submitted by maddytrentman on Wed, 2012-09-12 14:57

Addictions are human nature. Mostly everyone I know repeatedly does something that they know is unhealthy or harmful. Common addictions include alcohol, drugs, food, sex, and excessive shopping. I think addictions are formed because people have unconscious anxiety about the changing world around them. Our world is unstable, to say the least, and an addiction is constant. Doing something over and over again, even if it is harmful, makes us feel like we have consistency in our lives. It is something we are familiar with, and that is why we continue to do it.

The Real World

Submitted by ASisneros on Tue, 2010-05-04 23:15

Reality television is, to quote the great Ke$ha, my drug. Of course, South Park, 30 Rock and Grey's Anatomy will always hold special places in my heart, but there's just something about invading the lives of others that makes reality tv so deliciously addictive. Obviously, most of my shows are either scripted or staged, but I can't help but to treat myself to a little guilty pleasure in my spare time. Kat Von D's surfer-dude demeanor and skanky outfits make me feel tough. Khloe Kardashian's inappropriate jokes give me the giggles. Casey James' high notes melt me into oblivion. Maybe it's because undeneath the reality star facade, I recognize my world in these people. Unlike the highly sculpted and perfected characters of Oscar-winning movies, there's an element of rawness and truth in such shows. I see a little Alex Jones in Rob Dyrdek. Rev Run's random humor calls to mind my dad on a good day. And John Sargeant is Simon Cowell reincarnated (not really, Johnny boy). I think the appeal of reality television is the idea that we all lead lives that could be found compelling by someone somewhere out in the world.