californication

Californication

Submitted by SeanD on Wed, 2011-03-23 19:45

One of the most interesting projects of the year thus far has been to illustrate a music lyric or literary text using photography. As someone deeply interested in music, I was eager to start this project as soon as possible and began listing ideas for songs I could use - but I was faced with a problem; most of the subjects in the songs I chose were somewhat difficult to capture using photography. After brainstorming and narrowing down my selections, I decided on a lyric from one final song, took dozens of photos and edited them to create one image that fit the one I had imagined:

Amongst the songs I had considered was "Californication" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, from the 1994 album of the same name. The track comments on the increasing emphasis that the world has on materialism and being what the media says is 'perfect,' especially those images stemming from Hollywood and based on celebrities.  I had always liked the following lyric and thought it would be interesting to include in the project: