Photography

Bio

Submitted by M. Ordonez on Tue, 2010-09-07 10:01

I've lived in Salt Lake my whole life & have attended Judge Memorial all four years of high school. I enjoy learning about psychology, I love to travel, and I absolutely love the fall. Go Bulldogs!

Bio 1430

Submitted by SarahTL on Wed, 2010-09-01 09:36

I'm a student at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.

My Year in Digi Photo

Submitted by shanek on Mon, 2010-06-14 20:03

This class has been truly a blast. I love all the things we have learned and I definitely feel I have learned a good amount of things about Photography and Photoshop. I have learned so many interesting things about the way photography has come to be and all the different skills involved in photography. At first, I always thought photography was simply taking a picture, now I know all of the different traits of a photo that bring it to be what it is. This is what I have come to learn and feel is most important from what I have gathered from this great class.

Digital Photography Final Reflection

Submitted by nataliad on Mon, 2010-06-14 18:38

How do you contribute to the Youth Voices community?

I contribute to the youth voices community by posting my work and my writing for other people to see. I also comment on other people's work and leave them feedback.

What is easy for you to do here?

It was easy to edit the photos because the class had a very relaxed atomosphere. Everyone was helping eachother out and it made it a nice and easy environment to edit photos in.

What is hard, but worth the struggle?

I thought that it was hard to write so many posts about our work because it forced everyone to think deeply about their work and realize what it really means

What do you wish you could do, but can't?

I wish that we could have gone on more photowalks because they were fun and helped me learn about and grow in photography.

Final Discussion

Submitted by AlexandraB on Mon, 2010-06-14 12:56

I contributed to the youth voices group by adding my own work, and adding more work to the site. This brings out a new artist, but also a way for other photographers to learn things by looking at my work. For me, the easiest thing was writing about my work. I found this easy because it's my own work, and I have my own story to tell about it. The hardest thing was putting my own individuality into a theme of photography I had never done before, which was music photography. This was especially difficult because it's hard to find music photography while taking photos in John Jay Park, or walking along a couple blocks on the Upper East Side. I think that's what makes taking music photography so interesting, because it's a challenge. One thing that I wish I could have done was putting portraits into my portfolio of music photography, but it's definitely something that I will do in the future. Taking a posed photo of someone is so much harder because you can't freeze time, but it's something I want to do.

My Experience with Photography

Submitted by MaeveK on Mon, 2010-06-14 12:56

I have posted discussions on my work all year long. I have also commented on others' work. I feel that this has helped me expand my work and become more open and familiar with the work of my peers. At the beginning, it was hard for me to write about and express my thoughts and feelings about my developing work and how to commetn well and correctly on the posts of others. I found, though, once I got used to the process, I enjoyed the experience. It was very educational on how approach my work and the work of others, mainly in photography. My experience working with youthvoices.net has definitly been positive and has started me on sharing my work with the world. It has taught me how to share my thoughts and accomplishments in photography on the web, which was something I though I could never be able to do. Because of my digital photography class at school and my experiences on youthvoices.net I am much more eager and excited to start sharing and exhibiting my photographs. 

How I'm Doing

Submitted by HollieP on Mon, 2010-06-14 12:52

I can contribute my work with photography, and my opinion to youth voices. I think it is easiest to do what's up and they are very simple, but full of good information. Reading the discussions is very thought provoking. I enjoy responding to others' work as well. It is more off a struggle to join into big discussions because either no one responds, or i never know a response has been made.

Final Reflection

Submitted by ClaudiaF on Mon, 2010-06-14 12:52

I contribute to the Youth Voices community by sharing my ideas and view of the world through my photography.  This job of actually sharing my photos is easy to do on this site.  Also, commenting on other pieces of work is an easy thing for me to do on Youth Voices.  However, something that is hard yet worth the struggle is the photo discussions that go along with my photos.  Even though these discussions are somewhat difficult and do take a lot of effort, in the end they are worth it because they successfully wrap up my ideas expressed in photos.  One thing that I wish I could do but can't is to have had even more time to upload and share my photographs.  This way, I could have expressed even more of my work to the Youth Voices community.

Hangin With Youth Voices, A reflection

Submitted by gabriellav on Mon, 2010-06-14 09:51

1) I contribute to the youthvoices community by posting my work and hoping that I get some comments.

2) Watching the photoshop tutorials and experimenting with my own photos I found to be very simple and relaxing.

3) Typing up discussions that pertained to my theme I found a little difficult but worth the struggle.

4) I really wanted to learn how to change parts of black and white photos into color, but I think that I can figure out thanks to Summopaint.

Digi Photo

Submitted by katherinem on Mon, 2010-06-14 09:32

During the year I contributed to the Youth Voices Community by posting (hopefully helpful) comments on the site as well as writing by own discussions. It is very easy to post comments and discussions, as well as find things that interest you on the web site. To find something that pertains to you you can just look for it in the web search. At times it might be challenging to be a active participant and inspire people to comment on your work but this is worth the struggle. I wish that I was able to post discussions that are very popular. 

Final Reflection- My Experiences with Youth Voices

Submitted by kisas on Mon, 2010-06-14 09:23

Throughout the year, I've used Youth Voices to publish the work I've done in my digital photography class in order to recieve feedback. I feel like I've contributed my point of view on what photography is by sharing the work that I've done. All of my work represents my outlook on the world and so by posting my images in Youth Voices, I've been sharing my view of the world with other students. It's easy for me to just post discussions here, but it's hard to get feedback from other people. I wish that there was a better way to interact with other students, like a wall to post comments on, just like Facebook. I feel like there should be a more personal aspect to Youth Voices. Sometimes it just feels like the stuff I post is going nowhere. I would be much happier if I were able to interact with other people more.

