Trayvon Martin

In Memoriam, for their Love of Football

Submitted by SMerch on Sat, 2014-12-06 12:39
AP photograph of Akai Gurley's building in East New York

(Inspired by Aracelis Girmay’s “Night, for Henry Dumas”)

Anthony Baez, 1964-1994,
did not die in a hot air balloon
or in a tempest out at sea
but was strangled at 29
in University Heights.
It was not a freak occurrence
out of a blockbuster motion picture
or a Jules Verne adventure story.
Instead it is the usual game
played by two teams
shirts and skins.
The cobalt shirts of Justice
and the black and brown skins

Annotation of Obamas Speech Towards the Trayvon Martin Case

Submitted by ferham on Wed, 2013-07-24 10:24

This is my annotation on the speech Obama gave about the Trayvon Martin case.

Trayvon Martin, A Permanent Symbol

Submitted by aabdelhamid on Wed, 2013-07-17 10:11
JUSTICE for Trayvon Martin!-Brian Methe Creative Commons image on flickr

In "Trayvon Martin’s Legacy,” written by the Editorial Board, from a New York Times editorial, the writers discuss how lenient the laws are towards helping Zimmerman win the case. Most importantly the writer elaborates on how racism will rise due to Zimmerman’s acquittal.

Trayvon Martin: Murder or Accident?

Submitted by d.gaztambide on Sun, 2012-04-22 23:07

The death of unarmed, seventeen year old Trayvon Martin has captivated the nation with the help of media and civil activists. Many have pinpointed this case as an act of racism and the fervor has infuriated the nation. These emotions were heightened when the shooter, George Zimmerman, was not arrested due to a controversial stand your ground law in Florida that allows citizens to use deathly force in the form of self defense. However as the facts of the case began to surface and the people of America became defiant, Zimmerman was finally arrested\ and charged with second-degree murder.

Response to Trayvon Martin

Submitted by Stevenc.G1 on Wed, 2012-04-18 10:15

Reading the articles about the shooting and death of Trayvon Martin are shocking. I never thought this would happen here in the United States.

Learning about what happened shocked me and made me feel uncomfortable. The reason it made me feel uncomfortable is because I am also a person of color. Reading about what happened to him makes me feel like now that could happen to me. And to read that all that Trayvon had was an iced tea and a bag of skittles is absurd.

Trayvon Martin

Submitted by jack_K777 on Wed, 2012-04-18 10:08

This article is all about how to raise awareness of racial profiling for young black men and how to avoid or handle the situation if you become a victim. I think this is a very good article and has some very useful information. In paragraph number three the ending really had a great point. When someone is racist it doesn’t single the person who is being violated rather it exposes the racist person and shows that they are scared and have insecurities. I think if a lot more people looked at it like that there would be less prejudice in the world. Thank you for writing this article very touching.

Police have too much power.

Submitted by adamr.g1 on Wed, 2012-04-18 10:02

I read “Why is the N.Y.P.D After Me?” and it makes me feel like the police are just looking for someone that is a different race. It makes me feel that the police are having too much fun abusing there power. Honestly, I don’t think police have changed much since the racial wars. In half the stops police cite the vague “furtive movements” as the reason for the stop.

Trayvon Martin

Submitted by awells13 on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:24

Being a white woman living in Windsor, Colorado, hearing about the Trayvon Martin situation was a shock. Windsor is a somewhat sheltered town with little crime and there isn't an issue with minority groups. I believe that any person walking to the store should feel safe. Especially in their own town. Never once have i been approached by a person under the account of looking suspicious.

"4. Zimmerman was carrying a 9 millimeter handgun. Martin was carrying a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea. [ABC News]"

Trayvon Martin - Race Shouldn't be Reason for Suspicion

Submitted by JoshuaB.G1 on Mon, 2012-04-16 10:21

While I have no real opinion on the subject of being racially profiled I do believe it is happening and is only just slightly better than it was back in the day. People every day treat others differently due to their race and it seems from all the things we were told that it’s clear that they are treated unfairly by the cops. In the article “For Trayvon and Emmett: My "Walking While Black" stories” Donna Summer’s a reporter shares stories about times that she was treated unfairly due to her race and gender.

