advisory083

The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Braken

Submitted by 17zhul on Fri, 2013-06-14 11:33

When Ruby work up on her tenth birthday, something changed within her. Her parents didn't know her because Ruby accidentally wiped away her parents memory. So, when she woke up, her parents didn't know who she was. And they sent her to Thurmond "rehabilitation camp". She survived the mysterious disease that killed many but she and the other emerged with something far worse: frightening abilities they coud not control. Now at age sixteen, Ruby is one of the dangerous ones. Read the rest to find out what happens to Ruby!

The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Bracken

Submitted by 17zhul on Thu, 2013-06-13 18:20

"I wished that Cate could come and take me away from them, back to the only people who would ever embrace me for the monster I was" -Page 287.

"The Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens

Submitted by 17carusonem on Tue, 2013-06-04 11:28
"The Tale of Two Cities" Cover

"Under the guidance of her Christian pastors, she entertained herself, besides, with such humane achievements as sentencing a youth to have his hands cut off, his tongue torn out with pincers, and his body burned alive, because he had not kneeled down in the rain to do honour to a dirty procession of monks which passed within his view, at a distance of some fifty or sixty yards."

The Darkest Minds By: Alexandra Braken

Submitted by 17zhul on Mon, 2013-06-03 11:17

"She sucked in a sharp breath between her teeth. 'I wish mine were, too.'" -Page 25.

The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

Submitted by 17oconnellb on Wed, 2013-05-29 11:26

"The Third Wheel" is the seventh installment of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series by acclaimed author, Jeff Kinney.
It follows Greg Hefley while he tries to find love on Valentine's Day.

When he hears that there is a Valentine's Day dance at his school; he cant wait! But no one seems to want to go with him. he asks his uncle for advice and he tells him that he needs a wing man. Naturally, he gets his best friend Rowley.

But thinks take an odd twist when Rowley gets the chicken pox and STILL manages to steal Greg's date.

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

Submitted by 17oconnellb on Wed, 2013-05-29 11:23

It is the summer before Auden's first year in college. She has decided to visit her father, step mother, and new sister. she is looking for a break form her cynical, feminist, mother.
All of Auden's life she has cared about academics and nothing more. She never had a normal childhood because of this and was often outcasted by others.
On Auden's first day she meets a boy named Jack and hooks up with him in the dunes at the beach at a bonfire party. She regrets this when she finds out he is on the rebound when she meets his exgirlfriend the net day. they both work at the same store.

Divergent By: Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17zhul on Sun, 2013-05-26 15:41

This book is a total of 487 pages. This book was amazing. Once you are 16, you get to make the decision of your life time. Your choice will decided your friends, determines your beliefs, and your choice will change you... In this book a girl named Beatrice switches from the faction Abnegation to Dauntless. When she took the test she found that she is a Divergent and are extremely dangerous. The Erudite faction never saw eye-to-eye with the Abnegation. Once at the Dauntless faction, her life changes. There is tough competition, she meets Four (Tobias), and starts a whole new life.

Divergent By: Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17zhul on Fri, 2013-05-24 18:05

"Christina looks at me like she no longer recognizes me." -Page 152.

This was after Eric and Four chose their teams and are playing capture the flag. While Tris' team was arguing what to do, Tris climbs the Ferris wheel with Four and find out about Eric's flag location. This was a whole new brave side of Tris that she liked. No more selfless person. So, Christina wasn't used to a new person, but it was a good change. This book so far is amazing, it's a real page-turner!

Divergent By: Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17zhul on Fri, 2013-05-24 17:58

"Your Abnegation is showing." - Page 82.

This was supposed to be uploaded a week ago but forgot to copy and paste from Google Docs to here. So anyway, up to this part of the book, Tris decided to go with the Dauntless faction. She didn't want to stay in Abnegation anymore because she thinks that she isn't selfless enough to be committed for life. She gets friends there and they sometimes see her Abnegation showing. The Abnegation faction can't show affection and so Tris isn't used to seeing people kiss or show affection.

Laguna Cove, Alyson Noel

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sat, 2013-05-11 21:35
"Laguna Cove" Cover

This week I read from page 300 to 310 in "Dear Life You Suck". I also read from page 1 to page 158 in "Laguna Cove".

"...Anne's life as she knew it was completely crashing down around her, and there was nothing she could do to save it" page 2

Ultraviolet By: R.J. Anderson

Submitted by 17zhul on Sat, 2013-05-11 12:53

This book was a total of 303 pages. It's about a sixteen year old girl called Alison, and she wakes up in a mental institution. As she slowly piece her memory back, she realizes that she already confessed to killing Tori Beaugrand, the most perfect girl in school. But here's the twist: Alison thinks that she disintegrated Tori, the case is a mystery. One moment, the two were arguing, and then the next minute Tori poof-ed into nothing... No one can just make someone disappear right? Unless Alison is going crazy like her mother always feared.

Ultraviolet By: R.J. Anderson

Submitted by 17zhul on Fri, 2013-05-10 11:26

"Don't think of me as an alien, " said Faraday. -Page 227.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17fallaitj on Fri, 2013-05-10 11:20
Insurgent Book Cover

I read up to page 404 of Insurgent.
I found this quote interesting: “I hear voices in the living room- a chorus of the, in fact, joined by occasional burst of laughter and a faint melody plucked on an instrument, a banjo or a guitar. It is not what I expect in an Abegnation house, where everything is always quiet, no matter how many people are gathered within.”

Dear Life You Suck, Scott Blagden

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sat, 2013-05-04 22:05
"Dear Life You Suck" Cover

This week I read from page 133 to 299 in "Dear Life You Suck".

"I throw the weapon over the cliff and grab my chest." pg.181

Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya

Submitted by 17oconnellb on Tue, 2013-04-30 11:34

I had to read this book for English class and expected it to be yet another boring, torturous book. Surprisingly; I really enjoyed it and at times read more than what was assigned.
Nectar in a Sieve follows a young Indian woman named Rukmani, a young woman from a privileged family who marries beneath her at the age of twelve to a poor tenant farmer named Nathan.

Mila 2.0 By: Debra Driza

Submitted by 17zhul on Tue, 2013-04-30 11:32

Mila started out living with her mother in a small Minnesota town when the lie started unraveling. It all started with a fire that took away her father, and then sent her mother and her to live in a small town. She was never meant to learn the truth, or even who she was, or what she was made of. She wasn't supposed to remember what happened in the past since she was built in a computer science lab and programmed to be able to do what ordinary humans couldn't.

Mila 2.0 By: Debra Driza

Submitted by 17zhul on Tue, 2013-04-30 11:20

"No. I erased all of it, Mila-I'm sure. Which means you managed to store those memories of your own. That's what evolving means. You're becoming more human every day... even if you don't realize it. Whatever you do, dont forget that." -Page 440.

Dear Life You Suck, Scott Blagden

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sat, 2013-04-27 22:04
"Dear Life You Suck" Cover

This week I read from page 1 to 132 in the book "Dear Life You Suck". "A danger to myself and others." is a quote from the first page.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17fallaitj on Fri, 2013-04-26 11:23
Insurgent Book Cover

(Done for HW)
I read up to page 111.
I found this quote interesting: “I saw her on Visiting Day, a thousand years ago”.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Submitted by 17oconnellb on Wed, 2013-04-24 11:20

Seventeen year old Mia was always just an ordinary girl with an ordinary life. she loved classic music, dressed modestly, had two loving parents and a little brother, and a bad boy boyfriend. He played in a band that was rising in popularity.
Her life comes to a halting stop one snowy morning in Oregon when her and her family get in the car to go visit some family and friends.
They get into a serious car accident and the entire family is sent spinning off of the side of the road. Both Mia and her little brother survive. Their parents are dead.

Ask the Passengers By: A.S. King

Submitted by 17zhul on Tue, 2013-04-23 11:34

This book was a total of 293 pages. It was about a girl named Astrid ones who really wants to spill out all of her secrets with, but no one seems to be there for her. Her mother's pushiness and her father's lack of interest tells her that they're the last people she should go to help for. Instead of going to people, she sits on the backyard picnic table where she can spends hours watching planes fly over her picnic table.

Ask the Passengers By: A.S. King

Submitted by 17zhul on Tue, 2013-04-23 11:20

"Not we love you no matter what but you're our daughter no matter what." -Page 262.

Endless Summer, Jennifer Echols

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sun, 2013-04-21 20:36
"Endless Summer" Cover

This book is a sequel to the book “The Boys Next Door” also by Jennifer Echols. The drama with Lori and the Vader boys continues as they go through their summer. Adam and Lori are now together. They leave the marina one night to go on a date. They go into the forest near both their houses and look at the stars from Adam’s truck. In the end, they both fall asleep, until they wake up the next morning, and everyone is mad at them. Lori’s father is furious at both of them (especially Adam) and band them from seeing each other for the rest of the summer.

The Boys Next Door by Jennifer Echols

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sat, 2013-04-20 23:57
"The Boys Next Door" Cover

In the text, Lori is a typical teenage girl who’s summer consists of working at her neighbor’s (the Vader’s) marina on the lake. The Vader’s have three boys named Adam, Sean, and Cameron that are around Lori’s age. Lori has always been one of the guys because, she grew up with the three boys next door and with her brother (McGillicuddy) on top of that. Her and Adam have always been the closest because, they are the exact same age and have been best friends since they were young. Adam and Sean always fight because, they don’t get along at all.

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Submitted by 17fallaitj on Sat, 2013-04-20 23:45
Insurgent Book Cover

I found this quote interesting: "I know it's smart to keep one of our guns. But it would have been a relieaf to hand it over."

Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Sat, 2013-04-20 21:31
"Saving Zoe" Cover

In the text, it has been a year since Echo’s sister Zoe died. Echo is a fifteen year old girl, starting as a freshman. She is trying to get over her sister’s death, and start a new life. Both her parents have by, her father staying at work for long hours and her mother by taking pills to make her emotionless.

Trinkets, Kirsten Smith

Submitted by 17zamagiase on Fri, 2013-04-19 11:35
"Trinkets" Cover

This week I read up to page 278, and on page 103, the author says "the loneliness of victory can overtake you".

"The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Submitted by 17carusonem on Fri, 2013-04-19 11:34
"The Secret Garden" Cover

In my book, "The Secret Garden" there is an outbreak of a disease called cholera. This disease killed many people, including her parents, and left her all by herself. She, however, wasn't terribly affected by this plague, because she was already used to always being alone. She one day was in her bedroom laying down on her bed when she heard a mam and a woman in her house. After talking to them and introducing herself, she found out that they were there to tell her that she was going to go to stay with her uncle, Archibald Cravens, in England.

Submitted by 17carusonem on Fri, 2013-04-19 11:24
"The Secret Garden" Cover

“The Secret Garden” starts off in a small town and focuses on the story of a girl named Mary and her family. Mary was neglected as a child, and her mom didn’t give her much attention. In fact, Mary was bullied a lot as well. For example, she was called “Miss Mary quite contrary” by and friends and her classmates. Even her teachers said that she was so plain and boring compared to her mother who was such a beautiful woman. Mary became quiet and very vulnerable after these experiences, and she still is. Her mother even made her feel bad about herself and about who she is growing up into.