The Best of Free Image Editing Online

Submitted by susanettenheim on Fri, 2010-06-04 07:58

This discussion is a gathering place for all information about editing images using free online software.

Where I've Been and Where I'm Going

Submitted by ArmenS on Mon, 2010-05-24 13:00

I feel that my work has progressed over the year and has become more interesting and thought provoking. In the beginning of the year I had little knowledge about lighting and object placement in a picture, but now I know the fundamentals of these concepts and I know how to incorporate them into my work. I like to take photographs of cityscapes with different sorts of lighting provided by the sky and reflections in the water. The reason I take photographs like this is because I like to see the way the different natural environments react to and contrast the urban environments. In the future, I wish to further my knowledge of lighting and weather because I feel like these elements of lighting and different weather will contribute to my urban photographs and give them a natural element to balance the not-so-natural urban environments.

Exploring Photography

Submitted by danieller on Wed, 2010-05-19 09:31

The reason I love photography is because I love to take photos of many different things. For example, I love to take pictures of flowers, dogs, and the world around me! I love nature. There are many things around me that I love to capture in my photos. I want to learn more techniques about taking photos and use them in the near future.

When I am doing my work, I make sure to only capture pictures are the exact moment I see them. Instead of randomly snapping photos I wait for the right moment. In my photos, I try to make the background blurry and the main centerpiece focused. I do this in order to make my photos appear more striking.

Urban Clouds

Submitted by DanielleRa on Tue, 2010-05-18 08:04

I take photos to capture to essence of the city I live in and love. But I do digital photography to build on and improve those photos to make them something really special, striking, and personal. I enjoy taking pieces that aren't especially impressive by themselves, and tweaking them to make a really beautiful piece. My goal in the end is to make the viewer stop and look at my picture because it stands out from other pieces. My favorite thing about this work is watching the makings of a really good piece come together.  

When I first take photographs, I try and capture the city scene in the best way possible. I want to show people the best of my world in New York. The tools I use to enhance the photos I take to show the viewer what a wonderful place New York City is, and represent it as best I can. I take pieces with similar feelings of vibes.  When I edit these pictures together, they really blend together and complement each other well.

In the Land, Sea, and Sky

Submitted by CocoF on Mon, 2010-05-17 13:00

My collage is entitled "Land, Sea, and Sky". When I first started this piece, I wasn't exactly sure where I was going with it or what I wanted to do, but as I began to put things together it started to take shape. My favorite thing about my work is the way the pieces blend together and have a deeper connection, rather than just being a bunch of different objects shoved into one picture. I created this piece because it sends a message, about the environment and how it's important to keep it clean and to not damage it. In the future, I hope that whatever else I create (whether it's a piece of art or something else entirely) also sends a message.

Beach vs. City collage and Photography

Submitted by kellyp on Mon, 2010-05-17 09:42

Every time I take a picture, I don’t focus on making it perfect, I just enjoy getting a point or statement across if I have one.  If I don’t have a point that I’m trying to get across, I’ll settle for just sharing my perspective on things with others.  Having a theme for picture taking is easier, because that way I’m not taking pictures of any stray item that comes my way.  Especially since I live in a big, beautiful city with my theme (buildings and city life) surrounding me, it’s easy to find something to capture with a camera. 

Photography Inspiration: Michael Kenna

Submitted by MichelleT on Sun, 2010-04-18 14:37

Something I have become interested in learning more about is black and white contemporary landscape photography. I started to become interested in Michael Kenna because his photos are in black and white and they emphasize lighting more making it look really magical.

So far I have learned that Kenna doesn't have a preference to Night photography or Day photography. He prefers to find "timeless" imagery that can be taken at any time of the day because he feels that "confining [himself] to one particular area or one particular time period is... self limiting" 

This information is from The Nocturnes http://www.thenocturnes.com/resources/kenna.html. The source of this information is the interview of Michael Kenna by Tim Baskerville. The information that I've been reading is from the organization dedicated to night photography, The Nocturnes, which was founded by Tim Baskerville.

A look into the world of Aaron Siskind

Submitted by DinaP on Mon, 2010-03-15 13:20

Something I have become interested in learning more about is detailed pictures of surfaces or walls. I started to become interested in Aaron Siskind because as I was going through the list of photographers given on the school website, I clicked on his link and I saw interesting photos of graffiti-type photos on walls and other black and white photos of surfaces with different patterns on it the surfaces. He has unusual work that doesn't seem very noticeable at first but really catches your interest if you look closer to his work. So far I have learned about Aaron Siskind that he was born in NYC on December 4, 1903. He was an English teacher in a NYC public school before he started photography in 1932. He was part of a group that was supposed to document neighborhood life during the depression. His work consists of photos of walls and surfaces and other photos about everyday life, photos such as in Harlem. I like his work also because they have a grainy, more old type of look to them. They are not present photos and I think the antique quality gives them more spark and his abstract photos are interesting too.

Bio

Submitted by 15TALEROD on Sat, 2010-03-06 21:22

()()
(^-^)
 (")(")

O  O
  (O.O)
O(  0 )O
    UU

(-)(-)
    (   -   )
    // (   )\\
   // ll  ll  \\
  ll  ll  ll   ll

Michael Kenna

Submitted by AnnaC on Wed, 2010-03-03 10:41

I have chosen to study Michael Kenna because his pictures are very interesting, and they give a very cozy, dark, soft mood to the picture.  He used black and white film, but his pictures have so much character and feeling in them.