Bryon Williams Interviews on Trayvon Martin

Submitted by tommybuteau on Thu, 2012-04-12 22:23

This is a great video with some influential speakers sharing their thoughts on how this case has affected their families. Well worth watching if you are interested in learning about how the Trayvon Martin case is being perceived.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/rock-center/46887906#46887906

The Case of Trayvon Martin

Submitted by AdrienneMBurr on Thu, 2012-04-12 17:04

47 days after teenager Trayvon Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman the trial by jury has begun. CNN has the latest news on the case-

George Zimmerman made his first court appearance Thursday, wearing gray jail coveralls and speaking only a few words as his arraignment was set for next month.

Zimmerman faces a charge of second degree murder in the 17-year-old's death.

Trayvon Martin

Submitted by Layne Haber on Wed, 2012-04-04 15:33

Trayvon Martin was ruthlessly murdered on account of mere suspicion due to the fact that he was a young black man with a hoodie. This national tragedy has spurred many protests and rallies to protest the killing, and the failure to arrest the killer, George Zimmerman. However, the country should ask itself why the death of an innocent seventeen year old is what people need to be motivated to combat racism.

Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent

Submitted by asheikap on Wed, 2012-04-04 09:30

I feel for Anthony Turner’s pain when he shows his emotions in the article he wrote called, "Trayvon Martin Unarmed and Innocent," He knows how it feels to be bullied or pushed around by people, but that still doesn’t give a reason for someone to hurt or murder anyone because they look like they're up to no good.

Hoodie Movement

Submitted by andrews on Tue, 2012-04-03 14:51

Tragedy struck on February 26 when Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in Sanford, Florida. He was unarmed at the time when he shot by George Zimmerman, who claims he was acting out of self-defense.

This horrific event has swept across the nation and has since started the so-called ‘hoodie movement’. Miami Heat players Lebron James and Dwayne Wade decided to go viral with their picture of the entire team with hoodies promoting Martin’s cause. Since then, there have been multiple public figures donning hoods themselves in the interest of justice.

Innocent Deaths Need to Stop

Submitted by adot on Tue, 2012-04-03 08:37

I was reading this article that one of my motivators gave to me called “My Son Doesn't Look Like Trayvon Martin,“ by Dan Cantor and he made some pretty good points. From the beginning he started to say: “A few weeks before the Trayvon was killed, Ramaley Graham was killed in the Bronx,” and this lit of a light in my head. I did hear about this.

Insane and Ridiculous: Trayvon Martin's Killing

Submitted by dariannym on Mon, 2012-04-02 12:57

I admire Anthony Turner’s essay, “Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent,” from http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p... because he's not a heartless person and actually takes his time to talk about Trayvon. There's no reason somebody's life should be taken away because of how they dress or what other people decide about their personality.

Stand Your Ground is Flawed

Submitted by joscelyned on Mon, 2012-04-02 10:39
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Trayvon_Martin_Poster.png

I feel terribly sad just like the rest of the country about the killing of Trayvon Martin. In Anthony Turner's article on the New York Times Learning Network, "Unarmed and Innocent about the death of Trayvon Martin," http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p... , he explains what happened and his opinion on the facts. He also shows his sadness towards Trayvon's situation and sympathy for his family.

Trayvon Tribute by U-Street Music Ft Bangem Jones

Submitted by thaliac on Mon, 2012-04-02 09:30

You are missing some Flash content that should appear here! Perhaps your browser cannot display it, or maybe it did not initialize correctly.

When I heard this song it really touched me. The death of Trayvon Martin has hurt a lot of people. Including ones who don't know him. I like how they started the song with the phone call a witness made to the cops. I want to know how Zimmerman feels about how he has hurt thousands of people. Everybody talks about how they feel, what they think, and what they want to happen to Zimmerman. But what does Zimmerman feel? What is he thinking?

http://tweetmysong.com/t9kbpxo

When does an innocent high school student become “intimidating”?

Submitted by darialisb on Mon, 2012-04-02 09:26

I'm reading Anthony Turner's article, "Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent," and I agree with him all the way because he makes a lot of sense on what he wrote. I’m wondering how a grown man can take a young adult's life away just because he felt intimidated. In particular what I’m wondering about is why they haven't put the man who killed him in jail yet.

I Am Trayvon Martin

Submitted by adot on Mon, 2012-04-02 08:30

I think that what happened to this Trayvon Martin kid was very wrong and I am trying to show my support. Protesters are using the "I Am Trayvon Martin" all over the world, and that's why I decided to write that on this image of me and Trayvon.

Hoodies On for Trayvon

Submitted by thaliac on Fri, 2012-03-30 10:33

I just read a Wikipedia article about the Trayvon Martin case:

Shooting of Trayvon Martin. (2012, March 30). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 14:17, March 30, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin&old...

Zimmerman should have listened to the cops

Submitted by monishan on Fri, 2012-03-30 08:39

This is just a little video about the Trayvon Martin case and my opinion on it.

Trayvon Martin

Submitted by kiseemp on Thu, 2012-03-29 12:40

I was intrigued while reading "Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent" by Anthony Turner. I found this article very informing and helpful. I found out a lot of things I didn't know, and I felt sympathy towards Trayvon Martin and his family.

RIP Trayvon Martin

Submitted by adot on Thu, 2012-03-29 12:11
External video: 
See video

This song is pretty good. I like how he put what really happened to the boy Trayvon Martin. I guess the hook is basically an out line about him.I Also like the beat im not going to lie that really the only reason I let the song play out.But It was pretty good

Plies - We Are Trayvon (Trayvon Martin Tribute)

Submitted by giovanc on Thu, 2012-03-29 10:24

Plies is a rapper who is with slip-n-slide records. He's from Miami, Florida.

"Plies is the first major celebrity to dedicate a song to Trayvon Martin and his family called “We Are Trayvon”. R.I.P."

He's from Florida, just like Trayvon Martin, and he's an African-American who thinks this is about racial profiling.

http://keepittrill.com/media/2012/03/plies-trayvon-trayvon-martin-tribute/

Trayvon Innocent Young Man

Submitted by adot on Wed, 2012-03-28 13:29

I admire Anthony Turner's essay “Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent” from http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p... because people really need to know what really happened and how innocent that boy really was. This type of thing can happen to anyone no matter who you are, so that is something that everyone needs to fear, innocent murders.

Trayvon Martin: There Are Other Ways to Deal With Problems

Submitted by thaliac on Wed, 2012-03-28 10:05
Skittles at the #trayvon protest in #baltimore By joshsisk on flickr

I treasure Anthony Turner’s essay, “Trayvon Martin, Unarmed and Innocent,” from http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/26/on-trayvon-martin-a-guest-p... because he couldn't have said it better. No one should feel the need to take somebody’s life away because of their color.

I read this article because my teacher gave it to me, and not only that, I was curious about it. Everyone was talking about what happened to Trayvon and I was lost. So now that I know what happened. It’s shocking, unbelievable, and sad.

Trayvon Martin Case

Submitted by daeshaniqueb on Tue, 2012-03-27 11:21

In this video I was pretending to be a new reporter on the Trayvon Martin case.

The Controversy of Trayvon Martin

Submitted by alexmancini on Sun, 2012-03-25 22:49

Last week, a young, 17-year old black male named Trayvon Martin was shot by a man who was trying to act as a neighborhood watchman. The only problem with this shooting is that it appears that Trayvon was completely innocent and was only walking back from a convenience store, after buying some candy. This case has recently created quite a stir because officials were at first reluctant to arrest the man who shot Trayvon, who is named George Zimmerman, because Zimmermen said he was acting out of self-defense because he believed Trayvon was acting suspiciously.

The Tragedy of Trayvon Martin

Submitted by sydrich__10 on Thu, 2012-03-22 14:12

I'm sure many people have seen the recent tragedy on the news about Trayvon Martin's death. If not, he was an African American teenager who was recently gunned down in a gated community where he was visiting a parent. His killer was George Zimmerman, a white man, and it seems that there was no real reason behind his motive for shooting besides the fact that Martin was black. So is racism still a part of modern society?